By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition Trailer

DonFerrari said:
Vodacixi said:

it appears Vice City is not included. in the cartridge and has to be downloaded. It had to be my favourite. It had to be my favourite. Fuck...

Rockstar doing their best to please you

Indeed. They really want me to not buy this game xD

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

it appears Vice City is not included. in the cartridge and has to be downloaded. It had to be my favourite. It had to be my favourite. Fuck...

They could be trying to maximize profits with a smaller sized cart.

SKMBlake said:
Pemalite said:

The Switch is certainly 25.6GB/s which "on-paper" seems to be in the same ballpark.
But ask yourself this... What technologies has the Switch, thanks to it's nVidia Maxwell roots done to make more use of it?

No no, you missed my point, I wanted to point the weakest thing of the Switch, which is its bandwidth. But of course everything else make the Switch way more powerful.

No. You missed my point.

I am saying that the black and white numbers misconstrued out of it's technical context isn't accurate.

Yes bandwidth is one of the weakest aspects of the Switch, but not as much as you think... Especially at 720P.
nVidia put in allot of work to maximize bandwidth on Maxwell, hence why it was difficult for AMD to keep up at the time... Aggressive culling with a tiled based rasterization approach is extremely efficient... And big improvements to delta colour compression gave tangible real world gains...

AMD "tried" those approaches with it's GCN Vega architecture, unfortunately draw stream binning rasterization was a no-go, primitive shaders fell through and then they tried to bundle it with HBM DRAM to make up for the bandwidth.

It wasn't until RDNA that those technologies finally got activated and AMD regained competitiveness.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

DonFerrari said:
h2ohno said:

So we're arguing past each other. Your point is that it is physically possible for them to do it, which I agree with, and my point is that they have substantial business reasons not to do it which is why they are in fact not doing it. They have to decide that the potential gain is worth the investment. If they sell 100 million units of one console, they will make more money than if they sell 100 million of 2 consoles combined. That's one of the reasons Nintendo went the route it did. If they spend $10 million to develop the new system and $10 million to market it, it has to sell $20 million above above whatever sales it takes from the older system just to break even, plus above the cost of producing each and every unit.

That would mean there is 0 addition of sales with the new form factor which we know isn't even possible. Even when they make a slim version people double dip =p

DonFerrari said:
h2ohno said:

So you're saying that technology has reached the point where the way hardware has always been developed no longer applies.  They can just release a new console with no investment, no R&D, no preparation and just have it sell without any negative consequences, and their home consoles won't suffer at all from them offering a product that offers the exact same games at a lower price and on the go.  We don't live in a fantasy world where companies can just put out whatever products we want with no risk and no investment.  Sony would have to be mad to take such an action when the PS5 is all but guaranteed to sell over 100 million units and doing so would only make it less appealing with no guarantee sales of the handheld version would make up for the lost home console sales or the investment.  Their most successful handheld sold around the same as their least successful home console, and their last handheld barely outsold the Wii U.

Microsoft has perhaps a bigger incentive to go this route since they don't sell as many units and they don't care about burning money.  A handheld Xbox Series would still hurt the appeal of the Series X and S, but it's not like sales of those will ever be on fire and they don't have as much to lose, but they were also burned the last time they tried to follow a hardware trend started by Nintendo and will likely never fully recover from that. Sony has no incentive whatsoever to mess with their golden goose.

Again you are really not getting the point.

Where did I say there is no R&D expenses?

Who said lower price for the games? It is the same shared library, you buy physical you can play only on console, you buy digital you can play on both.

In what world would having a PS5 portable at the same time as PS5 console would sell less than PS5 console alone? Some people would sure prefer to buy a weaker PS5 for portability and save some money on the HW as well, others preffer to have the as strong as possible version and don`t care about portability they don`t canibalize as you think, or do you think AMD and NVidia should stop making GPU versions for notebook?

Sony doesn't even make money from the HW, so as long as their additional SW sales and royalties increase more than it would cost the R&D of a portable version of the PS5 architecture there would be no detriment to it.

And again I didn't even say they will do it or should do it. I'm just pointing it is feasible.

Yup. Not saying it's a done deal, but SNY and/or MS could totally make 'cross device' games happen if third parties can so easily for Switch.

Have they? Not yet, but the mobile market is huge and growing, and if Switch sales continue as they are, they'd be crazy not to take a slice soon enough. Both SNY and MS (laptops/tablets) have made mobile devices before, so they're far from starting from scratch. More time and money would need to be spent however, correct, in which both SNY and MS clearly have plenty of and are looking to spend in many different ways.

As for optics, a SNY or MS handheld would hardly be seen as negative anymore, as long as it doesn't clearly hinder their top tier first party AAA exclusives for console. MS and PS AAA first party is ending up on XB1S and PS4 still and big AAA third party is ending up on Switch. GOWR, HFW, Halo. Not exactly poor titles by the looks of it. MS already has the XBSS, which is basically an XB1X, an 8th gen console, though upgraded arch for the 9th gen. Comparing XBSS to XBSX should mean horribly poor sales for MS due to optics. That's not the case though. PS5 sales should also be tanking due to PC cross platform ports, but that's not happening either. A handheld won't change that trend either, assuming it's worthy.

A new mobile device will almost certainly increase sales, again, assuming it's worthy. Reasonable performance at a reasonable mobile price. That's not to say some console fans won't... switch, or brand fans won't... switch, but overall it would add more hardware sales. The question really is would the handheld sell more or less games and/or media, because that's where the money is. If the handheld didn't sell anywhere near Switch numbers, but sells way more games than their consoles do per unit, then it would be worth it as an addition to the ecosystem.

Speaking with an EB Games knowledgeable person here in Australia, he told me that is possible that only GTA III will come in the card, but I found it really strange if that was the case.

and yeah, the price for the Switch version will be lower too in here. 

Pemalite said:
SKMBlake said:

No no, you missed my point, I wanted to point the weakest thing of the Switch, which is its bandwidth. But of course everything else make the Switch way more powerful.

No. You missed my point.

I am saying that the black and white numbers misconstrued out of it's technical context isn't accurate.

Yes bandwidth is one of the weakest aspects of the Switch, but not as much as you think... Especially at 720P.
nVidia put in allot of work to maximize bandwidth on Maxwell, hence why it was difficult for AMD to keep up at the time... Aggressive culling with a tiled based rasterization approach is extremely efficient... And big improvements to delta colour compression gave tangible real world gains...

AMD "tried" those approaches with it's GCN Vega architecture, unfortunately draw stream binning rasterization was a no-go, primitive shaders fell through and then they tried to bundle it with HBM DRAM to make up for the bandwidth.

It wasn't until RDNA that those technologies finally got activated and AMD regained competitiveness.

Always love reading your technical breakdowns.

In addition to just fanboy bias I think its fair to say that a lot of it comes down to people just not understanding much about how graphics technology works. Also, people conjure up their rose-tinted memories of how good AAA PS3/360 games looked at the time, but compare them to how Switch games look now.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
SKMBlake said:

No. You missed my point.

That was my point actually: of course the Switch have a more modern architecture, more ram, more power efficient SoC and stuff, so I was saying "if you wanna take raw numbers, the weakest thing would be the bandwidth, and even this - taking raw numbers - is somewhat on par with the other systems, so assuming GTA V wouldn't run without being downgraded is a nonsense.

That was my point.

Pemalite said:
Vodacixi said:

They could be trying to maximize profits with a smaller sized cart.

I don't care about Rockstar wanting to be even richer honestly. I just want the trilogy in a single cartridge xD

Radek said:

Honestly they should have made Switch version costs as much as PS4/Xbox One, but instead offer full game on the card.

Don't tell me the extra 7 pounds wouldn't cover bigger card's additional cost?

It's the retailers who offer it for a lower price. Rockstar most likely sold it to them for the same price as the others. Digitally they cost the same after all.

Kakadu18 said:
Radek said:

Honestly they should have made Switch version costs as much as PS4/Xbox One, but instead offer full game on the card.

Don't tell me the extra 7 pounds wouldn't cover bigger card's additional cost?

It's the retailers who offer it for a lower price. Rockstar most likely sold it to them for the same price as the others. Digitally they cost the same after all.

In the UK the Switch version is £5 cheaper using prices on eShop, PSN and Xbox Live so there is definitely a lower RRP for the Switch version.

WoodenPints said:
Kakadu18 said:

In the UK the Switch version is £5 cheaper using prices on eShop, PSN and Xbox Live so there is definitely a lower RRP for the Switch version.

Unless it's 70€ on Playstation and Xbox instead of 60€ like on the Switch I think this might be only in the UK.