By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kena: Bridge of Spirits reviews piling in + Why Sony?

Will you buy Kena?

Yes—I was always gonna buy it 22 50.00%

Yes—in light of the positive reviews 6 13.64%

Yes—when I can find a PS5 2 4.55%

No—I’m still not interested 13 29.55%

No—because reviews aren’t good enough 1 2.27%

Total:44

Reviews are now piling in on Metacritic, and they’re great! 85% so far after 19 reviews. Obviously the score will evolve as more reviews are submitted on MC.

Metacritic:  https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/kena-bridge-of-spirits?ref=hp

Announce trailer:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxzWlIbnp3U

State of Play trailer:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pWh5388AEHw&vl=en

Release trailer:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZkt4fCkOc

Kena (pronounced Kay-na, for those who care) has been one of my most anticipated games since I saw the initial trailer in 2020. I will be likely buying this tomorrow, now that reviews confirm it’s as good as it looked.

Part 2 of thread:  Why has Sony seemingly sent this game out to die? It was very strangely absent from Sony’s recent PS5 showcase, but I was willing to forgive that, since I figured Sony would give the game a big marketing push leading up to launch. But, there’s been ZERO marketing from what I’ve seen. I actually forgot Kena was releasing tomorrow until I saw Kena articles from IGN and VGC, today. This is super disappointing on Sony’s part. What small developer will want to partner with Sony after seeing this severe lack of support?

High praise from David Jaffe. He also discusses the enigma that is Sony’s complete lack of marketing for Kena. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FAE55LyQIsk

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 21 September 2021

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

Sony should buy them . they would do better under sony guidence and money :)

Agreed! Been thinking this honestly since the moment I saw the announcement trailer. There is something very special about Ember Labs. I feel like they are destined for greatness. 

I only play games with 90+ score so I'm skipping it

Jokes. I will buy it eventually, just not now, I will finish some backlog first

First game out this studios and already one of the great ones of the year. Sony better pick them up now before they gey expensive.

I was always planing on buying this. Now I'm even more exited for it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Based on the game being delayed twice and the embargo lifting on review day I have a feeling the absence is more about the studio wanting to finish the game and not having promotional material ready in time.

I wouldn't be surprised also if their relationship with song isn't so rosy, sony are not behind the physical release of the game which is disappointing. But hopefully now they see they can deliver the goods, they offer the studio a lot more support. And yeah I'm definitely hoping for an acquisition here, give their next games all the budget & time they need.

I see kena actually outselling Returnals in its launch week alone

Around the Network
Otter said:

Based on the game being delayed twice and the embargo lifting on review day I have a feeling the absence is more about the studio wanting to finish the game and not having promotional material ready in time.

I wouldn't be surprised also if their relationship with song isn't so rosy, sony are not behind the physical release of the game which is disappointing. But hopefully now they see they can deliver the goods, they offer the studio a lot more support. And yeah I'm definitely hoping for an acquisition here, give their next games all the budget & time they need.

I see kena actually outselling Returnals in its launch week alone

It does have a broader market. I wouldn't be surprised if it does outsell it. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

This game is one of my most anticipated releases. Looks gorgeous and i'm definitely getting it when i buy a PS5. Glad its reviewing so well.

Last edited by Dahum - on 21 September 2021

pitzy272 said:

Part 2 of thread:  Why has Sony seemingly sent this game out to die? It was very strangely absent from Sony’s recent PS5 showcase, but I was willing to forgive that, since I figured Sony would give the game a big marketing push leading up to launch. But, there’s been ZERO marketing from what I’ve seen. I actually forgot Kena was releasing tomorrow until I saw Kena articles from IGN and VGC, today. This is super disappointing on Sony’s part. What small developer will want to partner with Sony after seeing this severe lack of support?

The devs themselves are worried about spoilers, and duration of the game (short 8-10hours) getting out.
So they themselves, didnt want to hand out review codes or copes of the games to reviewers, until like less than 24 hours before release.

Maybe sony caught on? and doesnt believe this will be as big as they did at first?
Also the devs, where out quick, to point out its just a timed exclusive.

You pay for marketing rights, and time exclusivity, if you as a dev, are quick to come out and yell, "dont worry soon on other platforms"....
it rubs the wrong way.

I think equal parts responsiblity lay on the devs.
If your a small dev, dont make trouble for the platform, and they generally treat you better.
Dont think this tells small devs, not to work with sony.
And again, we dont know the workings behinde the scene. Maybe theres costs for sony to promote things, and devs wherent okay with it?
We dont know what type of deal and the specifics of it they had.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 September 2021

8-10h is perfectly fine, isn't it?

Sony should indeed make more fuzz about it, I too forgot it released now. However, they should not buy the studio. It's way too early for that. Maybe they are a one trick pony.

I just can't take a game seriously with any kind of cutesy cartoon art style. Does one have to take a game seriously? I do. So this is not my thing, but seems like a fine game otherwise and I hope it succeeds well and gives many people enjoyment. Maybe my kid could get into this.