By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Sims 4 is my favourite game in the series, splitting the large city into separate lots made this the first sims game that didn't perform like absolute poop and take years to load. The sims behaviours and unprompted interactions with one another was also an improvement over the previous game. In general it's just a much more polished and nice experience.

Hints:

#42 - Hint: The origin story of a hero who wards off darkness.
Supplementary Hint: You get quite the nasty but necessary hazing into a new organization.
Supplementary Hint 2: A threat spawns and as you progress through the game locations are destroyed.
Supplementary Hint 3: You can donate money, resources and other items to allied factions at your camp to make them stronger for the final battle
(Though it's thought that donating actually does nothing.)

#40 - Hint: It's out third trip and we're going down under!
Supplementary Hint: This series is a spin-off of another series but became more popular than the original with it's large openworld.

#39 - Hint: It... won't.... stop.... continually featured on this site.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

Smash Ultimate?

Sorry if that means you’ll have to be bored again for a couple of days. The Football Manager was a fun read by the way.

By hinting one game at a time, I guarantee that the maximum time of boredom is 24 hours, minus sleep time. I mean, I could just do the posts in advance, but while I try to stay faithful to the daily thing, in this case I only have 12 hours before I can make the post about Smash Ultimate.

I'm impressed you read the Football Manager story, though. It was a lot.

Oh good that sounds doable. But yeah I might miss some every now and then but I try to read everyone's descriptions and stories, because they're fun reads, even the long ones. Especially when there's a personal touch to them. It's going well so far this year. I missed the big Wepkeer story last year, but I read it now.

Zippy6 said:

Grand Theft Auto 5?

S.Peelman said:
mZuzek said:

By hinting one game at a time, I guarantee that the maximum time of boredom is 24 hours, minus sleep time. I mean, I could just do the posts in advance, but while I try to stay faithful to the daily thing, in this case I only have 12 hours before I can make the post about Smash Ultimate.

I'm impressed you read the Football Manager story, though. It was a lot.

Oh good that sounds doable. But yeah I might miss some every now and then but I try to read everyone's descriptions and stories, because they're fun reads, even the long ones. Especially when there's a personal touch to them. It's going well so far this year. I missed the big Wepkeer story last year, but I read it now.

Zippy6 said:

Grand Theft Auto 5?

Yep! GTA V is right!

Mnementh said:
Darashiva said:

Nothing else to do right now, so here are the first hints for the next five games on my list.

• Set in Phantasma

• A Thousand Years of Dreams

• The 5th best game of 2017 (if we go by western release dates).

• Monkey

• Goddess of the Sun

#37 is obviously a Journey to the West reference, and the most likely candidate for video game adaptation you mean would be Enslaved: Odysseyto the West.

#36 is maybe Tomb Raider reboot.

Correct on 37, not on 36

Farsala said:

39 is FFX

38 is Persona 5 going by western release date

No to both.

Supermario28 said:

#36 Could be Okami?

#38 That's completely subjective but here's what i think:

1.  Zelda BOTW

2. Horizon Zero Down

3. Splatoon 2

4. One good game i don't recall

So my answer is: 5. Super Mario Odyssey

Okami is correct, Super Mario Odyssey isn't.

Guessed by Zippy6

My immediate family used to have a pretty decently sized group of friends, and as luck would have it, pretty much every one of them was gaming. All this coincided with the existence of the SEGA Dreamcast. Actually a very good console, and it has a couple of excellent games. When all these friends came over, or we went out to them, we'd play some Dreamcast local multiplayer and one of the games we played a lot was 'Virtua Tennis'.

Virtua Tennis is fun because it's such an accessible game with fluid and intuitive controls, yet it still feels like a very realistic game. Like most Dreamcast games, the graphics were great. The game also has a fun career mode where you play across multiple locations on different surfaces trying to become the number one. In between those there are training stages where you must use special shots to hit things, stages that test your reaction time or stages for some other skill based task. Sports games normally don't turn my head, but once a century, one comes along that actually clicks.

Around the Network

My #42 Beggin its story with one of the most absurd opening cutscenes in gaming. It involves GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!, a lollipop and a lot of badassery.

Metafee said:

My #42 Beggin its story with one of the most absurd opening cutscenes in gaming. It involves GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!, a lollipop and a lot of badassery.

I want to say Lollipop Chainsaw, but then I'm like 'no, nobody would put that game on their top 50'

Then I wanted to say Devil May Cry 3 because it fits all the criteria EXCEPT the lollipop...if I recall, he was doin' all that flippy gunny shit with a slice of pizza in his mouth, not a lollipop. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Farsala said:

42: Some of my favorite quotes come from the generic fighter class in this game. "I want more!"
The generic fighter class also has a passive called "Shaking Excitement". Basically the harder the challenge is, the stronger one gets.
The fact that you can choose to fight with a custom party and not the main characters is a major bonus to this game. You unlock more as you play and then you can reincarnate them for a power boost.

#42 is Disgaea 5. Not only great gameplay, but also great soundtrack. And for some reason I got weirdly inspired by it. I felt like it is similar to DQXI, in being a high point for the series, despite not really innovating.

Anyways on to 41

41: An OG Xbox game that somehow managed to mix Dynasty Warriors and fantasy tactical RPGs into one game.

Metafee said:

Bayonetta, the first one

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#42: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

This game means alot to me. It was the second 2D Mario game I played after the first New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, which was also my first video game ever.

I played NSMBW for hundreds of hours again and again and again. It was hard, it often frustrated me but even moreso it made me happy. I wasn't that good at video games yet back then so this was the toughest thing ever for me. And when I succeeded it was the best thing ever. The final Bowser fight was exciting and anxiety inducing.

NSMBW introduced alot of new items to the series and the koopalings as new villains working for Bowser. Very often people say it was just like the first game but with multiplayer and I disagree. While yes, it had the same artstyle and general structure, it had a ton of new stuff that kept it fresh. I especially liked the toad houses where you get power-ups, those were always fun.

I've recently replayed it after playing NSMBUDX and I think this one is definitely better because it was more creative. The level design isn't like way better, but it had more new items and introduced the koopalings, which in NSMBU were already getting boring, since NSMB2 had them too, I think.

This game is also an important part of my chilhood. It is also my favorite 2D platformer and pure nostalgia.