By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dataminers find 38 N64 and 52 Genesis games as well as a new console for NSO

Dulfite said:

Inb4 the 4th platform is virtual boy and it requires additional equipment and the internet moans.

Actual footage of the last people to play Virtual boy. They were told to not look at it but they didn't listen

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Ogre Battle 64 is a great game, but it has been released on Wii VC/Wii U eShop in the past. I just can't give kudos to this. The truth is that the Wii VC had a much better selection of retro titles than the Wii U had and the Wii U somehow has a better selection than the Switch currently has. I really want to see Nintendo do something new and bring us into the GCN era with their online service releases. I simply do not understand why this hasn't been done. The collectables market is scalping people with $300 price tags for games like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and $100+ for a load of other Gamecube titles (especially RPGs). Nintendo can help push this demand down at least a bit by actually offering people these games at a reasonable price. I know people have the Dolphin emulator running on the Switch. Is it that complex to get reasonable GCN performance on the Switch or is it just Nintendo being lazy?

Illusion said:

Ogre Battle 64 is a great game, but it has been released on Wii VC/Wii U eShop in the past. I just can't give kudos to this. The truth is that the Wii VC had a much better selection of retro titles than the Wii U had and the Wii U somehow has a better selection than the Switch currently has. I really want to see Nintendo do something new and bring us into the GCN era with their online service releases. I simply do not understand why this hasn't been done. The collectables market is scalping people with $300 price tags for games like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and $100+ for a load of other Gamecube titles (especially RPGs). Nintendo can help push this demand down at least a bit by actually offering people these games at a reasonable price. I know people have the Dolphin emulator running on the Switch. Is it that complex to get reasonable GCN performance on the Switch or is it just Nintendo being lazy?

I know I keep repeating this ad nauseum, but it bares saying again: the IP holders of the greatest hits of retro games have realized there's more to be made in selling us old games in the form of ports/remakes/remasters/compilations rather than putting them on a subscription service, and the games we do get either cost Nintendo a pretty penny to license or are games they don't care enough about or don't see as worthy.

I see it as both a good and bad thing. On one hand, I'd rather have enhanced ports/remakes of things like Squeenix RPGs (the NES Dragon Warrior games nonwithstanding) I can buy individually or compilations like Mega Man/Contra/Castlevania that give insane value for multiple old games, especially when on sale. Games that I can actually own and won't lose if I cancel the subscription. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder how many games are now being held hostage because the IP holder thinks that it will one day do something else with it.

I know that there are examples that run against my opinion (I'm not stating this as official or absolute truth, just going off of the trend I see) like Blaster Master, Joe & Mac, Wild Guns Reloaded and so on, but those games aren't nearly as big as things like Street Fighter 2, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy.

OP, what's with liking DK64? That game was the biggest disappointment on the N64. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but...the game was bad. All it took was that one game for Nintendo to abandon 3D DK games for the next 25 years and counting lol. More power to you if you somehow liked the game though haha, I'm sure it'll be added to Switch Online. Don't mind me though, I just always get surprised when I see people on this site say they actually liked that game, maybe it was more fun for little kids at the time?? The way kids who watched The Phantom Menace grow up loving Jar Jar Binks while everyone else hates him. That's probably the most disappointing game I can think of ever being released by Nintendo, relative to its pre-launch hype level. It was supposed to be the next Mario 64, using the expansion pak to push the limits of the system, and then it was just a dull piece of mediocrity with fancy graphics. Yes my DK64 hate is strong, but well deserved ;)

Anyways, looks like in time there will be lots of N64 and Genesis games on the system and people can eventually stop complaining that it isn't worth the price. Assuming GB and GBA games will get rolled into this subscription eventually (probably in a couple years at the end of Switch's life cycle though), at that point people will be saying how great a deal it is.
I do think Nintendo should have announced this new subscription tier but waited on launching it for a few months until they could fix all the bugs and maybe doubled the games at launch to make it much more clear that it is worth the 150% price increase over the basic subscription. It's one of those things that they underwhelmed at the start and botched the launch so it gets lots of hate but eventually this is going to be the coolest subscription service out there.

Slownenberg said:

OP, what's with liking DK64? That game was the biggest disappointment on the N64. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but...the game was bad. All it took was that one game for Nintendo to abandon 3D DK games for the next 25 years and counting lol. More power to you if you somehow liked the game though haha, I'm sure it'll be added to Switch Online. Don't mind me though, I just always get surprised when I see people on this site say they actually liked that game, maybe it was more fun for little kids at the time?? The way kids who watched The Phantom Menace grow up loving Jar Jar Binks while everyone else hates him. That's probably the most disappointing game I can think of ever being released by Nintendo, relative to its pre-launch hype level. It was supposed to be the next Mario 64, using the expansion pak to push the limits of the system, and then it was just a dull piece of mediocrity with fancy graphics. Yes my DK64 hate is strong, but well deserved ;)

Anyways, looks like in time there will be lots of N64 and Genesis games on the system and people can eventually stop complaining that it isn't worth the price. Assuming GB and GBA games will get rolled into this subscription eventually (probably in a couple years at the end of Switch's life cycle though), at that point people will be saying how great a deal it is.
I do think Nintendo should have announced this new subscription tier but waited on launching it for a few months until they could fix all the bugs and maybe doubled the games at launch to make it much more clear that it is worth the 150% price increase over the basic subscription. It's one of those things that they underwhelmed at the start and botched the launch so it gets lots of hate but eventually this is going to be the coolest subscription service out there.

1) I loved DK64 as a kid. My friends and I had a blast playing multiplayer together, and I enjoyed the level designs, music, an verticality of progression as you gained abilities. I can still hear some of the songs in my head decades since I last played (not the intro silly song, the other ones in the game are far better than the rap lol).

2) Jar Jar Binks is, and always will be, one of the most amazing characters. Not because of who he seemingly is, but because of his true nature. He is the true Sith Lord, pulling the strings of Sidious.

Around the Network

burninmylight said:

I know I keep repeating this ad nauseum, but it bares saying again: the IP holders of the greatest hits of retro games have realized there's more to be made in selling us old games in the form of ports/remakes/remasters/compilations rather than putting them on a subscription service, and the games we do get either cost Nintendo a pretty penny to license or are games they don't care enough about or don't see as worthy.

Yeah, this is a good point.  Developers probably didn't realize the profitability of this remake/remaster model back 10-15 years ago which may be partially why the older platforms like the Wii have such a vastly superior repository of online games compared to now.  That said, some great games like Baten Kaitos, Shining Force 3, Panzar Dragoon Saga, Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Phantasy Star Online would be perfect for release on Nintendo's online service.  I mean, these are niche games (usually rpgs) that have very small audiences to start with but offer amazing experiences for those who are willing to invest the time.  I just don't see these types of games getting a remaster or formal re-release anytime soon, but there is an audience that would absolutely play them.  I just don't want to see these games go the way that so many NES rpgs have gone like Ultima, Might and Magic, Advanced D&D, Bard's Tale, etc where most gamers don't even know that these titles (or even IPs) exist anymore much less play them.  Say what you want about Sega releasing the og Phantasy Star games, they are at least keeping the series in people's minds and forcing it back into some form of relevance.  These online services are a great way to maintain popularity and preserve relevance of the more niche titles that aren't going to be getting the remaster treatment.

Slownenberg said:

Lol, the only decent part of DK64 was the arcade terminal in the Frantic Factory level where you play that old DK arcade game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaGxeYK9O_s&t=1s

But yeah, DK64 was probably the worst entry from Rare on the N64 and I think was one of the only Rare games that I never 100 percented as a kid because of lack of interest.  I think that Rare had one of their junior teams leading DK64's development, but it definitely marked the start of Rare's decline, in my opinion.  I think that the bigger issue is that Nintendo had absolutely nothing else to fill the gap for Christmas 1999 on the N64.  DK64 also had some major memory leak issue that Rare couldn't figure out how to debug and so Nintendo's solution was to just package the expansion pak with every copy of the game which doubled the N64's RAM and basically helped conceal the issue (I don't think that the Expansion Pak was actually used for anything else in the game other than to keep it from crashing from the bug).  Really, though, the game never should have been given the hype and prominence that it got.  It should have been the given the publicity of a game like Jet Force Gemini, given a mid-year release and then thrown into the recesses of everybody's memory, instead it Nintendo held it up like it would be the next Zelda OOT and made it front and center for an entire holiday season.  The problem was that Nintendo absolutely needed something huge and had nothing from EAD to release at that time.  In my opinion OOT should have been released in 1997 and Majora's Mask in 1999 and then this could have been avoided. 

Anyways, I think that this is why DK64 has this giant legacy even though it is at best a mediocre effort.  You are right that it is very much like Star Wars Episode I.

But does the emulation work properly yet?

Love and tolerate.

dx11332sega said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I knew Nintendo had to have more up their sleeve in order to justify the price increase. Which doesn't matter much if the online service is still barebones and N64 games are struggling as is lol but I'm anxious to see what games and console will be coming in the future. May turn out to be worth it down the road

Dataminers have found that at least 38 N64 games & 52 SEGA Genesis games are planned for Nintendo Switch Online - My Nintendo News

Here's my top 10 games I'm hoping make it to be worth it for me:

DK64

Perfect Dark

Diddy Kong Racing

Banjo-Tooie

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Mario Party 1-3

1080 Snowboarding

Pokemon Stadium

And as a LONG shot, Goldeneye

Goldeneye , Snowboard kids , Ogre 64 , Beetle Adventures, Conkers bad fur day , Diddy Kong racing 

Those are all great picks, although I’ve never played Snowboard kids… I remember it coming out - N64 games were infrequent enough that every game release was memorable for Nintendo fans at the time.

I want Cruisin USA. I played it, the game was technically horrible running at about 7-10 FPS, and had pop-up worse than anything I’ve ever seen, and somehow was loads of fun. It’s not quite Plan 9 from Outer Space of video games (I think that’s Big Rigs), but maybe the Evil Dead.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.