By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs something to replace Bethesda's single player RPGs.

Mr Puggsly said:

Well Sony's effort to mitigate the impact is also a series Playstation already dominates. To the contrary, Bethesda RPGs are really popular on Playstation. That's why I personally would be surprised if those games don't come to Playstation. Nothing to really debate there, just wait and see because I'm still skeptical.

I'm not denying FF has mainstream appeal, I'm saying its not the Xbox audience. As in a vast majority of its sales are not on Xbox. Fable had more success on Xbox than Final Fantasy.

Sony will have a chunk of the RPG market simply for having a large userbase. BUT, MS will gain sales if Playstation loses Bethesda RPGs. I'm kinda curious to see what route MS goes. Gamepass can still grow without major multiplat IPs going exclusive.

Sony re-establishing Final Fantasy as an exclusive is more about consolidating a chunk of the RPG market, which IMO, is the best mid term solution to replace Bethesda that doesn't include acquisitions, or forcing a developer like Naughty Dog to work on something they may not be passionate about.

So far FF16, FF7R Part II, KOTOR remake, are all PS5 console exclusives that should be releasing when Fable, TOW2, Avowed, etc drop, there's a potential FromSoftware exclusive (based on Sony's capital alliance + rumor mill) in the works, combined with first party efforts like Demon's Souls remake, the rumor of Bluepoint working on the BloodBorne IP in some format, as well as HFW having deeper and more refined RPG elements. 

These titles may not reach the kind of mindshare that TES will command, but as an overall catalogue, it becomes enticing for RPG fans to invest into a PS5, especially with Elder Scrolls looking like a late generation release. 

Around the Network

Sony on PS4 said their strategy on diversity and competition was that they wanted their titles to complement what third party offered not to compete against them. So yes with the leaving of Bethesda if Sony doesn't think they can propel a third party to fill the gap they are going to fill it themselves, either by buying a studio, contracting a game or making a team to do it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."