By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs something to replace Bethesda's single player RPGs.

Sogreblute said:

I think people need to realize that when you look closer at the games Microsoft and Sony put out they are different. So by logic Sony needs an open world car racer to match Forza.
You cannot really compare the type of games Microsoft publishes to what Sony publishes, so people that keep saying Sony needs to copy Microsoft of vice-versa are just blind to the games each company publishes. Let's say you want Sony to copy Forza Horizon to compete or you want to play a game like that on PS because you don't want to buy an Xbox or game on PC. That's fine to think that since PS is you're preference, but keep in mind there's always going to be games that you want to play that's just not going to be on your preferred platform. I hope every game goes to all platforms so that everyone can enjoy games on their preferred platform, but unfortunately that will never happen.

But it's not about platforms trying to differentiate themselves and offer different things, this was a forced outcome by Microsoft. Bethesda games have always been part and parcel of the Playstation library and have done well on the system.

Around the Network

I think it would probably be a complete failure if Sony tries to create an Elder Scrolls like gameplay experience. Some games like GTA, Elder Scrolls and The Witcher cant simply be copied with big budgets and dev teams. This is the exact reason MS has struggled in its first party offering.

Games of that magnitude require experience.

I would say Sony is better off in trying to create a souls like game or a western RPG that is perhaps not as ambitious as Elder Scrolls (atleast in its first attempt).

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Financially what would make more sense?

1. Don't release on ps5, get more GP subscriptions by getting the die hard fans to play it in the XBox ecosystem. (But not everyone will bother, plenty to play)
2. Release on PS5, get all that $70 per game at release and more in DLC. (DLC will also sell on GP, but those subscribing just to play the next Skyrim won't buy it)

Either way it will be a boost for GP as a day one release on there. MS could even do both, 1 year exclusive on XBox, then release on PS5 to get the hold outs to hand over their cash. Not releasing on PS5 seems to be leaving a lot of money on the table. Sony is realizing this as well now and is bringing more to PC.

As for making a replacement, it takes many years for a new IP and multiple sequels before it could begin to touch the mind share of fallout and elder scrolls.

Games like this take a lot of time and resources to develop and are usually always release buggy and need a tonne of patches at launch because of the scale and sheer complexity of them. Take Starfield, Bethesda trademarked that back in 2013 and we're finally seeing the fruition of the game nearing a decade later. The same with TES 6. I wouldn't say they need to recreate a sandbox like RPG when they don't have any experience in doing any and would rather they have their dev teams play to their own strengths.

Like they tried to compete on the FPS scene with Killzone and subsequently Resistance series. They never really found long lasting success with either series. Granted Resistance was Sony published and Insomniac was still Independent back then. Though they let Guerilla do their own thing and we got Horizon Zero Dawn. Their strategy of partnering up with Japanese devs like SE, From, SEGA etc for RPG's is a good working formula. And tbh I'd rather them do that than waste a bunch of time and resources and potentially end up like another Cyberpunk.

Last edited by hinch - on 15 November 2021

Ahh, that answers that question https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-15-xbox-boss-discusses-the-elder-scrolls-6-console-exclusivity

In an interview with GQ for the Xbox 20th anniversary, Spencer commented on the acquisition of Bethesda parent company ZeniMax Media last year for a historic $7.5bn. Since then, the company's next big title Starfield has been confirmed as Xbox and PC only. Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls 6.

So a month of GP it will be when I have time left over for Elder Scrolls 6. Or perhaps I'll have a slim version of Series X by then and can stay physical :) Maybe it will even be slightly less buggy with just PC and XBox to support!

Meanwhile, plenty of time to flip flop, and not like it's smart to play Bethesda games right when they come out anyway. Might as well wait a year after release to play the finished version and then you'll know whether it's actually going to stay exclusive.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 15 November 2021

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
Mr Puggsly said:

At first I was leaning towards agreeing, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim propelled that series above Final Fantasy. While Fallout 3/4 and Oblivion also sold mega numbers.

Personally, I'm kinda doubtful the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout will skip Playstation. Because Playstation users love those IPs and there is a ton of money to be made. However, making them console exclusive to Xbox would likely give a big sales boost to Xbox hardware.

To the contrary, most people who really care about Final Fantasy already buy Playstation. Since the late 90s and beyond, Playstation has been the place to play the major FF releases. Therefore Sony taking FF from Xbox wouldn't really matter that much. I mean Sony money hatted FF7 Remake and I don't think Xbox fans were really that upset over it. At best it was probably just gonna sell a few million on Xbox, a small fraction of what Fallout and Elder Scrolls sell on Playstation.

Remember, without playstation and switch and remasters, skyrim numbers would have been way less, bringing it more on par with the final fantasy games.

So yeah, final fantasy 16 is a good replacement on ps5. Whoever only has ps5 will definitely be missing great games, but any gamer who actually likes videogames will already have either a ps4/ps5 and either an xbox one, xbox series or PC.

Personally I'd rather play the next Elder scrolls than final fantasy 16, but the next elder scrolls is many years away from release while final fantasy 16 is already next year.

Skyrim wasn't just a big hit on PS360, the series also has a massive following on PC. Hence, I am quite certain the game trounced Final Fantasy even before remasters. I think its also safe to assume a Skyrim remaster had more sales potential than any FF game.

I'm simply saying if Playstation lost Bethesda RPGs, there would be a boost in Xbox hardware sales. While the Playstation will benefit less from getting Final Fantasy 16 exclusively because that's the platform most of the fans already are at. Which probably makes the series easier to money hat to begin with. Hence, they are money hatting the IP they already dominate in sales.

Regardless when FF16 releases, its just not a game the Xbox audience would be particularly excited about. And hey, Xbox still has Fable and Outer Worlds 2 coming eventually. Generally speaking, MS is doing well in the RPG genre.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

PotentHerbs said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's wait and see on whether or not new Fallout and Elder Scrolls games come to PlayStation. MS could support Playstation and still boast those games are coming to Gamepass.

Even when PlayStation and Xbox had a similar sized userbase in the 7th gen, Final Fantasy still sold much better on PlayStation. Xbox simply doesn't have that many weebs.

Hence, PlayStation losing Bethesda RPGs is a much bigger impact than Xbox losing Final Fantasy. Sony taking Street Fighter was more significant than FF7 Remake.

I'm not going to hold my breath for Microsoft to release the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls on the PS5. Just based on the PR statements they've made about the topic, I find it to be very unlikely.

--

Final Fantasy wasn't meant to replace Bethesda games by itself. Rather, it is part of the solution to mitigate that impact, along with Sony's first party, and potential acquisitions or partnerships. 

It doesn't matter how many weebs there are on the Xbox ecosystem, Final Fantasy still has massive pull in the RPG market, (FF15 sold 8.9 Million copies by October 2019) it has significantly more mainstream appeal than Fable, TOW2, or Avowed, and its a major factor as to why Sony will have a chunk of the RPG market despite losing a publisher like Bethesda. If none of Microsoft's RPG's, aside from Bethesda Games, can topple the popularity of Final Fantasy, it is much easier for Sony to fill the gap left by the Zenimax buyout.

Besides, by the time the next TES releases, its overall impact on the Playstation platform will be minimal, considering we'll be past the midway point of the generation when console sales start to saturate. 

Well Sony's effort to mitigate the impact is also a series Playstation already dominates. To the contrary, Bethesda RPGs are really popular on Playstation. That's why I personally would be surprised if those games don't come to Playstation. Nothing to really debate there, just wait and see because I'm still skeptical.

I'm not denying FF has mainstream appeal, I'm saying its not the Xbox audience. As in a vast majority of its sales are not on Xbox. Fable had more success on Xbox than Final Fantasy.

Sony will have a chunk of the RPG market simply for having a large userbase. BUT, MS will gain sales if Playstation loses Bethesda RPGs. I'm kinda curious to see what route MS goes. Gamepass can still grow without major multiplat IPs going exclusive.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I don't think Sony needs games to replace Bethesda's titles, they will likely do their own thing and release their own games rather than try and copy the competition, which would be a good thing for the market in my opinion, more differentiators for people to choose Xbox, Switch or Playstation, rather than clones of each other with a couple of exclusives,.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

VersusEvil said:

An open world RPG Knack game could do the trick.

Open world Knack RPG would make all other games obselete. Is that really what we'd want?

VersusEvil said:
Chrizum said:

Open world Knack RPG would make all other games obselete. Is that really what we'd want?

Considering Knack 2 is one of the highest rated games ever. Yes. 

Yeah, if it wasn't for those meddling Xbox fanboys, Knack's user score would be a perfect 10.