By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite God of War game?

What's your favorite God of War game?

God of War (2005) 58 9.29%

God of War II 83 13.30%

God of War III 121 19.39%

God of War: Ascension 13 2.08%

God of War (2018) 317 50.80%

God of War: Chains of Olympus 19 3.04%

God of War: Ghost of Sparta 13 2.08%

Total:624

2018 hands down. I enjoyed the older games well enough and they were impressive in their own time, but they were pretty shallow action games compared to the complete reworking with deep story and characterization that they did later.
From Ragnarök I'm expecting just a continuation of the story at the same level of quality. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Around the Network

Only played 1-3 but I was surprised by how mediocre the first game is. Couldn't even finish it.
Second game was far superior but overall the 3rd game is the best IMO.

My expectations for 5 is to really be the last focused in Norse/German Mythology because I don't find it interesting nor visually pleasing. They can find something better to do in 6 I hope 

Rafie said:

My favorite GoW is definitely the 2018 version. I didn't think I would like it at first because they changed the formula. Seeing as I love the hack n' slash genre and love greek mythology, this series was up my alley. GoW3 was my favorite up until the recent one.

With the upcoming game, I expect more or less the same as the last game. Great gameplay and a fantastic conclusion to end the Norse chapter of the series.

This is my exact feeling as well.

archbrix said:

Both the original and its sequel are still my favorites. GOW2 in particular had excellent level design, so I voted for that.

I fully expect to be in the vast minority here but I really didn't like GOW 2018. I realize that the series needed some kind of reboot at this point but I was not a fan of the direction that it took. It did have its moments to be sure, particularly some of the boss fights, but I found the controls clunky and Atreus annoying (although, considering I don't like kids, I didn't totally hate him). It felt like a chore to finish and I much preferred the hack and slash gameplay of the past.

Regarding Ragnarok, I don't have much hope for it impressing me personally since it looks just like 2018. Even the visuals don't seem to be in the league of something like Ratchet or the new Horizon, but granted, I need to see it in person first. Definitely didn't make me "lose my fucking mind", that's for sure.

My thoughts exactly. I had to force myself to play and finish Dad of Boy, it felt so restrictive (no jumping? no real platforming? in a god of war game?) and repetitive - travel though the same corridors in different colors and fight the same monsters, again in different colors. 'Climb' a cliff by pressing X now and then. Meet the same two dwarves after every corner. I guess they tried to repeat the success of RE4 merchant? What a failure. And then there's the million of bracelets and amulets and whatnot, at some point I started ignoring them. The story makes no sense. Why do I have to care about some nordic god who looks like a dude from Vikings who can't feel anything? What's it to do with Kratos? Most people dislike the Boy but he was the least of my problems with this game, I was ignoring him. It baffles my mind why this game is almost universally loved.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I enjoyed the original trilogy massively, particularly 1 and 3. I will give it to 3 due to being technically superior. One of the few games with perfect balance, I feel.

Haven't played 2018 due to knowing that I wouldn't like it. Everything I have seen from the game has convinced me. I will play it if I get it for free though.

I hope Ragnarok takes some major risks, but it looks more of the same.

2018 by far.

Adding depth to Kratos did a whole lot to revitalize the series. I went from being uninterested in the remake to being extremely hyped for the sequel. I hope Ragnarok refines combat, combos and weapons, that it has more enemy & boss variety, with each realm feeling unique and ultimately adding to the lore. Everything else I want would need to leverage the SSD + CPU lol.

Previews God of Wars were great fun similar to a summer action blockbuster.

The new GoW was the big summer Oscar film. It raised every aspect from the original game and set a new bar.

My top 3 gaming experiences to date were Zelda OoT, Zelda LttP and Shenmue. GoW has now joined that list.

My expectations are pretty tame. Upgrade in visuals, tired up the story with the same quality of dialogue and direction as the first. Better boss fights, more puzzles, more bonus content tired into story and lore like how they did the maze and that mountain section, and finally equally well designed side quests that actually add to the game and story.

2018 for sure.

God of War from 2018 =) Strong game with many love to detail and awesome quality :)