By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Darashiva said:

No. They were both on my list earlier, and you are somewhat close, but neither is correct.

7: Bit of a long shot, but maybe, The Witcher? 2 then, I guess?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Nope.

5: Maybe Secret of Mana?

Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire!!

S.Peelman said:
Darashiva said:

No. They were both on my list earlier, and you are somewhat close, but neither is correct.

7: Bit of a long shot, but maybe, The Witcher? 2 then, I guess?

No, haven't played Witcher 2. 

Darashiva said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

8.  Dark Souls 2

7.  Trails of Cold Steel 2

I am going to guess 8 as Bloodborne.

Around the Network
#12Star Wars: Dark Forces
guessed bydrbunnig
platformDOS
release year1995
developer/publisherLucasArts
genreshooter
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #11, 2019: #10, 2018: #10, 2017: #10

Dark Forces is a first person shooter based on the foundation Doom layed, and it is a really good one. It has some technological advancements in the engine like looking up and down and some fog effects. It has also a much more consistent world as other shooters of the time, basically because it is based on the already established Star Wars universe. The level design is great, the mission briefing is made well with actors voicing their roles. This is a pretty good shooter.

As this is placed in the Star Wars universe the game is made by LucasArts. I have some games from them on my list, but mostly point-and-click adventures. This is the shooter from them I really like. The game clearly steps into the mold that Doom layed out for shooters, but advances it in so many ways. With the mission setup with clear goals and the actors you get a pretty good story for a shooter, something that wasn't that common back then.

You are playing Kyle Katarn who works as a mercenary for the rebels. And you are tasked with finding out more about the new Dark Trooper project of the Imperials. In the missions you find more out about it and then go on to stop it.

The game shows memorable locations and has pretty good events layed out in the missions. Another point keeping you on you're toes is, that you can only save between missions, but got multiple lifes. So no save scumming.

Star Wars: Dark Forces runs well in Dosbox if you have an old copy. Or you can buy it from GOG, where it is currently on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPGhsy-L7vc

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Well, my #9 still needs guessing:

#9: This not that classic (10+ years old) japanese RPG has colorful NPCs joining your party, that you can subsequently control in combat. This game started a series with two sequels (but only one numbered) and a port and a remaster/remake of this original game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

(..)

(..)

This is the level I talked about in my Dark Forces entry a couple weeks ago. The stuff of nightmares for an 8 year old. I still don't like sewer levels.

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

I am going to guess 8 as Bloodborne.

Correct.

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

(..)

(..)

This is the level I talked about in my Dark Forces entry a couple weeks ago. The stuff of nightmares for an 8 year old. I still don't like sewer levels.

Hehe. I was a bit older back then and was impressed by the realism. The melee dark force (what was the name of them, I forgot, long time ago), that thing got my blood pumping though.