By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

As I will probably be less online over the next few days, I go ahead and drop the hints for the final games:

#4: High five!

Was 4 not Donkey Kong Country Returns?

coolbeans said:

Bioshock?

Sadly incorrect.

Eric2048 said:

14. This game features an outfit for the main character that the main character from a previous game wore.

I’ll also guess Zelda Breath of the Wild for this one.

Nope, but that would've made for good hint for that game.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
S.Peelman said:

Super Mario Sunshine

Correct. I think Sunshine gets a lot of undeserved flack.

Well, I haven't played it since GameCube, but I remember being a bit disappointed by it myself as well coming off of Mario 64. I remember feeling the best parts were when FLUDD gets taken away. I don't really know how I would feel now if I replayed it, but yes it does still get a lot of flack.

coolbeans said:
S.Peelman said:

Time for the Top 5, the rest has already been guessed. I'll start with just #5.

#5: The whole secret of the game is blatantly told on a mural halfway through the game, but when you first play it, you don't exactly realise what it means until the end boss explains it.

Time for another shot.  What throws off is the mural part b/c I don't remember specifically where that is in the game.  But Star Wars: KOTOR fits with the rest of description.

5 - Star Wars: KOTOR?

Well.. no. I don't think you find out through a mural what the big deal is in that game. And while indeed it is Malak that tells you, he does so sooner than at the final battle. *ahem*but*ahem*youcan*ahem*stillguessthatgamefurtheron*ahem*

In my game, you find a mural halfway through with a vague text that tells you about the big secret, but only at the final fight the end boss explains that it's actually true.

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

Correct on both.

Farsala said:

Finally on Christmas break. Time to bust out some hints.

18- Unguessed, and will probably stay that way. So the reveal is Kessen 2

17: You jump a lot!
16: You hit people with a key a lot! And you can visit places like Tortuga or a Colloseum.
15: The campaign in this game is awesome featuring A characters like Arkantos, Ajax, and Agamemnon.
14: Your goal is to conquer China with strategy. Or you can just choose an officer and chill, doing menial work or improving your stats.
13: Your goal is to conquer China with tactics. This game featured Chain tactics, allowing you to do epic combos with 10 or more tactics.

16: Kingdom Hearts 2 or 3

Yes Kingdom Hearts 2.

17: You jump a lot!

Hint 2: A green dinosaur appears.

15: The campaign in this game is awesome featuring A characters like Arkantos, Ajax, and Agamemnon.

Hint 2: Make armies of men or monsters like Minotaur, Cyclops, Mummys, Fire Giants.

14: Your goal is to conquer China with strategy. Or you can just choose an officer and chill, doing menial work or improving your stats.

Hint 2: Same name as the old novel and VIII game in the series.

13: Your goal is to conquer China with tactics. This game featured Chain tactics, allowing you to do epic combos with 10 or more tactics.

Hint 2: Half of the name is the same as the more popular hack and slash series, the other half is Tactics 2.

#15: A lot of games feature greek mythology, a stab in the dark: Titan Quest.

#14: Romance of the three kingdoms. Apparently VIII.

#13: I guess Dynasty Tactics 2.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Machina said:

• A sci-fi RTS. My favourite strategy was just building huge lines of defensive turret structures, then teching to nukes and playing around with those, before usually obliterating the enemy with a fleet of bombers.
  • It's received a few spiritual successors over the years, but none of them really managed to re-capture the magic of this game.
  • Weirdly the only other official mainline entry in the series has a medieval setting, not a sci-fi one.

• The sequel to a very inventive and superbly written comedy.
  • Shower curtains.
  • You're re-united with a beloved companion... and an enemy.

• Actually, I'd rather not kill him thank you; I quite like him.

• Most people prefer this game's sequel. The first game is higher on my list because of its originality, as well as the tighter and (imo) wittier writing.

#11: Hmm, command&conquer?

#4: Borderlaands

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Machina said:

• A sci-fi RTS. My favourite strategy was just building huge lines of defensive turret structures, then teching to nukes and playing around with those, before usually obliterating the enemy with a fleet of bombers.
  • It's received a few spiritual successors over the years, but none of them really managed to re-capture the magic of this game.
  • Weirdly the only other official mainline entry in the series has a medieval setting, not a sci-fi one.

• The sequel to a very inventive and superbly written comedy.
  • Shower curtains.
  • You're re-united with a beloved companion... and an enemy.

• Actually, I'd rather not kill him thank you; I quite like him.

• Most people prefer this game's sequel. The first game is higher on my list because of its originality, as well as the tighter and (imo) wittier writing.

Oh, 11 is Total Annihilation I think. Kinda feel like I should have gotten this a long time ago.

Guessed by Darashiva

Putting the old 'Mario Kart 64' in this list as the top representative, or in my case, the only representative of this series might be a bit unorthodox. Of course, I couldn't prefer this game over a newer one because of its story, or because I like its art direction better. No, objectively, the greatest game of the Mario Kart series would be 'Mario Kart 8', but Mario Kart 64 has special meaning. Still, there is some merit to choosing this game as the best one; it for example is a bit more skill based than newer entries and luck is a bit less of a factor. The Blue Shell can be dodged more easily, it doesn't feature auto-drive power-ups like the Bullet Bill and there's plenty of shortcuts that require the player to know what they're doing.

But like I said, for once, this game earns its spot this high in the list in large part due to a nostalgia factor. Not only memories with good endings though, also quite a bittersweet one. I've told this story before here on the site, but this game will forever be tied to a memory of my family, because this was the game we all played together when we were all together for the last time. It was some time past the N64's time, and my games were moved to my grandmother's house. One Mother's Day, like some coincidence because that never happened, it's a long story, everyone in the family decided to visit at once. Me and my cousins started to play Mario Kart 64, and then, my aunt and uncle joined, and my parents too. Grandma was watching from the couch. My mother and stepfather were Peach and Yoshi like they always were, my aunt and uncle were Wario and Bowser, my cousins were Toad, Luigi and Donkey Kong and I, I was Mario. It was a great day, but sadly, that never happened, and can never happen, ever again.

S.Peelman said:
coolbeans said:

Time for another shot.  What throws off is the mural part b/c I don't remember specifically where that is in the game.  But Star Wars: KOTOR fits with the rest of description.

5 - Star Wars: KOTOR?

Well.. no. I don't think you find out through a mural what the big deal is in that game. And while indeed it is Malak that tells you, he does so sooner than at the final battle. *ahem*but*ahem*youcan*ahem*stillguessthatgamefurtheron*ahem*

In my game, you find a mural halfway through with a vague text that tells you about the big secret, but only at the final fight the end boss explains that it's actually true.

It's been a little while since I played so I may be misremembering, but I feel like this could be Wind Waker?

Second hint for #5, and first hint for #4.

#5: The whole secret of the game is blatantly told on a mural halfway through the game, but when you first play it, you don't exactly realise what it means until the end boss explains it.

Hint 2: The mural was pretty vague about it, but the boss explains that beating him, would wake another entity and have far-reaching consequences for the land you're in and everyone that inhabits it.

#4: This game features the most annoying sound in the world. Guessed by drbunnig - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 25 December 2021

drbunnig said:
S.Peelman said:

It's been a little while since I played so I may be misremembering, but I feel like this could be Wind Waker?

Nope, but you're getting warm, just posted a second hint.