By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kena: Bridge of Spirits reviews piling in + Why Sony?

Will you buy Kena?

Yes—I was always gonna buy it 22 50.00%

Yes—in light of the positive reviews 6 13.64%

Yes—when I can find a PS5 2 4.55%

No—I’m still not interested 13 29.55%

No—because reviews aren’t good enough 1 2.27%

Total:44
the-pi-guy said:
TheTitaniumNub said:

Kena looks weird to me, idk there's something about it. It looks much more like a tech demo than an actual game. At least that's the vibe I get personally. And I'm probably wrong.

What do tech demos look like?

Great visual, and horrified mechanics, and bad flow of the game, I presume. 

Around the Network

Finished the first act and the only real neg (if you can call it that) so far is that some of the bosses are way overtuned. Like I was rage clenching my controller on a couple of them. And I'm thinking, how is this turning into souls game lol

So, personal reviews?

Have physical media on Ps5? 

Interesting.

Metacritic is sitting at 82 and User reviews are at 9.1.

Let me be clear, this game is NOT a 9.1. I think a fair score for this would be a 70+ rating.

Its completely confusing to be how Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart has scores in the same ballpark as Kena and on user reviews its actually lower (WTF).

I guess it gets a pass on many elements because of Price/and Indie studio, but its difficult to factor in those elements in a review.

The main gripe I have with the game is that the core gameplay is bland and derivative. Everything else is quite good and almost up there with the great PS exclusives. Good score, art, animations, decent enough story, interesting world and characters, lovely ambiance etc.

This is probably a studio that will greatly benefit from a bigger company with some funding. It doesn't feel like they quite hit their mark with Kena, but im sure they would if they had a slightly bigger studio.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

the-pi-guy said:

Down to 9.0, and will likely continue to drop.

>The main gripe I have with the game is that the core gameplay is bland and derivative.

I think though, not everyone feels this way.  

Kena Is The PS5's Best PS2 Game

Some people quite love the game, doesn't make them wrong.

Honestly? Stuff like this is why people need to be informed before buying a game. Based on the trailers and the research, this is exactly what I was expecting out of Kena. A rudimentary, simple game with exploration and collect-a-thon elements that had basic combat and puzzle solving all in an absolutely gorgeous world with cute little buddies. The one thing that surprised me in a positive way was the soundtrack, which is honestly the most pleasant surprise of anything all year. I love the soundtrack and I'm glad I got the Digital deluxe edition. 

I think people need to do their research before picking games up, that's how we end up with folks review bombing things because it wasn't what they expected or went in a direction they didn't like (Such as the Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Agente42 said:

So, personal reviews?

Have physical media on Ps5? 

Physical media in November.

Shinobi-san said:

Interesting.

Metacritic is sitting at 82 and User reviews are at 9.1.

Let me be clear, this game is NOT a 9.1. I think a fair score for this would be a 70+ rating.

Its completely confusing to be how Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart has scores in the same ballpark as Kena and on user reviews its actually lower (WTF).

I guess it gets a pass on many elements because of Price/and Indie studio, but its difficult to factor in those elements in a review.

The main gripe I have with the game is that the core gameplay is bland and derivative. Everything else is quite good and almost up there with the great PS exclusives. Good score, art, animations, decent enough story, interesting world and characters, lovely ambiance etc.

This is probably a studio that will greatly benefit from a bigger company with some funding. It doesn't feel like they quite hit their mark with Kena, but im sure they would if they had a slightly bigger studio.

>The main gripe I have with the game is that the core gameplay is bland and derivative.

Well every game will have its fans. Fair enough. I'm just trying to give a more objective view of the game.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Runa216 said:
the-pi-guy said:

Honestly? Stuff like this is why people need to be informed before buying a game. Based on the trailers and the research, this is exactly what I was expecting out of Kena. A rudimentary, simple game with exploration and collect-a-thon elements that had basic combat and puzzle solving all in an absolutely gorgeous world with cute little buddies. The one thing that surprised me in a positive way was the soundtrack, which is honestly the most pleasant surprise of anything all year. I love the soundtrack and I'm glad I got the Digital deluxe edition. 

I think people need to do their research before picking games up, that's how we end up with folks review bombing things because it wasn't what they expected or went in a direction they didn't like (Such as the Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut)

This is a difficult one though, I've been following Kena quite closely in terms of previews etc. It wasn't exactly 100% clear what the limitations of gameplay would be based on the previews and walkthroughs etc.

It turned out rather limiting. I guess you would have had to wait for reviews for that. 

Look its a good game, just not as good as others are making it out to be. 

Shinobi-san said:
Runa216 said:

This is a difficult one though, I've been following Kena quite closely in terms of previews etc. It wasn't exactly 100% clear what the limitations of gameplay would be based on the previews and walkthroughs etc.

It turned out rather limiting. I guess you would have had to wait for reviews for that. 

Look its a good game, just not as good as others are making it out to be. 

Quite a few reviewers says its plays like a PS2 game platform/adventure game. Which it does in some ways and is not necessarily a bad thing. Think along the lines of Kameo with modern mechanics and tighter controls and some metroidvania elements thrown in there. The main negs from the critics is that the gameplay being too derivative. Which is frankly dumb as most games are derivative of one another.

But the main thing being is that the game is fun, with great music and quite large levels to explore. With the first and last being good for those into old school action/platforming games.

Personally I've had almost as much enjoyment in Kena than Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart with the difficulty spikes taking it down a notch. The best thing if you're interested in a game is to try the game for yourself and go from there, else move onto something else. Can't really judge a game off other peoples opinions than your own.

I like kena. Battles remind me of dark souls with the parry system. Exploration is zelda like. Really good game. I solid 8/10, imho. For $40 a good deal.

Only real complaint is the camera with is basically trash, lock on in particular is meh.  I also feel like the controls aren't as responsive as they should be.  When using rot during boss fights sometimes I die because of the delay.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 28 September 2021

Chrkeller said:

I like kena. Battles remind me of dark souls with the parry system. Exploration is zelda like. Really good game. I solid 8/10, imho. For $40 a good deal.

Only real complaint is the camera with is basically trash, lock on in particular is meh.  I also feel like the controls aren't as responsive as they should be.  When using rot during boss fights sometimes I die because of the delay.

Not sure where you are playing on but on PC there was a patch to increase camera movement speed/s. Didn't really have an issue elsewhere in terms of controls apart from Kena randomly stopping when you hit a certain dead zone and the awkward way of controlling the rots in their true form.

The one thing they could have increased the timing of bosses moves, at its hard to see some of the moves and they don't really telegraph particular moves it as such. There are big lunges with massive rages that yeet you and chunk you. Hard. Like the

Spoiler!
Corrupt Taro boss. Where the timing for the final phases where its charging and unblockable moves leaves so little room for error dodging its silly.