By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 38, 2021 - (13th Sept - 19th Sept)

src said:

160k physical -> <80k digital

Digital ratio: 33%

12. [NSW] Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon – 6,137 / 85,439
24. [PS4] Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon – 2,564 / 80,042

That is a total of  165,481 physical and 74519 digital  wich is 31.05% of 240,000.

Around the Network
src said:
PotentHerbs said:

The PS5 will absolutely outsell the WiiU in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS5 tracking closer to the PS3 than the PS4.

Tbf PS4 is only what 750k from PS3, and its steep decline at the end is because Sony wanted a quick transition from PS4 to 5, not cutting the price.

Playstation staying at 9-10M per console and 60-70M software sales is great.

I expect the PS5 to sell less than the PS4 in Japan. The PS4 did better than the PS3 everywhere else in the world except Japan. The popular opinion is the PS4 is better than the PS3, but in Japan it wasn't as popular as the PS3. Keep in mind The Wii U did 1/4 of the Wii and the Xbox One did about 1/12 of the Xbox 360. So all home consoles were down from 7th - 8th generation. It's just Japan has been shifting more towards mobile and the Switch. Because of that I doubt the PS5 will surpass 7 million in Japan.

thismeintiel said:
OTBWY said:

Like, all of your argument stands on the PS4 (important to make this clear) still being around. That's all the current support right now stands on. What is going to happen when the PS4 is dropped in 1 or 2 years? You honestly believe studios want to keep losing money with a system that is doing worse that the WiiU in Japan?

Worse than Wii U, huh? So is it your prediction that the PS5 is going to do less than 3.3M in Japan? 

It's hilarious to see people talk about the Wii U being ahead of the PS5 currently, yet conveniently forget that the Wii U was heavily front loaded and completely collapsed later on, while the PS5 is constantly closing the gap and will most likely sell 2.5x-3x more than the Wii U. It is currently outpacing the PS4.

Japan has been moving away from dedicated home console HW for decades, now. There's really no point in acting like the PS5's performance comes as a big shock and PS is in trouble. Even the mighty Wii sold only 12.77M in Japan. Japanese devs are going to continue to support PS because their games are selling. I mean even if you wish to pretend the digital ratio is lower than everywhere else in the world and Japanese people are just buying PS5s for them as art pieces, those games are selling elsewhere in the world.

My guy, the software sales for PS5 in Japan are terrible. Don't know what else to tell you.

Also @src Zhuge said that there is good indication of that 1 million PS5s sold in Japan, actually many are being shipped overseas. 

Last edited by OTBWY - on 24 September 2021

OTBWY said:
thismeintiel said:

Worse than Wii U, huh? So is it your prediction that the PS5 is going to do less than 3.3M in Japan? 

It's hilarious to see people talk about the Wii U being ahead of the PS5 currently, yet conveniently forget that the Wii U was heavily front loaded and completely collapsed later on, while the PS5 is constantly closing the gap and will most likely sell 2.5x-3x more than the Wii U. It is currently outpacing the PS4.

Japan has been moving away from dedicated home console HW for decades, now. There's really no point in acting like the PS5's performance comes as a big shock and PS is in trouble. Even the mighty Wii sold only 12.77M in Japan. Japanese devs are going to continue to support PS because their games are selling. I mean even if you wish to pretend the digital ratio is lower than everywhere else in the world and Japanese people are just buying PS5s for them as art pieces, those games are selling elsewhere in the world.

My guy, the software sales for PS5 in Japan are terrible. Don't know what else to tell you.

Also @src Zhuge said that there is good indication of that 1 million PS5s sold in Japan, actually many are being shipped overseas. 

Both of you are correct. Software sales for PS5 is Japan are terrible. Japanese games are selling well on Playstation globally. Those are not mutually exclusive statements and both of those statements actually describe well enough what is going in terms of domestic and global software sales for Japanese games on Playstation. So the developers that focus on Japan, something like the Minna no Golf developers who have already dropped their exclusive PlayStation releases, are not going to stay. What needs to be understood though, is that those developers made up an bafflingly low percentage of software sold on Playstation anyway, be it in Japan or globally. Sony is at no risk of losing any Japanese developer that would have any large impact to their current strategy.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 24 September 2021

Chicho said:
src said:

160k physical -> <80k digital

Digital ratio: 33%

That is a total of  165,481 physical and 74519 digital  wich is 31.05% of 240,000.

@Chicho @src 
Wouldnt digital be a bit less considering that 240k likely includes any copies sitting in the store shelves?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

My guess is 40% on the Switch due to the game getting sold out at launch and 20% on the PS4 which didn't have such shortages - yet again proves my point about digital in Japan :)

OTBWY said:
thismeintiel said:

Zhuge doesn't have digital data either. He probably came to that conclusion by only looking at physical.

brute said:
Chicho said:

@Chicho @src 
Wouldnt digital be a bit less considering that 240k likely includes any copies sitting in the store shelves?

I put the < sign. Not much less, since the sell through on both versions seems to be good.

src said:

Tbf PS4 is only what 750k from PS3, and its steep decline at the end is because Sony wanted a quick transition from PS4 to 5, not cutting the price.

Playstation staying at 9-10M per console and 60-70M software sales is great.

I actually expect a longer generation & Sony being a lot more aggressive with price cuts. That could be enough to give the PS5 the edge to outsell the PS3 + PS4 lifetime in Japan.

noshten said:

My guess is 40% on the Switch due to the game getting sold out at launch and 20% on the PS4 which didn't have such shortages - yet again proves my point about digital in Japan :)

Based on Sony's financial reports, I'd be surprised if the Switch version had a bigger digital cut than the PS4 version, even in Japan. 

Edit: If this article is accurate, Sony is comfortably ahead of Nintendo in digital sales, especially if we compare software splits in the same period. 

Nintendo Is Selling More Digitally Than Physically For The First Time Ever (thegamer.com)

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 24 September 2021

Ps5 is not getting near PS4/ps3. It’ll be closer to vita. Software sales are horrendous there with 500k physical but that’s because the real install base is anywhere between 400k-700k.

Digital thinking it’s high is based off of nothing.