By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs something to replace Bethesda's single player RPGs.

Which of their studios could take up the task of crafting a similar experience? Do you think they are even thinking about it? Thoughts?

Around the Network

I feel you, 100% agree as well.
They should do their own JRPG, to counter.

Time for a return of a Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, Okage: Shadow King, Rogue Galaxy,.....
Sony just needs to start funding some JRPGs.

JRPGfan said:

Time for a return of a Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, Okage: Shadow King, Rogue Galaxy,.....

These are very different from a Bethesda style experience and sony has plenty of JRPG exclusives. More home grown isn't bad, but its not exactly a equivalent to elderscrolls

Otter said:
JRPGfan said:

These are very different from a Bethesda style experience and sony has plenty of JRPG exclusives. More home grown isn't bad, but its not exactly a equivalent to elderscrolls

Yes, my thoughts as well.

TBH, they should be on the look out but I don't think they need it to be in-house. Keep an eye on developers exploring similar type of experiences and invest in one.

If we had to pick a 1st party, the natural instinct would be Santamonica... It would be a natural evolution from GOW's fantasy world building

Around the Network
Otter said:

TBH, they should be on the look out but I don't think they need it to be in-house. Keep an eye on developers exploring similar type of experiences and invest in one.

If we had to pick a 1st party, the natural instinct would be Santamonica... It would be a natural evolution from GOW's fantasy world building

Yup, they could commission something from the outside, too.

Yeah, Santa Monica or why not Guerrilla as well?

Or Bluepoint? Wonder what their first own project will be?

Dante9 said:

Which of their studios could take up the task of crafting a similar experience? Do you think they are even thinking about it? Thoughts?

Well, Xbox on the other hand is missing the gritty action adventure games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War or The Last of Us. So maybe the platforms start to look more different again.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

JRPGfan said:

I feel like Sony is willfully moving away from classic JRPGs. Maybe some more westernized work though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Idk, do they really need it?
I think those games will be a good differentiator between the platforms.

I really don't have a need for that to be honest, I rather they ensure Persona 6 than try to copy Elder's Scroll.
But sure I have nothing against they opening a new studio for JRPGs and bring back some classics. Even letting Bluepoint remake LoD or some other to them make a sequel.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."