By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the literal heck Nintendo?!?

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

They get that money on spades from the sale of the games and the royalties from the 3rd party games. PC platforms can hold their servers fine enough.

Game profits are a lot harder to get now days than they used to be. Game prices have not gone up alongside inflation. Development costs have skyrocketed as worker wages have increased in the tech era along with the expectation of massive games. The former Sony leader basically stated that each generation doubles in cost for games in a series to make. This isn't the 90's anymore. If they made enough profits off game sales before to maintain servers, they certainly are making less now.

Development costs skyrocket, but almost all gaming companies in the past few years have been doing quite well for themselves. The 90s were a brutal time to be a game dev, with probably over half of games studios ending up closed. 2000s, early 2010s weren't much better with some massive closures like THQ.

Basically what I am saying, since game servers have been a major part of games, most game companies have profited.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

They get that money on spades from the sale of the games and the royalties from the 3rd party games. PC platforms can hold their servers fine enough.

Game profits are a lot harder to get now days than they used to be. Game prices have not gone up alongside inflation. Development costs have skyrocketed as worker wages have increased in the tech era along with the expectation of massive games. The former Sony leader basically stated that each generation doubles in cost for games in a series to make. This isn't the 90's anymore. If they made enough profits off game sales before to maintain servers, they certainly are making less now.

Sony and Nintendo (MS we don't have the clarity of data) have been racking immense profits on the SW and royalties (on Sony case much more than the combined 3 gens prior), and the PSN profit is even bigger. They are really making money of charging ludicrous amount for a penny cost that should already be covered by the money charged on the games since well you need to play the game you buy. I'm even surprised that silly procon in Brazil have sued Sony and MS against locking part of the content on a second charge for the online feature (and they are sueing apple over the charger on iphone).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CaptainExplosion said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony and Nintendo (MS we don't have the clarity of data) have been racking immense profits on the SW and royalties (on Sony case much more than the combined 3 gens prior), and the PSN profit is even bigger. They are really making money of charging ludicrous amount for a penny cost that should already be covered by the money charged on the games since well you need to play the game you buy. I'm even surprised that silly procon in Brazil have sued Sony and MS against locking part of the content on a second charge for the online feature (and they are sueing apple over the charger on iphone).

What do you mean by silly procon?

Procon is a governamental agency in Brazil that stands for consumer rights upholding the consumer rights law in the country. So they are sueing Apple for breaking these rights when selling without the charger because it is needed for the phone to work. Similarly selling the game with multiplayer and charging for the online is quite close (even worse as in the case of online you need to keep paying). And silly because it is a silly agency that isn't that much effective most of the time (and the sueing is also silly since well the customer feedback is quite accepting of the ridiculous Apple's strategy).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Dulfite said:

If they made enough profits off game sales before to maintain servers, they certainly are making less now.

You don't read gaming industry financial reports very often, do you? 

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

• DLC and microtransactions (game prices have absolutely gone up)
  • Digital storefronts that are killing the secondhand market, saving publishers a ton on the costs of getting games in stores, allowing publishers to define their own sales, and giving games a place to always be available so long as the digital storefront remains available
  • Modern computing architectures that allow porting between different platforms to be easier than ever
  • The embrace of indy games by all major platform providers, along with the revival of the mid-tier market thanks to digital storefronts

This idea that profiting from game development is getting harder is nothing but a flimsy justification by major publishers for raising the prices of their games.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Dulfite said:

• DLC and microtransactions (game prices have absolutely gone up)
  • Digital storefronts that are killing the secondhand market, saving publishers a ton on the costs of getting games in stores, allowing publishers to define their own sales, and giving games a place to always be available so long as the digital storefront remains available
  • Modern computing architectures that allow porting between different platforms to be easier than ever
  • The embrace of indy games by all major platform providers, along with the revival of the mid-tier market thanks to digital storefronts

This idea that profiting from game development is getting harder is nothing but a flimsy justification by major publishers for raising the prices of their games.

That's what I see every time a big major complaining about gaming production costs:

Just think how much more popular is gaming now. This community being biased towards console gaming is preventing them to see how much bigger PC and Mobile Gaming has become. Console manufacturers like Sony and Nintendo may be underusing those markets, buy big major studios are undoubtedly spreading their activities towards multiplatforms that includes mobile and PCs

To say devs are making less money now is just ludicrous. But I'm used to see gaming makers spreading pathetic narratives and this community just buys it blindly. I personally never saw a movie director, neither a singer complaining about people buying second hand DVD, CDs or BDs, I surely do see a lot of devs complaints about buying second hand games 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 20 October 2021

CaptainExplosion said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

You don't read gaming industry financial reports very often, do you? 

In other words, Nintendo's just being arrogant and greedy. That's why people have been tweeting #DontPaySwitchOnline.

Nintendo is Nintendo, don't like them don't buy them.  Only way to change a company is by voting with your wallet.  Complaining online, when a corporation is making billions, does absolutely nothing.  

padib said:
CaptainExplosion said:

In other words, Nintendo's just being arrogant and greedy. That's why people have been tweeting #DontPaySwitchOnline.

He's not talking about the expansion, he's talking about Nintendo Online, Xbox live Gold, PSN.

Nothing greedy about those they are providing a service.

What is greedy is making us pay while providing poor service.

You are already paying for the service when you buy the console and then when you buy the game. You may be fine with paying for online, but I`ll hold it is greedy.

I also completely understand Sony justification for rasing the price for PS5 with inflation and increased development cost, plus customers accepting it, but it is still greedy.

How can you say Nintendo needs to charge for online to keep the costs of the server when we just had someone saying he paid over 200 USD to have Smash plus all DLCs. That is obscenelly high (with DLC costing pennies to make compared with their price), and won`t even enter the area of keeping the full price for a whole gen.

padib said:
DonFerrari said:

You are already paying for the service when you buy the console and then when you buy the game. You may be fine with paying for online, but I`ll hold it is greedy.

I also completely understand Sony justification for rasing the price for PS5 with inflation and increased development cost, plus customers accepting it, but it is still greedy.

How can you say Nintendo needs to charge for online to keep the costs of the server when we just had someone saying he paid over 200 USD to have Smash plus all DLCs. That is obscenelly high (with DLC costing pennies to make compared with their price), and won`t even enter the area of keeping the full price for a whole gen.

Because I understand the cost of software development, I own a software business. I pay for what I understand is the cost of the work.

The Smash game with its DLCs has an equivalently obscene amount of content with 89 playable characters and nameless assist trophies, stages, items, pokemon, each with the work required to make them work. So I am glad to pay the money for what I get. But when the online service is trash and games are always staggering, that's when I get upset.

Do you understand me now?

Edit: I spent 200CAD, in USD it's 160USD

You paid 3 times for the game to have content that isn`t really 3 games worthy of it. Or do you think from the base game to the additional chars and extras it costed them twice over the base cost?

padib said:
DonFerrari said:

You paid 3 times for the game to have content that isn`t really 3 games worthy of it. Or do you think from the base game to the additional chars and extras it costed them twice over the base cost?

I probably rounded it up to 200CAD, it was more likely 180CAD all in all, I won't go check my statements. The MSRPs are
60USD for Smash Ultimate
25USD for Fighter Pass Vol 1 containing 5 new fighters and all their related content (spirits, stages, music, etc.)
25USD for Fighter Pass Vol 2 containing another 5 new fighters and their related content

For a total of 110USD

I think it took them 4 years to get everything as it is today after the launch of the game, and with an MSRP of 60USD, at 50USD we get the rest of the content we have a factor of roughly 2. Moreover I accepted that price because it had value to me and I understand the work behind it and I esp. understand that without that setup, I would not be able to enjoy such a complete gaming experience for Smash.

I think it's acceptable.

As for online multiplayer, I also understand that it is a platforms for all games played on Switch and a service that I'm paying for. If you disagree with that setup, then like I said they should charge at the game level rather than at the platform level to recuperate costs.

However whether they charge a premium for online play at the game level or at the platform level, they must offer a working service.

This again is my point from the start.

So you are paying 5USD per char on the DLC and their related content... on the base game you paid 60 USD for like 60 char or 1 per char and the base game/gameplay/etc. So you are paying at least 5x over. That will show you that as usual DLC is a greedy mechanism. You`ll be fine with it and think it is acceptable to your or have value and that doesn`t really change it. Your defense of it is just like all other players used to defend in the past and were criticized by Nintendo fanbase.