By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

Funnily enough, I think Fusion is the best game in the series, even though it doesn't have the thing the series is famous for. This is not really a "Metroidvania". Granted I haven't played 'Dread' yet, or the Prime games but obviously those are different. People can fight me on this, but the linearity of this game, is what makes the story possible, and is what makes the game great.

What is this "thing", exactly? Being non-linear? There's many linear metroidvanias out there, in fact most Metroid games are. The qualities the Metroid series is known for are there for sure.

I mean the game isn't really a maze like the others, you can really only go one way and the only place you really have to go regularly is the area with the elevators. I didn't mean it doesn't feel like other Metroids, it does, but it's structured differently. It's almost like there's a hub-world with levels.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 29 November 2021

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
S.Peelman said:

#28: Originally this game far supposed to feature a male protagonist, by the designers figured that then it would look a little too much like James Bond, so the decided to have a female star instead.

#28: Makes me think of Perfect Dark. Is it that one?

Mmm yeah that would fit the hint alright, but that wasn't the game I meant.

mZuzek said:

#33 - The bad guys use a flying pirate ship to freeze stuff.
Hint 2 - They wear all-black outfits in this sequel, whereas they wore all-white in the previous game.
Hint 3 - There's an optional tournament mode where you can fight against the "bosses" from earlier games in the series.
Hint 4 - Though it's from a long-running series, this is the only mainline game to have a number in its title.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

S.Peelman said:

So yesterday was a good day for guesses. #31 was guessed after some tries by coolbeans; Motocross Madness and #29 was guessed as well by GoOnKid who correctly guessed SoulCalibur. Here's a second hint for #30 and we continue to #28.

#30: The battle between these two belligerents continues this time also over sea and air.

Hint 2: You shouldn't click on the boat and stop rocking it, because you're making him seasick.

#29: First there was an evil sword that changes appearance depending on its wielder, but in this game, there's a spirit sword made to combat it. Guessed by GoOnKid - SoulCalibur

#28: Originally this game far supposed to feature a male protagonist, by the designers figured that then it would look a little too much like James Bond, so the decided to have a female star instead.

30: Warcraft 2

#33StarCraft/Brood War
guessed byTruckOSaurus
platformWindows
release year1998
developer/publisherBlizzard Entertainment
genrereal time strategy
linksWikipedia
download for free
past years2020: #28, 2019: #25, 2018: #25, 2017: #25

Starcraft is a historic game. It mixed the formula for real time strategy in a way, which was wildly successful. It was also the game, that spawned e-Sport leagues starting in Korea. It was a mainstay in LAN-parties for more than a decade. The included map editor created a lively online community sharing new creations. Blizzard supported that by releasing the Map of the Month for a long time. Among the user creations were maps that started the Tower Defense genre. Blizzard introduced the expansion Brood War, which added a lot of content and kept the game alive for even longer. I think it is fair to say, that the gaming world today would look different without StarCraft.

This game was a lot of fun to play. At college a group of friends often met to play StarCraft matches locally in the LAN. And without them I played the single player campaign. Which was doubled by Brood War.

The game has a sci-fi setting with three warring civilizations, humans and the alien races of Zerg and Protoss. Each faction has their own research tree, own units and specialties. Again, reasearch and unit types were extended by the excellent Brood War expansion.

If you want to play it today, you can download the original game (well, with a lot of patches that came over the years) for free from Blizzard, or you can purchase the remastered version. Either way, it is a great classic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00uQzXyujI

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

After the last games were all guessed early, these ones seem to be a bit more difficult. More hints:

#31: Transferring the soul of an animal into a child born without one will not end well. Anyone surprised? Killing a god may the cause of it all. You are the Watcher.

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank. Deliver the cleaned laundry. Actually you forget to deliver it.

#29: The rooster of war! The tree of love! This colorful open world game let you interact with some gods.

#28: Climbing, swimming, running, flying, digging... and freezing. Luckily there are hot springs, which will warm you up. Guessed by Darashiva.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 30 November 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

S.Peelman said:

So yesterday was a good day for guesses. #31 was guessed after some tries by coolbeans; Motocross Madness and #29 was guessed as well by GoOnKid who correctly guessed SoulCalibur. Here's a second hint for #30 and we continue to #28.

#30: The battle between these two belligerents continues this time also over sea and air.

Hint 2: You shouldn't click on the boat and stop rocking it, because you're making him seasick.

#29: First there was an evil sword that changes appearance depending on its wielder, but in this game, there's a spirit sword made to combat it. Guessed by GoOnKid - SoulCalibur

28. No One Lives Forever?

Mnementh said:

After the last games were all guessed early, these ones seem to be a bit more difficult. More hints:

#31: Transferring the soul of an animal into a child born without one will not end well. Anyone surprised? Killing a god may the cause of it all. You are the Watcher.

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank. Deliver the cleaned laundry. Actually you forget to deliver it.

#29: The rooster of war! The tree of love! This colorful open world game let you interact with some gods.

#28: Climbing, swimming, running, flying, digging... and freezing. Luckily there are hot springs, which will warm you up.

28. Immortals Fenyx Rising?

More hints on my games:

34. a) This first game in the series was based on a classical piece of literature but not European literature.
b) The literature is about outlaws from a marsh, but the video game also included elves and dwarves and other fantasy tropes that they thought would appeal to a Western audience.

33.  I bought a SNES on launch day in order to get this game.  Given, the game didn't release until sometime the next year, but Nintendo Power said it was coming, so I just had to have a SNES as soon as possible.

32.  This game is probably the main reason why the Wii holds the NPD record for most hardware sold in a single month.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints on my games:

34. a) This first game in the series was based on a classical piece of literature but not European literature.
b) The literature is about outlaws from a marsh, but the video game also included elves and dwarves and other fantasy tropes that they thought would appeal to a Western audience.

33.  I bought a SNES on launch day in order to get this game.  Given, the game didn't release until sometime the next year, but Nintendo Power said it was coming, so I just had to have a SNES as soon as possible.

32.  This game is probably the main reason why the Wii holds the NPD record for most hardware sold in a single month.

#33: A Link to the Past?

#32: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Kakadu18 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints on my games:

#33: A Link to the Past?

#32: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Both correct!