By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints:

28. a) The company that made this game was known for arcade games and arcade ports.  However, this first entry in their most successful series started on consoles.
b)  There are no sidekicks this time.

27.  The developers of this game also created another series that ended up being their main competitors.  This is the first game of the second series.

26.  This is an arcade game from the 80's that isn't even one of the most popular ones.  I'll try to make the clues easy, because this is not an easy game to guess.  You dig around the board like Dig Dug, but the game uses apples instead of rocks.

#27: Rockband

Correct!

Around the Network

30 - This is the beginning of a (yet unfinished) trilogy which serves as the prequel to two rather cult classic first-person shooters.

HINT: The beginning of this game is rather similar to Robocop. There's even a small hidden Robocop reference.

HINT 2: The protagonist has lots of augmentations in his body that he can turn on or off whenever he wants to.

29 - In this sci-fi third-person shooter we visit several different planets with three playable characters and fight against insectoid-like invaders.

HINT: It's a game from Rare's golden days in the late 90s.

28 - This action-adventure takes us to several real world locations all around the globe as we're looking for our lost father.

HINT: Next to the main game there is a sidequest about finding up to 50 red jewels.

coolbeans said:
GoOnKid said:

30 - This is the beginning of a (yet unfinished) trilogy which serves as the prequel to two rather cult classic first-person shooters.

HINT: The beginning of this game is rather similar to Robocop. There's even a small hidden Robocop reference.

HINT 2: The protagonist has lots of augmentations in his body that he can turn on or off whenever he wants to.

29 - In this sci-fi third-person shooter we visit several different planets with three playable characters and fight against insectoid-like invaders.

HINT: It's a game from Rare's golden days in the late 90s.

28 - This action-adventure takes us to several real world locations all around the globe as we're looking for our lost father.

HINT: Next to the main game there is a sidequest about finding up to 50 red jewels.

30 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution 

29 - Jet Force Gemini

Both correct!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Farsala said:

31- Yes.

coolbeans said:

32 - Bioshock

30 - Call of Duty: World at War?

32- Yes

30- No, because there is not a Call of Duty: World at War 2

31- No

29- No

28- That is the correct series, but I am not sure on the mechanics of the original game.

More hints:

30: Killstreaks and zombies, this game started a subseries with at least 4 sequels.

A map called Ascension, is famous for the ability to find multiple circles to mow down zombies.

29: 2 factions battle it out in this alternate timeline of WW2.

This game came out on PC, but was also famous on the PS1. The cutscenes were live action, and very impressive for the time.

28: Sometimes due to variance, my modern battle tank will die to a barbarian spearman.

This game's expansion was recieved very well for adding extra civilizations and special historical scenarios with various victory conditions.

28.  Civilization IV?

28. It definitely could have been Civ 4, but I feel like 2 games from the civ series in my list is too much, so I had to choose just one. The answer in this case is Civilization 3.

Last hint for 29.

This game came out on PC, but was also famous on the PS1. The cutscenes were live action, and very impressive for the time.

Use the power of Tesla! No, not electric cars. Hurl artificial lightning bolts at the enemy.

Farsala said:

Use the power of Tesla! No, not electric cars. Hurl artificial lightning bolts at the enemy.

Command & Conquer Red Alert

Around the Network

You guys are too quick to guess. Lately I can only have one hint at a time.

#25: Looking for a stone and a city. Guessed by Machina - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 03 December 2021

#30Attack of the Friday Monsters!
guessed byMachina
platform3DS
release year2013
developer/publisherMillenium Kitchen/Aquria/Level-5
genreadventure
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #30, 2019: #29, 2018: #41, 2017: #39

This game is such a charming little adventure. An entertaining and moving little story about kids in a small part of the town, where the TV-studio produces a monsters show. So every friday a giant monster attacks and the Earth Defense Force repels the attack. The main protagonist Sohta has moved recently with his parents to this part of town, so he experiences this the first time. The kids believe the monsters are real (and maybe they are). So everything smoke and mirrors? There are quite a few surprises hidden here.

The game was part of the guild series. These guild games were small downloadable titles published by Level-5 in cooperation with kinda prominent japanese game designers. The idea was to give them a bit of room to explore ideas they usually can't follow. The other guild games are good too, but I love Attack of the Friday Monsters!

The gameplay consists mostly of simple puzzles to progress the story. The really great part is, how you can see the world through the kids eyes and how they interpret everything. There is also a minigame with collectible cards. The kids play it to have a ranking, and you can cast spells on other kids that rank below you.

The game is short, but it feels so good and freeing just seeing things from kids eyes and everything is much simpler.

I don't think this game (or any of the guild games for that matter) will be ported to another platform, and as they are digital only (I think there is possibly a physical version in japan of the collection), the only chance to play it is now to get it on 3DS as long as the eShop is still open. I recommend to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLUj6G9AyNE

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Gonna try and stay ahead here, so let's get to the next five games.

#25:

• The true final boss of this game, as well as the final dungeon, is only accessible if the player makes the correct choices.

#24:

• The game's world is literally divided by a massive continent-spanning wall.

#23:

• The main character enters a military academy as a student at the start of the game.

#22:

• A vessel was created to contain the infection.

#21:

• That's a very long ladder.
Last edited by Darashiva - on 03 December 2021

coolbeans said:
Darashiva said:

#21:

• That's a very long ladder.

Metal Gear Solid 3

That's the one.

Machina said:
S.Peelman said:

You guys are too quick to guess. Lately I can only have one hint at a time.

#25: Looking for a stone and a city.

Wild guess - Uncharted 2? 

To be wild was a good idea, because Uncharted 2 is immediately correct!

Darashiva said:

#23:

• The main character enters a military academy as a student at the start of the game.

Zelda Skyward Sword.