By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition Trailer

Hiku said:

My main question is, will Vice City keep its sound track?

Michael Jackson
Run DMC
Iron Maiden
Lionel Richie
Etc

That's a lot of licensing. But the music is what made Vice City imo, so it would be a completely different experience without it.aps people forgot that GTAV is a PS3 game, because it's been re-released on every system and keeps selling to this day.

That's the only one I want to replay honestly. Hopefully the soundtrack is there in all it's glory.

I've done a little reading and it doesn't seem like they plan on releasing them individually at this stage... Would pay upwards of $30 just for the one game.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

The European version of the cartridge doesn't show a download requirement

Doesn’t matter, the NTSC and Australian versions of Final Fantasy X/X-2 don’t show a download required note either, but X-2 is a download code. 

h2ohno said:

Sony and Microsoft are in the business of making the most powerful hardware possible. By its nature a hybrid console cannot be that. Ergo they don't make hybrid consoles. Nintendo used to be in the business of making the most powerful hardware possible, but stopped doing that 15 years ago. The Steam Deck shows what the limits of hybrid tech are today, and it's closer to the PS4 than the PS5 in specs. Making a totally new console that can be used as a mobile device as well requires a ton of capital for R&D and the end product would by nature have a radically different architecture than the PS5 and XBSX which aren't concerned about power draw or battery life. It would mean competing with themselves in a way Nintendo doesn't do since they don't have a dedicated home console. It's a niche they are happy to cede to Nintendo since the Switch is different enough from their products that it doesn't cut into their sales.

They still could make a PS5 handheld (not hybrid) to play the same library and that could be the most powerful HH possible and that wouldn't add another platform to support except porting which can be made and even API could make it simpler process than what we think, although I don't expect them to do it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hiku said:
kazuyamishima said:

Doesn’t matter, the NTSC and Australian versions of Final Fantasy X/X-2 don’t show a download required note either, but X-2 is a download code. 

Monster Hunter Rise (Or Stories 2, one of them) had that on the box as well, but turns out it was a mistake, and Capcom had to correct the story and explain that it's all on the cartridge.

Yep, but this one is actually a mistake and even the european version mentions the download

DonFerrari said:
h2ohno said:

Sony and Microsoft are in the business of making the most powerful hardware possible. By its nature a hybrid console cannot be that. Ergo they don't make hybrid consoles. Nintendo used to be in the business of making the most powerful hardware possible, but stopped doing that 15 years ago. The Steam Deck shows what the limits of hybrid tech are today, and it's closer to the PS4 than the PS5 in specs. Making a totally new console that can be used as a mobile device as well requires a ton of capital for R&D and the end product would by nature have a radically different architecture than the PS5 and XBSX which aren't concerned about power draw or battery life. It would mean competing with themselves in a way Nintendo doesn't do since they don't have a dedicated home console. It's a niche they are happy to cede to Nintendo since the Switch is different enough from their products that it doesn't cut into their sales.

They still could make a PS5 handheld (not hybrid) to play the same library and that could be the most powerful HH possible and that wouldn't add another platform to support except porting which can be made and even API could make it simpler process than what we think, although I don't expect them to do it.

Yup. If games can be fairly easily ported to Switch, then a Switch like console with Switch like hardware wouldn't be any different for SNY or MS. Since third parties are already easily porting to Switch then a Switch like SNY or MS handheld would be no problem porting games to now. Even easier if it's hardware more like what Steam Deck has. 

90+ mil sales isn't exactly niche either. That's a big growing pie that's uncut as of now.

Around the Network

I can see this doing really well on Switch for the novelty of playing full fat GTA on a Nintendo platform and on a handheld, plus on a system that's not only incredibly popular but which even niche stuff can sell decently well on.

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Yup. If games can be fairly easily ported to Switch, then a Switch like console with Switch like hardware wouldn't be any different for SNY or MS. Since third parties are already easily porting to Switch then a Switch like SNY or MS handheld would be no problem porting games to now. Even easier if it's hardware more like what Steam Deck has. 

90+ mil sales isn't exactly niche either. That's a big growing pie that's uncut as of now.

If it wasn't viable to port games to Switch, then the ports would have stopped years ago. Instead, we're in the system's 5th year and it's still getting plenty of ports from both 7th and 8th gen.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 October 2021

Zippy6 said:
spynx said:

All they did was improve the textures on the characters. Polygon-wise, they didn't add any.

They've absolutely increased the number of polygons in the models, individual triangles are much easier to see in the original, you can clearly see that in the shoulder on the image which is a smooth curve in the remasters. What they didn't do is change the style, they have unrealistic proportions and a plastic-toy appearance.

Some people might prefer a complete remake with realistic GTA 5 style graphics, others might prefer this approach that keeps the feel and aesthetic of the original games.

Identical models for the most part. I think they are just tessellating them on the fly to just "refine" them, likely using n-patches or similar to tell the tessellator what to do.
But I would need to see the mesh comparisons...

Random_Matt said:

DLSS for PC?
A) How shit is this remaster/port?
B) How shit are people's computers?

You can DLSS the game from 4k to 8k, then supersample down to 4k.

DLSS isn't just about performance.

Plus we are in the era of high-refresh rate gaming... Finally. And again. (God bless ye ole' CRT's!)

SKMBlake said:

I don't understand the "GTA V wouldn't run on the Switch without a massive downgrade" discussion, aren't we past that point ?

I mean the main limitation of the Switch is its bandwidth, and it's at 25Gb/s, which is on par with the Xbox 360 and PS3. And in comparison of the other elements, its architecture is more "modern" and habe way more RAM.

You are comparing raw black and white numbers... That is *never* going to be accurate or representative. Just like Teraflops, you NEED to have an understanding of this stuff and place it in the appropriate context for assertions to hold more accuracy and legitimacy.

Xbox 360 was 22.4GB/s, augmented by 256GB/s of eDRAM bandwidth, but also held back by 21.6GB/s of FSB bandwidth.
Playstation 3 was 25.6GB/s with 20GB/s from Cell to RSX and 15GB/s back again.

The Switch is certainly 25.6GB/s which "on-paper" seems to be in the same ballpark.
But ask yourself this... What technologies has the Switch, thanks to it's nVidia Maxwell roots done to make more use of it?

Well. 4th gen Delta Colour Compression is one such technique.. When comparing Maxwell to a GPU (I.E. Xbox 360/Playstation 3) that doesn't use Delta Colour Compression, you can obtain upwards of 70% of more bandwidth. Suddenly the Switch's comparatively useable DRAM bandwidth is sitting around 43.5GB/s in a best case scenario, almost a doubling on that front alone.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell/3

Throw in tiled based rendering which makes the use of bandwidth far more efficient... As it's able to discard parts of the scene via several culling methods that doesn't/isn't being rendered, saving on even more bandwidth.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10536/nvidia-maxwell-tile-rasterization-analysis

The Switch's GPU also has more and better caches which helps to reduce the need to perform memory transactions.

The Switchs storage device  (Cart, Internal NAND and MicroSD) tends to be significantly lower latency and higher bandwidth than spinning rust drives, which can provide streaming advantages.

curl-6 said:

Yeah I don't get why in 2021 the notion that the Switch is on par or even less capable than PS3/360 still persists, when we have had so many examples by now of Switch either running 7th gen games with big upgrades, or stuff last gen just couldn't handle. It's bizarre.

People just love to make arbitrary claims without fact checking.

Radek said:

Switch could probably run GTA V with the same graphics as Xbox One but with dynamic 720p in docked mode, or 900p with Xbox 360 settings. Either way Rockstar is too lazy to upgrade RAGE engine to work on Switch, and GTA V on my PC is already 104 gb lol.

Not probably. It can.

GTA 5 is built for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 and was "enhanced" for the 8th gen consoles.
The Switch is more capable than either of those two consoles in every single aspect.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

The Switch is certainly 25.6GB/s which "on-paper" seems to be in the same ballpark.
But ask yourself this... What technologies has the Switch, thanks to it's nVidia Maxwell roots done to make more use of it?

No no, you missed my point, I wanted to point the weakest thing of the Switch, which is its bandwidth. But of course everything else make the Switch way more powerful.

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

You're both ignoring the main points and pointing to Switch's success as proof that the other manufacturers could and should make a portable version of their current consoles.

If Sony could make a handheld version of the PS5 then the PS5 loses its relevance as the next generation of home console.  It is no longer the cutting edge of graphics but the cutting edge of handheld graphics, which remain different things.  It means that Sony could have made the PS5 much more powerful than they actually did.  Sony and Microsoft don't want to have the best hardware in a certain category.  They want to have the best hardware period.  There's a reason laptops will always be behind the best desktops and mobile hardware will always be behind dedicated home console hardware.

Could they make a hybrid like Nintendo?  Yes.  But that would require not just a radical shift in their business strategy.  It would require a vast investment as well as a risk on a new product.  It would mean splitting their resources.  It would mean making development of every first party game more expensive and time consuming in order to make the different versions of the same game.  And just because Nintendo succeeds doesn't mean another company will succeed.  The Nes and Gameboy had many competitors but achieved total market dominance.  The Move never caught on and Kinect after initial success played a big part in why the XB1 sold tens of millions of units less than the 360.  The Vita was an unmitigated failure.

With all that in mind, it's easy to see why they are sticking to the dedicated home console market.  Nintendo's market is mostly people who wouldn't get a dedicated home console or people who would get the Switch as a second console.  The number of people who are getting the Switch as their only console and would otherwise get a Playstation or an Xbox is very low.  This means that both have a larger share of the home console pie to go around.  It benefits them to not be in direct competition with a third company.  If they could put out a handheld or hybrid to test the waters with no investment that would be one thing, but in the real world it takes a lot of time and money to create something like that and bring it to market, all of which could go down the drain if it doesn't sell.  If Sony announced a hybrid or handheld device tomorrow, it would have been in development for multiple years and had tens of millions of dollars of R&D put into it at the bare minimum.