By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Jaffe's take on Metroid Dread

That was hilarious. Not just Jaffe but also how upset it made the op.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
JWeinCom said:

His explanation was stupid as fuck. The game places enemies literally on the blocks you are supposed to shoot, and as Samus can shoot at an angle, the most natural way to hit the enemy would be to shoot in that direction. Additionally, you can actually see the room above above you, so you know there is some way to get there. There is no other path. The gameplay mechanic of, hit blocks that look like other blocks, has been around for at three decades, and is practically synonymous with the genre. Even if he as someone in the intustry did not know this before playing Metroid Dread, the game at this point has several times put destroyable blocks that otherwise look like other blocks directly in his path and he must have destroyed them to progress. They literally have an Emmi chase you into a narrow corridor with destroyable blocks. Aside from having a little fairy companion who pops up to say "Hey listen, you can destroy some blocks!" they did everything they could.

His opinion is, again, stupid as fuck. He's entitled to give his stupid as fuck opinion, and by the same token people are entitled to point out that his stupid as fuck opinion is indeed stupid as fuck. Claiming that people calling out a stupid as fuck opinion for being stupid as fuck is akin to demanding that Nintendo never be criticized is stupid as fuck. 

Games are serious bussiness !!!

This is serious business sex and violence and video games.

-John Applecamp 2020

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 22 October 2021

JWeinCom said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Games are serious bussiness !!!

Well, some of us came to a videogame forum to... you know, discuss videogames. I'm doing that thing where you make a point, then give reasons to support it. You don't seem to have anything of substance to contribute.

numberwang said:

Indigo makes another good point: shooting rockets during cut scenes is a new concept, at least in Metroid and it is quite necessary for the scorpion boss. ADAM should have told about about that even if it breaks the 4th wall.

https://youtu.be/1cMBdosJL_c?t=6617

That's not really a good point, unless you think a game should tell you literally everything.

If you can press Y to fire during a cutscene, holding R to shoot missles instead is a pretty logical extension of that. 

In the tips you get while loading a checkpoint I'm pretty sure one of them says something to the effect of : countering an opponent opens them up to significant damage.

Dont really get the controversy here. So he thinks Mercury Steam did a bad thing. Ok...

KLXVER said:

Dont really get the controversy here. So he thinks Mercury Steam did a bad thing. Ok...

In the days of old this might not have warranted a thread but these days things to talk about have grown a might slim ... although in all fairness this story got brought to my attention by Google before the thread ever appeared here. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
The_Yoda said:

In the days of old this might not have warranted a thread but these days things to talk about have grown a might slim ... although in all fairness this story got brought to my attention by Google before the thread ever appeared here. 

Yeah, this story seems to be everywhere for whatever reason. I really don't get it. It's funny seeing his complaint about that one room, but really, that's it. I don't get why everyone made such a fuss about it, let the guy say whatever he wants.

I haven't even watched the video, I'm just hungry for all things Metroid at this point.  Like I said in another thread Metroid was second only to Zelda for me growing up (long years before Sony and M$ entered the gaming arena).  I will say I think this guy deserves more of our attention than Michael Pachter ever did.  At least this guy did something real when it comes to Video Games.

numberwang said:

Indigo makes another good point: shooting rockets during cut scenes is a new concept, at least in Metroid and it is quite necessary for the scorpion boss. ADAM should have told about about that even if it breaks the 4th wall.

TERRIBLE take.

Games don't need to hold your hand on everything. Easy to find out on your own

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 October 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

numberwang said:
JWeinCom said:

Well, some of us came to a videogame forum to... you know, discuss videogames. I'm doing that thing where you make a point, then give reasons to support it. You don't seem to have anything of substance to contribute.

numberwang said:

That's not really a good point, unless you think a game should tell you literally everything.

If you can press Y to fire during a cutscene, holding R to shoot missles instead is a pretty logical extension of that. 

Quick time events during cut scenes are common in gaming but not without button prompts and as a consequence you have to hammer fire buttons in every boss battle scene to discover these secret quick timers. Bad incentives and awkward design for a first run. Just give some prompts like any other game.

QTEs give you button prompts when what you're doing is not intuitive. For example in Resident Evil 4, there is absolutely no reason to think "There's a boulder headed towards me, I better mash A and B alternatively". Because those aren't the buttons for run. Or for example in Bayonetta where you're using the normal button to jump, but you need to do so with very specific timing.

On the other hand, when R and Y to fire missiles throughout the whole game, they should not have to tell you to hold R and Y to shoot missiles, especially when there's no specific timing you have to do it with. Even the guy who you're using as an example figured this out literally by the end of the first boss fight.

Maybe I'm just super smart. How many times would you have to fight that boss before figuring it out?

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 22 October 2021

Dgc1808 said:

That was hilarious. Not just Jaffe but also how upset it made the op.

I wasn't upset when I wrote it and I'm not upset now. I thought it was hilarious.

I also saw Jaffe complaining about the controls being too complicated.

I think I have a controller that better suits him.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!