By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs something to replace Bethesda's single player RPGs.

No way.
Playstation don't need to copy or create "insert IP" Killers. They already have a superior pedigree in several genres and don't need a similar experience.
Ensuring the pedigree and quality of the gaming experience is the absolute priority. You look at the last 10 years of releases and Playstation dominated the market and set a very high level of excellence with several games of the year and nominees, it even got more awards than the other 3 most awarded publishers combined*! Sales also show this, as many PlayStation exclusives are selling over 10M copies, or even closer to 20M. The results in the PS4 generation awards and sales are proof that Playstation is on the right path and doesn't need to do "similar experience".
On the other hand... if a studio in the playstation family has the desire and absolute confidence that they can create something similar, but of superior quality, it's "okay" to make a fps RPG in the Western mold. For example, Guerrilla could try to make a new IP with multiplayer elements and a Fallout-like experience using the Decima engine.

*https://www.gameawards.net/

Last edited by Manlytears - on 10 November 2021

Around the Network

I dunno, I played Skyrim and Witcher and preferred Witcher.

Skyrim felt very bland in term of its world.i played Fallout 3 & 4 and they both felt very much the same to me. The colours and locations etc.

I played Outer Worlds and it felt like Fallout light.

The only thing that sets Bethesda RPGs apart from anyone else is the branching paths. Graphics aren't great, polish isn't great, voice acting and animations aren't great, quest design is average. They feel like GTA games to me where there is a lot to do but all the mechanics are average. But there is so much content thrown at or ways to play people love it.

Sony doesn't need an ES or FO, they can create their own IP or improve on a y if the above.

They don't need a shit ton of content, they need good content. All the inventory management and being able to collect so much random shit is a waste of time for me.

I think Sony has started to acquire some of the Devs from Bethesda or individuals who worked on some of the Bethesda IPs.

It would be nice to see a new IP from PS that has the branching paths of ES / FO, the polish of PS Studios and the writing, animation and acting that their studios bring.

Edit: I write outriders bit meant Outer Worlds.

Last edited by Fei-Hung - on 10 November 2021

Otter said:
Zippy6 said:

I don't think it's really something they need. No one else really copies the Skyrim/Fallout design either and considering Skyrim is 10 years old and Fallout 4 is 6 years old you think there would be if there was high demand for similar experiences.

Elderscrolls and Fallout are very popular but I don't think there's huge demand for games that are "like" them but not them.

PlayStation will do just fine with the multitude of other western RPGS like Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc.

Well they have been multiplatform for the last 2 gens so there has never been a need to replace them. If Elderscrolls doesn't come to PlayStation 5 they'd definitely be a hunger amongst playstation audiences which is where the majority of Bethesda console audience lays basing off sales of Fallout 4/Elderscrolls remastered. Some may buy an Xbox to play ES6, others will reluctantly play on PC but I think plenty will also just choose to play other games and hope that their fix can be found elsewhere. That elsewhere is an opportunity.

Problem is these kind of huge WRPGs are immense undertakings so you don't get many clones, let alone games that come close to their scale/quality/openness 

This is my line of thinking. Those games have always been there on Playstation and now suddenly they aren't. There will be a void. It might seem like a nothing burger now, but when those games are released, the fever will be all around once again.

In terms of quality, the Bethesda RPGs have undeniably been a bit of a mess, but they have been an event nonetheless. I have always enjoyed them, once most of the bugs have been addressed.

I love Sony exclusives more, but I want both things, like I used to get. I mean I can live without the Bethesda stuff, sure. But I would like something in the same vein to scratch that specific itch. Then again you're right about such a game being a massive undertaking and then getting only one or two of those per generation most likely, so there's that.

I dunno, I just have fond memories of those games, even though they were buggy crap and nowhere near Witcher 3 and the like.

Japanese consoles never lack 3rd party JRPGs, maybe they should create a new studio instead, or beef up a small one of theirs currently busy with small projects, to develop a new big WRPG franchise.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Kyuu said:
Fei-Hung said:

Edit: I write outriders bit meant Outer Worlds.

Darksiders, The Outer Worlds, Outriders. The deadly confusion TriOuders.

Outer Wilds is the one I always confuse with The Outer Worlds.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

If HFW can improve on its RPG elements, moving in the direction of the Frozen Wilds DLC in terms of quest design, a revamped skill tree & branching dialogue, intertwine side missions to the main story similar to the end of HZD, Sony could have an answer to Bethesda style WRPG's in a matter of months. HFW won't have the same flexibility when it comes to character creation/build/quest lines/endings that Bethesda has mastered, but its traversal/combat/platforming/universe is shaping up to be in a class of its own, making it a tentpole RPG franchise that could also be expanded into other genres (IE. Horizon MMO).

In terms of what SIE studio could pull off a WRPG similar to Bethesda, I'd say Naughty Dog and then Santa Monica, have the best shot. Although I'd like to see Media Molecule attempt an RPG with their whimsical style and advanced tools/logic. Not to mention they could always have Bluepoint do a remake of LOD with major QoL improvements lol.

MM would be better making a JRPG style since they are less on photorealism and more on the cartoon

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Here me out: Naughty Dog. I would love for them to move on from their current PS3/PS4 franchises (Uncharted and The Last of Us), and create another new IP. A full-on Skyrim clone. Fantasy, open-world, massive story, character creation, FULL mod support - the works, but all running on their incredible engine/animation quality. If it happened, it could well end up being their only PS5 title, both due to initial development time and ongoing DLC/patches support for it. But man, it could turn out to be their greatest title ever.

Kyuu said:
Zippy6 said:

Oh yes that too. Now someone think of a 5th fellow.

Outlast maybe?! 

Kyuu said:
Zippy6 said:

Oh yes that too. Now someone think of a 5th fellow.

Edit: damn adverts were so big I couldn't hit submit. Went desktop mode and it got rid of everything -_-

What this post was meant to say is, Naughty Dog's Savage Starlight is a SciFi WRPG with ND level Animations, ND level polish, ND level dialogue and acting, and ND level attention to detail. Finally, the game releases around the same time as Starfield.

NextGen_Gamer said:

Here me out: Naughty Dog. I would love for them to move on from their current PS3/PS4 franchises (Uncharted and The Last of Us), and create another new IP. A full-on Skyrim clone. Fantasy, open-world, massive story, character creation, FULL mod support - the works, but all running on their incredible engine/animation quality. If it happened, it could well end up being their only PS5 title, both due to initial development time and ongoing DLC/patches support for it. But man, it could turn out to be their greatest title ever.

Seems more likely Guerilla games could go on that path. They already got the open world template down, just need to get into character creation.