By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Darashiva said:

Second set of hints for a few games.

• The main character is now an instructor at a military school.
  • The 3rd game in this sub-series, and overall the 8th game in this particular storyline.

• Deviating from the course of destiny.
  • Deliberately changes the original story.

• The origin of the dragon and the mad dog.
  • One of the many things you get to do is real-estate management.

#28: I am pretty certain this is a Trails game. Trails of Cold Steel III?

#27: TimeSplitters 2?

#26: Sleeping Dogs?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some hints for my next few games:

36.  It appears that a lot of people have been leaving WoW this year to play this MMO.

35.  This SNES entry is more like the arcade version than the NES entry was.

34.  This first game in the series was based on a classical piece of literature but not European literature.

#35: Super Punch Out!!

35. Correct!

Mnementh said:

More hints:

#31: Transferring the soul of an animal into a child born without one will not end well. Anyone surprised? Killing a god may the cause of it all.

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank. Deliver the cleaned laundry.

#29: The rooster of war! The tree of love!

#28: Climbing, swimming, running, flying, digging... and freezing.

28. Breath of the Wild?

Darashiva said:

• The 3rd game in this sub-series, and overall the 8th game in this particular storyline.

28. Trials of Cold Steel 3?

27. Final Fantasy 7 Remake?

TruckOSaurus said:
Darashiva said:

#27: Final Fantasy VII:Remake

Correct.

Mnementh said:

#28: I am pretty certain this is a Trails game. Trails of Cold Steel III?

#27: TimeSplitters 2?

#26: Sleeping Dogs?

Trails of Cold Steel III is correct, the other two aren't.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

28. Trials of Cold Steel 3?

27. Final Fantasy 7 Remake?

Correct on both, though both were guessed literally a minute or two before you.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

More hints:

#31: Transferring the soul of an animal into a child born without one will not end well. Anyone surprised? Killing a god may the cause of it all.

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank. Deliver the cleaned laundry.

#29: The rooster of war! The tree of love!

#28: Climbing, swimming, running, flying, digging... and freezing.

28. Breath of the Wild?

This answer makes me realize, how much this hints fits Breath of the Wild. And I could make much more hitns fitting BOTW. Just, that isn't the game I have in mind.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

S.Peelman said:
Kakadu18 said:

#33: Hint 4: A temple that seems to go on forever floor after floor that drains a certain energy from you.

Phantom Hourglass?

I don't remember the Kraken thing though .

Yes, it's Phantom Hourglass. Isn't Bellum a kraken like creature?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
S.Peelman said:

Phantom Hourglass?

I don't remember the Kraken thing though .

Yes, it's Phantom Hourglass. Isn't Bellum a kraken like creature?

Oh yeah, Bellum's a Kraken of sorts.

Funny that I didn't realise this at first, that was one of my main gripes with Phantom Hourglass; that I didn't really find it, and its antagonist on particular, to be very memorable.

#33: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

My first Zelda game and my second game ever. I think I was just 6 years old back then. Massive nostalgia. A fantastic adventure with some great creative ideas.

I love almost everything about this game. Many people critisized the Temple of the Ocean King, that you had to go through all of it over and over again. But I had fun with it, often repeating it just to get through faster.

Obviously it looks ugly in hindsight, even though back then it looked totally okay to me.

The dynamic between the characters especially Linebeck and Ciela is great with some funny dialogue and great character development.

The dungeons offer some great puzzles and very unique bosses, in particular the third boss in the Temple of Courage was very memorable. This giant turtle called Crayk turnes invisible and on one screen you can see Link as always and on the other screen you see what Crayk sees from his point of view. That concept is something I haven't seen anywhere else.

The Goron Temple stands out because of how you beat it together with a Goron.

The section where you try to find the Ghost Ship in the fog was always very scary to me.

I like the map navigation way more than in Spirit Tracks since it offers more movement freedom. And you can jump. On the other hand Spirit Tracks does make a bit more out of limitation it creates by creating tention when you try to get past demon trains and making more tracks a reward for completing certain side quests. Both have their positives. The ship offers way more customisation than the train in Spirit Tracks.

The soundtrack is great. (That reminds me that I forgot to talk about the soundtrack in Ocarina of Time. OoT's soundtrack is imo in the top 3 in the franchise together with The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, but I can't decide which one's the best.)

Bellum as the main antagonist is surprisingly effective considering he's a mindless monster that doesn't talk. I find him very memorable and think he's the third best main villain (not counting Ghirahim and Zant) in the Zelda series behind Ganondorf and Demise, not in terms of the fight but the character. Yes, I like Bellum more than Vaati. The ending is great.

This game made me truely fall in love with gaming and the Zelda series.

Great, fun game. Will always love it.

Phantom Hourglass is the fourth Zelda game on my list thus far.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 29 November 2021

Guessed by Kakadu18

Like I said when I talked about 'Super Metroid' (#36), the Metroid series had fallen out of my memory for a long time. Simultaneously, console gaming, both home and handheld, was losing my interest during the early 2000s era. The GameBoy Advance in my eyes was a mediocre system, with just a couple of ports, of admittedly some of the best games ever, that were worth playing. The system however was a bit of a victim of my lukewarm reception of the GameCube and after I found the GameBoy Advance's Mario Kart to be mediocre as well, my interest waned. I even missed out on 'The Minish Cap' initially, and that's saying something, that's a Zelda game. Many years later though I found that I had missed some really good stuff.

The best of the good stuff was 'Metroid Fusion', and it reminded me of how good the series was after I only played a bit of Super Metroid when I was young. Funnily enough, I think Fusion is the best game in the series, even though its world is not really structured the way the series is famous for. Granted I haven't played 'Dread' yet, or the Prime games but obviously those are different. People can fight me on this, but the linearity of this game, is what makes the story possible, and is what makes the game great.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 29 November 2021

So yesterday was a good day for guesses. #31 was guessed after some tries by coolbeans; Motocross Madness and #29 was guessed as well by GoOnKid who correctly guessed SoulCalibur. Here's a second hint for #30 and we continue to #28.

#30: The battle between these two belligerents continues this time also over sea and air.

Hint 2: You shouldn't click on the boat and stop rocking it, because you're making him seasick. Guessed by Darashiva - Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness

#29: First there was an evil sword that changes appearance depending on its wielder, but in this game, there's a spirit sword made to combat it. Guessed by GoOnKid - SoulCalibur

#28: Originally this game far supposed to feature a male protagonist, by the designers figured that then it would look a little too much like James Bond, so the decided to have a female star instead. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser - The Operative: No One Lives Forever

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 30 November 2021

S.Peelman said:

So yesterday was a good day for guesses. #31 was guessed after some tries by coolbeans; Motocross Madness and #29 was guessed as well by GoOnKid who correctly guessed SoulCalibur. Here's a second hint for #30 and we continue to #28.

#30: The battle between these two belligerents continues this time also over sea and air.

Hint 2: You shouldn't click on the boat and stop rocking it, because you're making him seasick.

#29: First there was an evil sword that changes appearance depending on its wielder, but in this game, there's a spirit sword made to combat it. Guessed by GoOnKid - SoulCalibur

#28: Originally this game far supposed to feature a male protagonist, by the designers figured that then it would look a little too much like James Bond, so the decided to have a female star instead.

#28: Makes me think of Perfect Dark. Is it that one?