By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2021)

What excites you most about TGA?

The winners 0 0%

The tears of the losers 1 7.69%

Geoff getting visibly frustrated 0 0%

Game Announcements 7 53.85%

The guy who voices "world premiere" 2 15.38%

When the credits role 0 0%

Revealing viewership from last year to brag 0 0%

Josef fares... Anything to do with the man 2 15.38%

Live Music 0 0%

A rumored game once again not bring announced 1 7.69%

Total:13

Only GOTY candidates I played were Psychonauts 2 and Metroid Dread. I can't say they don't deserve to be nominated, because I haven't played anything better that came out this year, but while they're very good games, I don't feel like they meet the standards of past GOTY winners or nominees. It's been kind of a slow year I guess with most companies hedging their bets on the next gen. Nintendo has released alot of good stuff but nothing really exceptional or mold breaking.

Around the Network

I feel very underwhelmed by the nominees, this is probably the least interesting GOTY awards since the creation of the show, at least for me.
I assume Metroid Dread is going to win by default?
Having that said, eh, it really doesnt matter. Nothing matters.

Jpcc86 said:

I feel very underwhelmed by the nominees, this is probably the least interesting GOTY awards since the creation of the show, at least for me.

I highly doubt Metroid Dread will win, even though, of the games listed, it's the one I voted for. It doesn't have the wide ranging family appeal most Nintendo games have and it's a very safe game as it more or less stays true to what previous entries have done (especially Fusion). It's just too niche, even this one with its fantastic sales, to beat out the AAA budget titans that the critics adore.

Jpcc86 said:

Who cares? Most of us watch it for the game announcements anyway.

How the flippin fuck is NEO: The World Ends With You not nominated on the music category? What the actual hell? This game has one of the best and most original soundtracks I've seen in years!

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

How the flippin fuck is NEO: The World Ends With You not nominated on the music category? What the actual hell? This game has one of the best and most original soundtracks I've seen in years!

Nah, Cyberpunk's soundtrack is obviously better. /s

Why is no one talking about the most important award?

Esports Coach of the year. WOW.

Zippy6 said:

Why is no one talking about the most important award?

Esports Coach of the year. WOW.

I didn't even know those existed.

Pretty mid year in retrospect, but was to be anticipated since it's the year that will be affected by the covid delays the most. Feel like Metroid Dread has a pretty good chance of winning GoTY. It wouldn't in a strong year but against these i feel like it could win.

It's a beloved franchise that has been giving sh*t for years and i feel like that could make the balance tilt in it's favor since in quality and critical acclaim is pretty much on par with the other games.
R&C was really impressive and loved, but i didn't see much people online saying this was their Goty compared to Dread.
RE : Village was pretty big so i think it's Dread's biggest competition.
Deathloop kinda felt short in hype soon after the release so i doubt this will win. I would've put Forza instead.
Psychonauts is kinda niche and particular, could be an upset.
It takes two, don't know much about this game and looks interesting so could take it aswell.

My ranking in chances :

Metroid Dread / Resident Evil VIII
Psychonauts 2
It takes two
Ratchet and Clank
Deathloop

I can't really vote on a lot of categories, and not fairly enough of any of them anyway, because I've barely played any of this year's major releases. Which happens every year, of course. Game Awards voting is basically where I let loose the fanboy within. But anyways, I'll use my total lack of experience with these titles to make highly uninformed predictions.

Game of the Year: Resident Evil Village
Best Game Direction (I'll never get what this award is supposed to mean): It Takes Two
Best Narrative: Psychonauts 2
Best Art Direction: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Best Score and Music: NieR Replicant
Best Audio Design: Deathloop
Best Performance: Maggie Robertson as Lady Dimitrescu
Games for Impact: Life is Strange: True Colors
Best Ongoing: Final Fantasy XIV Online
Best Indie: Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Best Mobile Game: Pokémon Unite
Best Community Support: Final Fantasy XIV Online
Innovation in Accessibility: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Best Action Game: Deathloop