By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Owners, how satisfied have you been with this first year?

victor83fernandes said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Bought 3 games. Spiderman Miles, FFVIIR dlc and Ratchet and Clank.

The games were great but man, I barely turned on the thing mainly cause I play on PC but I was expecting this on year one. The disc drive is also pretty noisy. I still don't really like the look of it but it is certainly a conversation starter compared to my Series X which no one notices. Some of the early bugs were a bit concerning but they got fixed with patches. I will probably use it a lot more next year though. It's annoying that we still don't have VRR support. I also hate the new prices of games.

The PSN store is much more improved than the experience I got on the PS4. The Dual Sense controller is amazing and on games that are properly implemented, it gives you insane level of immersion. The loading is also very fast which is a god send compared to last gen. I also like the fact that many old games that were struggling to hit unlocked frame rates last gen can run a pretty stable 60fps if not more. I was originally thinking that the SSD space was gonna be problematic but thanks to the compression engines, the space that a lot of the games require is a lot less than I was expecting.

Overall I'll rate it a 6/10 for first year. I was hoping there would be more exclusives that shows off the next gen experience but delays made the experience a bit more meh. It is off to a good start though and I do like the BC enhancements. As usual, first year is generally a slow start.

Why is everyone on about disc drive noise? It makes noise while you install the game, after that, you will barely hear it, the console is nowhere near as loud as any ps before it.

A shame you didnt buy the 2 best ps5 games, returnal and demon souls.

I agree with the looks, xbox looks better, but both need to be on vertical, both look horrible on horizontal.

you rate it 6/10? what was the ps4 on the first year? A 3/10? 

The ps5 had a much better first year than most consoles I can remember.

And it was a bigger jump too, the 60fps, the super fast loadings, the much higher resolutions, along with the graphics, the much quieter console, the controller. I feel a bigger jump from ps4 to ps5 than when I had ps3 and got the ps4, because back then, graphics and resolution were better but that was it, controller was basically the same, fps was basically the same and loadings was basically the same.

I still prefer the xbox series X hardware, and I would prefer it along with the elite 2 controller (best controller in the world), but I already have a PC so xbox would have been redundant. I'm glad I got ps5 as many games are not on PC, such as demon souls, ratchet, spiderman, last of us 2, returnal, GT7, Ghost of tshushima, etc.

Cause it's loud that's why...

Not really interested in either

Idk if xbox looks better per say. It looks unoffensive for better or for worse.

Not sure how the ps4 or other consoles are relevant. Doesn't matter if it has a better first year than other consoles, I still wasn't very impressed by it. I haven't gotten that next gen feel that I have been looking for other than on Ratchet and Clank and Astros. If we had more next gen games come out that I am interested in, then I would have rated it higher. Remember... It's a personal opinion...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network

I would say meh so far. I got only 1 true PS5 game so far, which is Miles Morales, and I mostly played Hitman 2 (after discovering the series with Hitman 3 on the Switch) and Psychonauts 1 (not 2) and God Of War 2018 so far on it. So basically a glorified PS4 Pro.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Just like the Series X, I have probably only used my console for a few hours over the past year.
It's great. It does everything I expect a console derived from mid-range PC technology to do.

victor83fernandes said:

The controller is also a major improvement and even tough I do not like the haptics too much, I'm in love with the adaptive triggers, total game changer and something even my 1700dollars PC cant do. Also the materials are much better on the controller, I have yet to hear any creaks, unlike the ps4 controller which was annoyingly poor quality, poor plastic.

Adaptive Triggers have been around on PC since the PS5 launched... Thanks to the PS5 controller ironically.

These will get you started:
https://github.com/Mxater/DualSenseSupport/releases/tag/V0.0.3
https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases/tag/v2.1.17

In the end (And not to discount how fantastic the PS5 controller actually is!), the technology is a refinement of what the PC has defined in the PC Steering wheel space over the past several decades.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

victor83fernandes said:

Why is everyone on about disc drive noise? It makes noise while you install the game, after that, you will barely hear it, the console is nowhere near as loud as any ps before it.

A shame you didnt buy the 2 best ps5 games, returnal and demon souls.

I agree with the looks, xbox looks better, but both need to be on vertical, both look horrible on horizontal.

you rate it 6/10? what was the ps4 on the first year? A 3/10? 

The ps5 had a much better first year than most consoles I can remember.

And it was a bigger jump too, the 60fps, the super fast loadings, the much higher resolutions, along with the graphics, the much quieter console, the controller. I feel a bigger jump from ps4 to ps5 than when I had ps3 and got the ps4, because back then, graphics and resolution were better but that was it, controller was basically the same, fps was basically the same and loadings was basically the same.

I still prefer the xbox series X hardware, and I would prefer it along with the elite 2 controller (best controller in the world), but I already have a PC so xbox would have been redundant. I'm glad I got ps5 as many games are not on PC, such as demon souls, ratchet, spiderman, last of us 2, returnal, GT7, Ghost of tshushima, etc.

I've actually started to like the look of ps5 horizontally. It's sitting in my AV cabinet between the WiiU and PS3. You just see the front of it and while big, it doesn't look out of place with the other equipment.

Maybe the noise is less horizontal? I do hear the disc drive when it starts up but after it spins back down there is no audible noise. It does get pretty warm in the AV cabinet yet airflow is good, it's not getting hot in there.

Anyway, a slim revision would fit both. As it is now, the Series X simply doesn't fit in my AV cabinet and a smaller ps5 would be very welcome as well. For now I'll keep moving my ps4 pro around the house since it's much easier to move.

Captain_Yuri said:
victor83fernandes said:

It's loud the few minutes while installing games with max spinning speed. That's okay for me.

It is very silent while watching a Blu-ray or UHD (so when the disc is spinning with single speed), that is much more important to me.

My Series X failed while playing UHDs and made a lot of noise when we wanted to enjoy the UHD movies.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It's loud the few minutes while installing games with max spinning speed. That's okay for me.

It is very silent while watching a Blu-ray or UHD (so when the disc is spinning with single speed), that is much more important to me.

My Series X failed while playing UHDs and made a lot of noise when we wanted to enjoy the UHD movies.

It does depend on the game itself but perhaps it's because I am sitting so close to the ps5 that it's affecting me more. It's not the biggest of deals but it is annoying enough for me to point it out.

I do agree with the rest though.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Very. Playroom, Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Ratchet, Kena, a number of enhanced BC titles, I've been gaming on my PS5 more than my PC this past year and there's more to look forward to on the Horizon ;)

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 29 November 2021

Pretty good, I played and enjoyed Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. I also have Miles Morales ultimate edition but haven't got around to playing it. I bought Kena last week (just waiting on it to actually arrive). I'll give my enjoyment on PS5 a 7/10, could go up once I play Miles Morales and Kena (or down if I end up not liking those games but I doubt it).

Oh wow people came back to this thread huh. I actually have found mine a bit louder than I thought. When installing one game it was VERY loud but otherwise yeah its not been too bad. I will say I actually LOVE how the system and controller looks. I think the black and white mixes rly well

SKMBlake said:

I would say meh so far. I got only 1 true PS5 game so far, which is Miles Morales, and I mostly played Hitman 2 (after discovering the series with Hitman 3 on the Switch) and Psychonauts 1 (not 2) and God Of War 2018 so far on it. So basically a glorified PS4 Pro.

Miles Morales is not a true ps5 game, first of all its a glorified DLC, second, it barely looks any better than Spiderman on ps4.

True PS5 games are Returnal, Demon souls, Ratchet