By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Jaffe's take on Metroid Dread

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Ljink96 said:

He's not really into Metroid so I can see why he felt the way he did but to just chalk it up to "bad game design" and rage quit it is just in really poor taste. The game even tells you what to do in situations like his.

But I can also see the angle where maybe in QA they could have done a better job relaying concerns to the dev team for scenarios where the player doesn't play as the devs intended. I recall Jaffe saying he would playtest a game and intentionally go out of his way to see "what if the player doesn't want to do this here or maybe it didn't occur to them to do this here" and I think there's definitely some merit to that style of game design.

He had a cool chat with Gene Park yesterday about the game...again and he might go back to it but I doubt he will. I guess it's just not his style of metroidvania.

And roguelike games, didnt he rage quit to returnal too?

Yeah, he does that a lot with roguelikes. Probably did it with Returnal. I know he just stops playing games when he's done with them regardless if he finishes and I can understand that. There's so many games to play. Why spend time on games you don't want to anymore? Dude's 50, has kids, works on other unnamed projects, streams, etc. so yeah I'd probably not spend a lot of time on things I don't genuinely enjoy either. 

Around the Network

No way he's being sincere with those complaints. At least he shouldn't be so much of an ass about it.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:

No way he's being sincere with those complaints. At least he shouldn't be so much of an ass about it.

Didn't he claim playing his games will get youa blowjob from women? Yeah I can believe he is this much of an idiot because he's always been an idiot.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
JWeinCom said:

People gave the reason why his criticism is stupid as fuck. You cannot actually debunk that reasoning, so you are making a strawman argument that people are criticising him out of pure bias.  

From what i saw he got stuck in a section that had a design flaw in his opinion, he explained it in detail , he shits on hard games all the time but i never saw anyone so upset like his criticism of metroid, not even close

His explanation was stupid as fuck. The game places enemies literally on the blocks you are supposed to shoot, and as Samus can shoot at an angle, the most natural way to hit the enemy would be to shoot in that direction. Additionally, you can actually see the room above above you, so you know there is some way to get there. There is no other path. The gameplay mechanic of, hit blocks that look like other blocks, has been around for at three decades, and is practically synonymous with the genre. Even if he as someone in the intustry did not know this before playing Metroid Dread, the game at this point has several times put destroyable blocks that otherwise look like other blocks directly in his path and he must have destroyed them to progress. They literally have an Emmi chase you into a narrow corridor with destroyable blocks. Aside from having a little fairy companion who pops up to say "Hey listen, you can destroy some blocks!" they did everything they could.

His opinion is, again, stupid as fuck. He's entitled to give his stupid as fuck opinion, and by the same token people are entitled to point out that his stupid as fuck opinion is indeed stupid as fuck. Claiming that people calling out a stupid as fuck opinion for being stupid as fuck is akin to demanding that Nintendo never be criticized is stupid as fuck. 

It was really dumb, and I'm new to the Metroidvania genre as well!

Have only started playing Hollow Knight at the beginning of this year and Metroid Dread being my first ever Metroid game in the series, both are fantastic games that really made me appreciate the genre and is making me hungry for more Metroid games. I'm not good at them but I didn't struggle anywhere near as much as this!

Around the Network

Who is this guy exactly and why is his opinion relevant enough to yields a thread about it?

Every time I see you guys bring some stupid take from people on the internet I start to believe they are indeed playing dumb for the sake o getting internet buzz. I would probably die without even knowing who David Jaffes was supposed to be, now I know him, maybe this was his plan all along

mZuzek said:

Yeah, agreed with all of this big time. After the release and massive success of Breath of the Wild, I thought the industry would take a turn for the less handhold-y, but to this day it seems every open-world game is still filled with objective markers and icons littered everywhere. I guess it'll just continue to be an industry standard, and that games that believe in its players will continue to be outliars.

Yeah "games that believe in its players" - that is something of a rare sighting. There are tricky puzzle games. And games with very difficult combat. But to make the open world the difficult part is something I cannot recall many games doing.

Death Stranding might be interesting in this department. Never played it but from what I understand, it is very much about the actual act of traversing the land.

I'm currently playing Ghost of Tsushima and I had really big hopes for it being less handhold-y. But boy is nothing anybody says or does in this game ever important for you to know what you have to do. It actually feels like a very small game that can be finished in less than two hours stretched out over a big map. There are many instances of a game (here is another camp, here is you riding a horse, here is another duel, now the camp is bit bigger, etc.) but no cohesive whole.

-I actually felt more immersed in the very generic looking Days Gone that had me driving slowly on a bike into uncertainty and at least getting gas for my tank from time to time than I do feel immersed in GoT, mindlessly beaming around the map to clear shit.

I like GoT actually quite a bit, but it, along with 90 % of other open world games could be easily improved by having to pin your targets on a map yourselve. You heard about an area where thing x is, you read that name in your map, you set a pin at somewhere there and off you go. And make fast travel consumable, make it mean something, like an item you have to gather, or money you have to spend.

And perhaps make more sidequests dependant on time. You just should not be able to help the peasent family that was in danger in the beginning of the game after you beat the final boss. No more kilometers of quest-lists you have to work through. Would really also help to sell the illusion, that this world keeps on going without you and is truely here, with its population and their problems ever changing.

GoOnKid said:
RolStoppable said:

This is at a point in the game where it has long been established that breakable blocks will be a common thing. It's not even an obscure room where more open space becomes visible only after breaking certain blocks, what we have here is a room where it is in plain sight that shooting the ceiling could lead further.

A player has to act deliberately obtuse to not shoot this particular ceiling, so I can only assume that Jaffe had realized this early in the game that it's better than anything he has ever made and was already looking for reasons to justify why that is not the case. He's reaching hard and everyone who has played the game notices this immediately. He's not providing criticism, but mere desperation to find something to complain about.

But to be fair, it may not be the case that he dislikes the game because it's better than everything he ever did. He could very well be just a plain old Nintendo hater, because that type of personality results in the same mindboggling drivel.

Right? He must do this on purpose. He can't be that incompetent... or can he?

You guys need a history lesson into gaming arseholes, lesson one David Jaffe is a bona fide dick whose every second word rhythms with luck, lesson 2 Jaffe  repeatedly  pushed the God of War lead Artist to make Kratos look meaner and angrier and stating he wanted a mother rhythms with lucker of a lead character , I'm sure that the term art imitating life has popped into your thoughts or more likely arsehole creates arsehole , lesson 3 Jaffe having created both Twisted Metal and God of War no longer heading up anything meaningful tells us a lot. lesson 4 he is or at least was a developer with some good ideas the evidence being after GoW 3 came out Cory Barlog and Jaffe who worked together on GoW2 were asked on a show what would they like to see happen with the series Cory wasn't sure but suggested maybe Egypt it was Jaffe who suggested it be centred in Norse Mythology and low and behold Cory Barlog's GoW 2018 was centred around Norse Mythology to bad those ideas are coming from a rhythms with runt.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 21 October 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Leynos said:
Metallox said:

Didn't he claim playing his games will get youa blowjob from women? Yeah I can believe he is this much of an idiot because he's always been an idiot.

He might be an idiot (he's playing the game as if it was the first Metroid, if you notice) but you can't tell me he isn't being obtuse on purpose on this one? I mean, did you watch the second video where he is disproving himself every five seconds and yet he goes on with his rambling? Nah, man. He's putting bait and people are biting. Don't know why would he wish to waste his time like that, though, that's what makes him silly. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Who is this guy exactly and why is his opinion relevant enough to yields a thread about it?

Every time I see you guys bring some stupid take from people on the internet I start to believe they are indeed playing dumb for the sake o getting internet buzz. I would probably die without even knowing who David Jaffes was supposed to be, now I know him, maybe this was his plan all along

I mean God of War is pretty big (even now) as was Twisted Metal back in the day. Granted this was a extremely bad take and silly since he even said he hasn't even played the games properly before. And that he's also terrible at playing them - from watching the video lol.

Not sure why people are getting worked up over the mans opinions over a video game. Getting on a personal level, trying to discredit the guy is a bit much. Its a game peoples. but yeah Metroids gonna play like Metroid. Its not for everyone, and thats okay. I'm still playing through it and its fantastic.

Last edited by hinch - on 20 October 2021