By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Jaffe's take on Metroid Dread

mZuzek said:
Chrkeller said:

People are entitled to their opinions, but virtually no game is actually a 3/10. That is Superman 64 level of crap, which clearly most games are not.

If a game that bad is worth 3 out of 10, what are 1 and 2 there for?

For games that don't work. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:
mZuzek said:

WWE2k20

Cyberpunk 2077 on launch

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

God of War is my favourite franchise and I thank him for starting it but I absolutely can't stand David Jaffe, he hasn't been involved in anything decent for at least 14 years. His last game Drawn to Death was so bad it destroyed his studio and scared him away from game development. He's now a bitter old man still riding off the success he had in 2005 to stay relevant whilst thinking it makes his often infantile or baseless critiques seem justified, he's washed up and deserves no attention.

mZuzek said:
Metallox said:

Leynos said:

WWE2k20
Cyberpunk 2077 on launch

Can't say I agree with this notion at all. I haven't played this WWE game but I did play Cyberpunk at launch and while it was certainly glitchy, it was still a far more enjoyable and worthwhile experience than Superman 64 could ever be. I mean, honestly it wasn't even too much glitchier than Skyrim at launch, yet it got all the hate. But anyways. The game has a lot of merits, the soundtrack is good, the story is interesting and told in an immersive and awesome way, it looks absolutely stunning, it has fun (even if generic) gameplay mechanics and combat, it's an impressively built open world and has some fantastic worldbuilding. Rating it any less than a 4 is simply ridiculous for the quality it has, unless you were reviewing specifically the PS4/XBO versions at launch.

If any game can get a 3/10 just for "working" properly, the scoring system is just flawed. Scores are too high across the board anyways, because people give too much value to a game's basic functionality and aren't nearly critical enough of a game's actual identity. So if a game is technically acceptable, that on its own guarantees it a 5/10 at least? It's just... ugh. Not a fan.

For me, 3/10 means bad. Not terrible, just bad. Like, that's the highest 'bad' score, whereas a 4/10 is already closer to 'average'. At least that's how it should be, numerically, it's just what makes sense if your scale goes from 1 to 10. A game like Superman 64, which has absolutely nothing enjoyable or interesting or creative or worthwhile in any way, should never score higher than a 1.

Edit: I mean, really, what's the point of having all those numbers down at the bottom of the scale otherwise? Is it that important to make a distinction between "absolutely terrible" and "slightly more terrible"? I ask what the 1 and 2 are for, you say it's for games that don't work... well even with that notion, why even have two different scores for the same thing? It really makes no sense. I think there should be more distinction between works that are "high" or "higher" quality, yet in gaming we just get showered with 8's and 9's everywhere as long as a game is... fine. And there goes all critical discerning right out the window. Good scores should start at 6, not 8.

This is why you don't grant scores to things. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

mZuzek said:

Can't say I agree with this notion at all. I haven't played this WWE game but I did play Cyberpunk at launch and while it was certainly glitchy, it was still a far more enjoyable and worthwhile experience than Superman 64 could ever be. I mean, honestly it wasn't even too much glitchier than Skyrim at launch, yet it got all the hate. But anyways. The game has a lot of merits, the soundtrack is good, the story is interesting and told in an immersive and awesome way, it looks absolutely stunning, it has fun (even if generic) gameplay mechanics and combat, it's an impressively built open world and has some fantastic worldbuilding. Rating it any less than a 4 is simply ridiculous for the quality it has, unless you were reviewing specifically the PS4/XBO versions at launch.

If any game can get a 3/10 just for "working" properly, the scoring system is just flawed. Scores are too high across the board anyways, because people give too much value to a game's basic functionality and aren't nearly critical enough of a game's actual identity. So if a game is technically acceptable, that on its own guarantees it a 5/10 at least? It's just... ugh. Not a fan.

For me, 3/10 means bad. Not terrible, just bad. Like, that's the highest 'bad' score, whereas a 4/10 is already closer to 'average'. At least that's how it should be, numerically, it's just what makes sense if your scale goes from 1 to 10. A game like Superman 64, which has absolutely nothing enjoyable or interesting or creative or worthwhile in any way, should never score higher than a 1.

Edit: I mean, really, what's the point of having all those numbers down at the bottom of the scale otherwise? Is it that important to make a distinction between "absolutely terrible" and "slightly more terrible"? I ask what the 1 and 2 are for, you say it's for games that don't work... well even with that notion, why even have two different scores for the same thing? It really makes no sense. I think there should be more distinction between works that are "high" or "higher" quality, yet in gaming we just get showered with 8's and 9's everywhere as long as a game is... fine. And there goes all critical discerning right out the window. Good scores should start at 6, not 8.

I think I lowkey agree with you people think anything that runs deserve to get a 5, that's why the scores are so high. In most industries, a movie can score mid 50 and being "mixed", while in gaming mixed review is closer to 70. A very bad movie probably would score something under 30, but a very bad game would hardly score anything lower than 50

Bad would be something from 4 to 5 to me, but I can't remember many games that I've scored lower than a 4. That's because to get a 3 the game must be so annoying that I would probably dropped it before thinking I could fairly score it. Recently I tried Subject 13, I dropped it after 40 to 50 because the controls made no sense and the screen doesn't give you clues of how to progress on it. That's a exemple of a game I would score 2 or 3, if I have the patience to push myself for some hours

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
mZuzek said:

I think I lowkey agree with you people think anything that runs deserve to get a 5, that's why the scores are so high. In most industries, a movie can score mid 50 and being "mixed", while in gaming mixed review is closer to 70. A very bad movie probably would score something under 30, but a very bad game would hardly score anything lower than 50

Bad would be something from 4 to 5 to me, but I can't remember many games that I've scored lower than a 4. That's because to get a 3 the game must be so annoying that I would probably dropped it before thinking I could fairly score it. Recently I tried Subject 13, I dropped it after 40 to 50 because the controls made no sense and the screen doesn't give you clues of how to progress on it. That's a exemple of a game I would score 2 or 3, if I have the patience to push myself for some hour

Maybe I'll get handed my ass to me for saying this, but I think most games that score between 50 and 70 are not that bad, they have their redeeming qualities and there's enough reason to believe some people in the world might appreciate such games. At least I get that impression since I hardly play anything that ends scoring lower than 80 in MC. I don't do it on purpose, I usually just play what I'm familiar with or catches my attention. 

But yeah, I feel games that score 7 are still good, 6 games are acceptable or passable, and 5 games are mediocre, which is still not bad, if that makes sense. 

WWE2k20 was full of glitches and game-breaking bugs and so was CP2077. Sony pulled it.

WWE2K20 crashed consoles for playing the game in 2020.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

mZuzek said:
Chrkeller said:

People are entitled to their opinions, but virtually no game is actually a 3/10. That is Superman 64 level of crap, which clearly most games are not.

ET and other games that are broken.  

Yeah, I don't agree with David Jaffe's take on Metroid Dread's game design at all.