By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 38, 2021 - (13th Sept - 19th Sept)

src said:
curl-6 said:

It's not terrible but I don't know if I'd call it great, not when the market leaders during those generations sold 24-33 million per system, and the Switch is already passed 21 million.

Unless you live in 2000, handhelds and home consoles perform differently.

That didn't help the Vita. PS sales in Japan simply haven't been much good since the PSP.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 September 2021

Around the Network
src said:
PotentHerbs said:

I actually expect a longer generation & Sony being a lot more aggressive with price cuts. That could be enough to give the PS5 the edge to outsell the PS3 + PS4 lifetime in Japan.

Sony is making so much money now that its hard to see tbh. They probably want Playstation to be seen as a luxury/high tech product, which it is.

Consumers are now used to paying $1000 for phones and $200 for earphones so I think price cuts for Playstation maybe a lot rarer.

tbone51 said:

Ps5 is not getting near PS4/ps3. It’ll be closer to vita. Software sales are horrendous there with 500k physical but that’s because the real install base is anywhere between 400k-700k.

Digital thinking it’s high is based off of nothing.

Lmao some people said the same thing for PS4, that it wasn't going to even reach the Vita.

Nope. Whats based of nothing, no evidence, no data, is your the real install base is 400-700k.

curl-6 said:

It's not terrible but I don't know if I'd call it great, not when the market leaders during those generations sold 24-33 million per system, and the Switch is already passed 21 million.

Unless you live in 2000, handhelds and home consoles perform differently.

Kakadu18 said:

The Switch version of Tsukihime was almost completely sold out in the first week and dropped out of the top 30 very quickly. The PS4 version did not. The game topped the eshop for a very long time.

It doesn't matter how the digital ratio for Playstation globally for all games is when we're talking about a specific game with unusual circumstances. They didn't ship enough physical copies because of the game size and the bigger cartridges being expensive.

Without numbers its hard to conclude. Playstation has always had a far bigger digital ration than Nintendo.

OTBWY said:

If you really believe that like, the PS5 has a digital ratio of 80% (which is what you need to justify those 1 million PS5s) you're absolutely living in a different reality. Even with factoring in the all digital PS5 (which is the version selling less) you cannot be serious to think that digital is that much higher than the extremely weak physical software sales.

No one said 80%, try again.

Bold: we have physical numbers and the total number. The rest can be extrapolated from that and the digital ranking. Several Nintendo games last year had ~40% digital in Japan. We know that because Nintendo provides total numbers for the region and famitsu physical. It wouldn't be something highly unusual if it was the case with this game.

Ps5 is selling well for what it is, but if someone thinks that the 1.05mil are mostly from japan consumers (aka not scalped and shipped to China/etc) then I don’t know what to say. It’s been 10months since launch, even a 50/50 digital ratio pits software sales at 1mil.

Comparisons to PS4/WiiU/etc show the difference between them. Ps5 being bought by japan consumers (for their own selves and not shipping/scalping) higher than 700k would shock me. Nothing indicates install base being that high and if it really is, the system is being used for basically decoration.

PS5 will continue to sell in japan, but I think around 2022 maybe Q3/Q4 when WW gets demand settled, ps5 will actually start falling off and then hit what PS4 numbers were doing in its first year or so. 6-7mil is the estimate I give it, but would not be surprised by 5.5mil.

And the whole “PS4” argument is blown out of the water, that was a long time ago, PS4 did better than expected but if you think ps5 gonna reach anywhere near 9.5mil-10mil I dunno what to say

IcaroRibeiro said:

In Japan are ps5 games more expensive than ps4 games like in West? 

If so, maybe they are only buying PS4 versions of games to save some money as the system is fully backwards compatible 

So the Ps4 software will increase, right? or stabilize? But Ps4 software goes down. And Used ps4 software too.

I don’t think the PS5 will have as much success in Japan as the PS4 did. It’s funny enough when the PS4 had all the PR momentum and all the big AA-AAA Japanese titles, yet it barely missed 10 million LTD hardware sales and it got easily trounced by the Switch, which released 3-4 years after the PS4 did. With the Switch being such a juggernaut, why would the narrative be that different for PS5 when it’s software sales, so far, are considered disappointing?

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

In Japan are ps5 games more expensive than ps4 games like in West? 

If so, maybe they are only buying PS4 versions of games to save some money as the system is fully backwards compatible 

So the Ps4 software will increase, right? or stabilize? But Ps4 software goes down. And Used ps4 software too.

If PS5 owners are 100% PS4 owners, which I believe them to be, then yeah, they should be in stability as the userbase isn't growing only changing their machine. It's easy to point what is happening, but it needs to be a multi factor analysis, I'm both lazy and busy to make this myself, but for guys who likes to analyze numbers we need three things:

- Compare if sales decrease in PS4 software are mostly from games released in both Switch and PS4. In West, a third party released in both systems are more likely to sells better in PS4 for performance reasons, in Japan where people don't seem to mind graphics and such it will surely sells better on Switch as it is the preferred system. The decrease in PS4 software is then a byproduct of Switch competition and PS5 being nothing but an oversized PS4 isn't really helping to recover the market

- Compare if software sales for PS4+PS5 software not released on Switch (Tales of Arise, RE Village, etc) is somewhat similar to PS4 sales of the last entries, or at least 85% the same, as digital sales are increasing year after year 

- See the software sales for PS5 games only from series that are popular in Japan. So far the only title in horizon that comes to mind might be... Final Fantasy 16 maybe?

I'm not by any means denying Sony is at crisis in Japan and they are surely being destroyed by Nintendo on weekly basis as numbers are proving, however the assertion PS5 hardware is being sold in Japan only to be resold outside Japan is just crazy. I understand the abysmal numbers of PS5 software sales, but instead of looking for PS5 sales we, just maybe, should start looking for PS4+PS5 software sales to see if people are using their PS5 or not

And of course scalping hardware from Japan to elsewhere is a thing, but it happen with almost every console. Switch was surely far more scalped than PS5 is, because Switch releases across the world was much more spread out, including a very 3 years late release in China

I will need a really good argument for Sony purposefully shipping hardware to Japan only for them to be scalped elsewhere, that's basically bleeding money for nothing

Since we know from the Sunbreak press release that MH Rise has sold over 7.5 million worldwide, (in under 6 months no less) either it has a very high digital ratio in Japan, or it's doing exceptionally well in the West, or both.

Can you post the source that MH Rise has sold over 7.5 million? I completely missed it. O_O Regardless, amazing result on a single platform.

FiveOVER said:

Can you post the source that MH Rise has sold over 7.5 million? I completely missed it. O_O Regardless, amazing result on a single platform.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210924.html

Thanks!!

It was 7 million in May. So it took 4 months to sell an additional half a million. MH Rise might just leg it out to 8.5 million on switch alone. Unless Capcom decides to release the base Rise on PC before Sunbreak. That might cut off its legs maybe?

Last edited by FiveOVER - on 26 September 2021