By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One; was it a successful console?

Would you say it was a success?

Yes 40 38.46%

No 64 61.54%

Total:104

Learning from mistakes with a failure is not the same as a success.

Its quite clear to me that Xbox One was a catastrophic failure. The 360 has legendary status in terms of consoles. MS was setting themselves up for complete market domination, and back then market domination meant raw console sales figures - which leads to higher attach ratios and subscription services. For the most part, even up to today, success is still defined quite largely by the sales figures of the console. How was it not a failure.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

I just don't see how you can say that. Most of those games were just normal evolution of those series'.  Some of them, such as Mario Maker and Smash, are basically standard sequels that just build on the previous title.  In some cases, they're not really even advancements. They're just more.  

I think you are really stretching here.  

I don't think it's stretch at all. Mario Maker 2 features a much more fully fledged campaign component and more content than its predecessor, and Smash Ultimate brings back every character from every game in the series as well as being the biggest crossover event in gaming history.

Both examples you put just proved his point. Both games are the same as previous entrys with a little more added. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think it's stretch at all. Mario Maker 2 features a much more fully fledged campaign component and more content than its predecessor, and Smash Ultimate brings back every character from every game in the series as well as being the biggest crossover event in gaming history.

Both examples you put just proved his point. Both games are the same as previous entrys with a little more added. 

I think thats an industywide issue, latest point being FC6 but then again beats fucking remakes

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
eva01beserk said:

I think thats an industywide issue, latest point being FC6 but then again beats fucking remakes

Thats true. But some have made some effort to give their franchise new life. And a good example of that would be Zelda. It changed quite a bit and gave it a new feel while keepimg to its roots. That would have been a better example I would say. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

halil23 said:
Manlytears said:

no, X1 is a failure, not "Wii U" failure, but a failure.
Imean, even MS kind of admitted that fact:
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/446232/phil-spencer-microsoft-nearly-gave-up-on-xbox-after-xbox-one-launch/

Wish m$ did give up! PlayStation and Nintendo is perfectly for the gaming industry as it is. Having an inferior PlayStation in every way is pointless and a total waste!

@ OP, xblox is a failure from a business/real consumers point of view.

I genuinely don't believe the industry is better with developers being more beholden to Sony and Nintendo. MS serves as a direct competitor with with Sony in particular, therefore it encourages Sony to try harder, produce better products, better pricing, etc. If you think Sony would do all of that without a serious console competitor, well you must just assume the best of Sony.

MS has also poured a fortune into the industry to create more content. Whether it be exclusive console games, PC games, or timed exclusives that eventually went to competing platforms. So I fail to see how the industry would be better without MS.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:

Its quite clear to me that Xbox One was a catastrophic failure. The 360 has legendary status in terms of consoles. MS was setting themselves up for complete market domination, and back then market domination meant raw console sales figures - which leads to higher attach ratios and subscription services. For the most part, even up to today, success is still defined quite largely by the sales figures of the console. How was it not a failure.

If the Xbox One made a profit and still maintained a significant chunk of their following, while also getting people hyped about the Series S/X, then "catastrophic failure" might be hyperbole.

"MS was setting themselves up for complete market domination." This comment can be seen as either delusional or ignorant. MS was not going to dominate the market, Sony was still very popular but chased people away with PS3. Meanwhile Wii was the market leader during the same period.

Even if MS did everything right with Xbox One (avoided obvious mistakes), they had little chance of stopping Sony from leading. At best the market share disparity would just be smaller.

If MS threw in the towel after a few years of Xbox One failing, then I could see the platform as a true failure. But instead they seemingly made a profit, made Gamepass a great success and found a respectable marketshare for a viable platform. If it was the failure you're suggesting, then I don't understand why MS investing so much in the brand.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

halil23 said:
Manlytears said:

no, X1 is a failure, not "Wii U" failure, but a failure.
Imean, even MS kind of admitted that fact:
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/446232/phil-spencer-microsoft-nearly-gave-up-on-xbox-after-xbox-one-launch/

Wish m$ did give up! PlayStation and Nintendo is perfectly for the gaming industry as it is. Having an inferior PlayStation in every way is pointless and a total waste!

@ OP, xblox is a failure from a business/real consumers point of view.

I disagree with you! A world without xbox is probably a world where Playstation has a much larger number of "anti consumer actions" and inferior services!
Competition is good for us consumers and enriches the industry. At the very least, PS+ wouldn't offer free games, services would be much less advanced and of lesser quality, game production and number of studios would be much smaller, innovation in trying new things would decrease, in short... Playstation would be almost as bad as Nintendo.

eva01beserk said:
curl-6 said:

They're actually his examples. I gave many more, he singled those out as Maker 2 is probably the least ambitious out of the ones I listed. But it's still more so than the first game as considerably more has gone into it, meanwhile Smash Ultimate as the biggest crossover event in gaming history is certainly not just "a little more added" compared to Smash 4.

But this has veered way off topic at this point.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 October 2021

Mr Puggsly said:
Shinobi-san said:

If the Xbox One made a profit and still maintained a significant chunk of their following, while also getting people hyped about the Series S/X, then "catastrophic failure" might be hyperbole.

"MS was setting themselves up for complete market domination." This comment can be seen as either delusional or ignorant. MS was not going to dominate the market, Sony was still very popular but chased people away with PS3. Meanwhile Wii was the market leader during the same period.

Even if MS did everything right with Xbox One (avoided obvious mistakes), they had little chance of stopping Sony from leading. At best the market share disparity would just be smaller.

If MS threw in the towel after a few years of Xbox One failing, then I could see the platform as a true failure. But instead they seemingly made a profit, made Gamepass a great success and found a respectable marketshare for a viable platform. If it was the failure you're suggesting, then I don't understand why MS investing so much in the brand.

The XB brand has been pocket change to MS so far, so throwing in the towel is/was pretty unlikely. XB clearly is there for a reason, whatever the reasons exactly, and means enough to keep around, even if it's not making tons of money, if not losing it. I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes, to MS, XB has always been seen as worthy considering it's kept SNY from potentially entering into other markets that are far more important to MS. Spending measly billions here, to continue easily making tens of billions elsewhere, would certainly make all of their consoles a success in that sense.

EricHiggin said:

The XB brand has been pocket change to MS so far, so throwing in the towel is/was pretty unlikely. XB clearly is there for a reason, whatever the reasons exactly, and means enough to keep around, even if it's not making tons of money, if not losing it. I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes, to MS, XB has always been seen as worthy considering it's kept SNY from potentially entering into other markets that are far more important to MS. Spending measly billions here, to continue easily making tens of billions elsewhere, would certainly make all of their consoles a success in that sense.

A lot of companies have tried to enter the video game market with mixed results. I assume MS sees value in what they've accomplished. The billions they've spent buying studios is something I never anticipated either. Therefore I don't think Sony entering other markets is really a concern per se, its an industry major companies want to be relevant in and MS has a legacy there between old PC games and entering the console market 20 years ago.

Recently Completed