By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 41, 2021 - (4th Oct - 10th Oct)

kirby007 said:
Megiddo said:

Imagine if the PS4 version didn't have 80-100% sellthrough whereas the Switch verison has 40-60% sellthrough, making it far easier to find in stock in stores.

https://www.famitsu.com/ranking/game-sales/

does that change anything about the actual amount sold?

Of course it does.

There are only so many physical units that can be purchased. If an item is hard to find at physical stores due to high sell through then it will sell less copies than if it was easier to find at physical stores. That's fairly obvious is it not? 

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
kirby007 said:

does that change anything about the actual amount sold?

Of course it does.

There are only so many physical units that can be purchased. If an item is hard to find at physical stores due to high sell through then it will sell less copies than if it was easier to find at physical stores. That's fairly obvious is it not? 

So because limited supply the actual units sold isnt equal to what is sold this week?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Megiddo said:

Of course it does.

So because limited supply the actual units sold isnt equal to what is sold this week?

I'm having trouble understanding you. My commentary is clearly regarding "why" I think the PS4 version sold what it did in its 2nd week after its initial week had a 80-100% sellthrough. The numbers are factual points of data.  They are stringent. I'm not petitioning for the numbers to be edited which I think is what your asking above. The discussion of this thread is typically discussing the "why" of the numbers, is it not?

Megiddo said:
kirby007 said:

I'm having trouble understanding you. My commentary is clearly regarding "why" I think the PS4 version sold what it did in its 2nd week after its initial week had a 80-100% sellthrough. The numbers are factual points of data.  They are stringent. I'm not petitioning for the numbers to be edited which I think is what your asking above. The discussion of this thread is typically discussing the "why" of the numbers, is it not?

I misunderstood your original post, and read it as imagine what the numbers would have been without supply issue.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I made a thread of Metroid Dread outselling Demon slayer a month back. Was laughed out. Now watch me next week ?

Around the Network

At the end of the day Demon Slayer is a 3D anime fighter, pretty much looking like Naruto storm. It was never going to be somehow break out of that.
If it was an RPG or even Musou there might have been higher expectations.

tbone51 said:

I made a thread of Metroid Dread outselling Demon slayer a month back. Was laughed out. Now watch me next week 👀

I don't remember seeing that thread.  Were you referring to first week or lifetime sales?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
tbone51 said:

I made a thread of Metroid Dread outselling Demon slayer a month back. Was laughed out. Now watch me next week 👀

I don't remember seeing that thread.  Were you referring to first week or lifetime sales?

I thought I made one here too. It was on Resetera. I basically was saying lifetime (ship+digital) but it  was in the Famitsu threads and I made a thread asking everyone what they think would win. It’s a good read I’ll post it here ? 

edit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-will-sell-more-in-japan-demon-slayer-or-metroid-dread-teamdemon-vs-teamalien.487282/

Last edited by tbone51 - on 17 October 2021

padib said:
tbone51 said:

I thought I made one here too. It was on Resetera. I basically was saying lifetime (ship+digital) but it  was in the Famitsu threads and I made a thread asking everyone what they think would win. It’s a good read I’ll post it here 🔜 

edit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-will-sell-more-in-japan-demon-slayer-or-metroid-dread-teamdemon-vs-teamalien.487282/

Did you just cuck us tbone?

Well..... I’m on Installbase right now ? 

Megiddo said:

Demon Slayer spent 5 days in the #1 slot. It's kind of amusing to see that sort of commentary from people who clearly haven't been doing even the bare minimum of position tracking. It will easily surpass Lost Judgment's initial week, lmao.

InkIt said:

Using amazon jp at that, a store that famitsu doesn't even track.

Kimetsu being a very casual ip will do well in physical stores.

The COMG result just came out:

103 points for Demon Slayer 

176 points for Lost Judgement

Even with a best case scenario the game might not surpass 120K first week, Lost Judgement managed 145K

So now with both Amazon.co.jp and COMG confirming the trends we observed with pre-orders/launch perhaps I might end up right. 

In terms of it being a casual IP it might have done well if it was on the Switch, for a long time few casual games have done well on the PS ecosystem especially games that are popular among kids and women, that audience is severally lacking on the PS and few games cater to them. 

Also next time you are tracking Amazon.co.jp keep track of two things does it go out of stock and how long a game remains 1st place after it launches, if it's already declining by Sunday it means sales were front-ended and demand is already pretty much satisfied. Metroid as an example managed to keep it's first place into Tuesday of it's second week, meaning that demand wasn't entirely satisfied and it even went out of stock. It's probable that Dread outsold the PS5 version of Demon Slayer and will easily surpass the lifetime sales of both version when it's all said and done. 

Momotaro was a very casual IP didn't stop it from charting very high on Amazon.co.jp for a very long time after it launched,