By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 41, 2021 - (4th Oct - 10th Oct)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Wyrdness said:

A media create thread on Era went into meltdown because some people got upset at the sales numbers not even joking either as people just started attacking users discussing the sales, a mod who began banning people saying the discussion of sales was toxic but left those doing the attacks was later outed in reddit as someone screenshotted their comment on a discord showing their intent. This lead to people leaving Era to form their own boards.

That's both funny and sad.  I guess I didn't realize just how much of a religion Playstation worship has become.  The data is the data.  A person could love Nintendo, but they had to accept that the Wii U was a total flop.  Now it's obvious that PS5 is not doing well at all in Japan, Playstation fans are going to need to come to a similar realization. 

I guess the saddest part is that a mod chose a side.

Agreed. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 18 October 2021

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't remember seeing that thread.  Were you referring to first week or lifetime sales?

I thought I made one here too. It was on Resetera. I basically was saying lifetime (ship+digital) but it  was in the Famitsu threads and I made a thread asking everyone what they think would win. It’s a good read I’ll post it here 🔜 

edit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-will-sell-more-in-japan-demon-slayer-or-metroid-dread-teamdemon-vs-teamalien.487282/

That's an interesting thread.  I don't have a really good sense of how Demon Slayer will do though (at least on PS4).  It could sell somewhat less than Metroid Dread, or it might blow it away.  It feels like a wildcard.

I am shocked by the number of people who think the PS5 version will outsell Metroid though.  Demon Slayer is a mainstream IP and not really for hardcore gamers.  It's not going to sell well on the PS5.  It will probably be 25% (or less) of lifetime sales of the PS4 version.  The PS4 version though, might do really well.  I wouldn't be shocked to see a hardware bump for PS4 the week Demon Slayer is released.

kirby007 said:
tbone51 said:

Well..... I’m on Installbase right now 🤔 

Can you tell em to hurry with approvinv accounts jfc been waiting like a week

I talked with them, there is like 4 people I think doing the applications and doing a dozen or so a day? There are currently almost 400 members with I think 500+ waiting to get approved o.O

RolStoppable said:
tbone51 said:

Ouch, and this is the reason why we have the forum. Butthurt is it? Nah I think it’s something else, but what can it be I wonder 

Butthurt definitely played a big part in the fallout. The PlayStation community on ResetEra had rallied hard against the Media Create threads and its community because the sales numbers didn't put PS in a favorable light. The trolls got backed up by the mod team under the guise of MC threads being a toxic and unwelcoming place, which then led to heavyhanded moderation of all the wrong people.

Once the dust had settled and the PS community could have it's supposed more welcoming Media Create discussions, it turned out that there's no interest in discussing Japanese sales numbers among the PS community and so sales threads on ResetEra have lower activity levels than on Install Base despite Era having hundreds of times more users than the new upstart. But the mission was accomplished and the PS community on Era can live in its desired bubble that shields it from reality.

Well said

tbone51 said:
kirby007 said:

Can you tell em to hurry with approvinv accounts jfc been waiting like a week

I talked with them, there is like 4 people I think doing the applications and doing a dozen or so a day? There are currently almost 400 members with I think 500+ waiting to get approved o.O

can confirm #984 here

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Hopefully the new upstart can drain resetera a bit. The latter really is one of the most toxic gaming forums out there, which is saying a lot.

tbone51 said:
src said:

A bunch of media create thread resetera users (mainly Nintendo fans from the looks of it) got butthurt that they got moderated with a ban and so left to make their own site. All these forums run on the same platform, Xenforo, they just wrap them up in different skins.

Looking at it right now, they have 40 members online......dead before it even started.

What the videogame sales community needs is a website built by actual software engineers, with database management, queries and automated scraping, collating all sales information in an accessible and easy to maintain way. Unfortunately this gets harder as time goes on, as more data is lost in random forum posts.

Ouch, and this is the reason why we have the forum. Butthurt is it? Nah I think it’s something else, but what can it be I wonder 

Yes it is. The OP got a one day ban and couldn't handle it (lmao). Apparently the MC thread thought they were above moderation, despite countless infractions and other community members complaining about them (even mods said this).

Whats even funnier is the whole hostility came from Tales of Arise. For weeks before the echochamber was confident that Tales of Arise would flop. In reality, ToA became the fastest selling Takes game of all time. Similar to MHW, this just showed the rest of the forum not to take them seriously.

Have you not read threads outside MC? Everyone dunks on the MC crew.

RolStoppable said:
tbone51 said:

Butthurt definitely played a big part in the fallout. The PlayStation community on ResetEra had rallied hard against the Media Create threads and its community because the sales numbers didn't put PS in a favorable light. The trolls got backed up by the mod team under the guise of MC threads being a toxic and unwelcoming place, which then led to heavyhanded moderation of all the wrong people.

Once the dust had settled and the PS community could have it's supposed more welcoming Media Create discussions, it turned out that there's no interest in discussing Japanese sales numbers among the PS community and so sales threads on ResetEra have lower activity levels than on Install Base despite Era having hundreds of times more users than the new upstart. But the mission was accomplished and the PS community on Era can live in its desired bubble that shields it from reality.

You don't know what you are talking about.

The MC threads, really even during the Neogaf days, were seen as a joke by the rest of the forum as an echochamber of Nintendo delusions. Bringing great threads like WiiU is going to dominate Japan, MHW is going to sell less than MH Tri etc .

MHW was really the breaking point, that showed the entire forum which was dealing with their takes for months, how biased and wrong they were.

Ahh yes, another dozen pages on why Harada is concocting an anti-Nintendo cabal, or why the Nintendo fan thinks every JP game should be on Nintendo. Such riveting discussion. 99% of those threads were useless. There was at best 1% data driven analysis. Really the only use was posting data.

Which is why a collated database that can be queried is far more useful than another MC thread made by the same people who made the prior echochamber

Fun fact they actually did an apology in the end for the moderation, which makes your story invalid once again, stop talking shit

Just took ages because of the mods have the biggest ego i have ever encountered, and seeing as i experienced ssj12 that says enough

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

src said:

Yes it is. The OP got a one day ban and couldn't handle it (lmao).

No more like the moderators behaved disgracefully and so a lot of people wanted nothing to do with the site anymore. If it was just being upset about being banned then 2 moderators wouldn't have had to quit over the incident. When you have moderators calling users "cunts" and "manbabies" and saying that they have a user in mind they are hoping they can ban you know it's a pile of crap.

The moderator that banned him was literally shit-talking him and gloating in discord before the ban. Completely unprofessional and I wouldn't want anything to do with the site either if I was involved in that.

Moderators should not be insulting users and hoping they can hand out bans. It's 100% their fault.

Acceptable mod behaviour: ?

I suggest we make a deal, for each BS story src you deliver, you take a ban but for each normal post we will not mock the shit out of you hell ill even drop the cliff narrative