By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Nintendo will sell 1 billion Switch Systems

Okay i mean that could happen if they keep it on the market for 3 generations maybe. I do like this idea and the reasoning behind it. I do feel like Switch will become the best selling system no matter what. Just a matter of how much it will sell. Momentum is slowly dipping rn but that's because they announced a new model months ago and still with no cut in the hardware pricetag nor for the games. And with a "slowly losing momentum" year, we are talking a still 28-30 millions potential year if the OLED is successful enough.

2022 is packed with games and will be the best year for software yet i think. And it will be already passed the century mark with no major price cut and a maybe pro model to release. They can def sell more than 55-58 millions with all these cards still in play.

Around the Network

I gave you a chance by reading the entire original post. The political predictions seem very out there, so that's strike one.
Strike 2 is that you assume Switch will be on the market for a long, long time. Not happening, at all. Even if we didn't get Switch 2 until 2026-2028, the Switch won't keep huge momentum until then and after its successor launches. Let's entertain that Nintendo waits until 2037 or so for a true Switch successor with only a mid-gen upgrade or two before then (kind of similar to upgrading PCs or phones). Those iterative upgrades will not provide enough interest over so long. And why not make a full-fledged successor if you're going to amp the power by large amounts multiple times in a product's life?
The most optimistic Switch prediction that can't be dismissed as radical in my mind is anything around 165-185 million. 200 millions probably isn't happening, and anything above that is extremely unlikely.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I gave you a chance by reading the entire original post. The political predictions seem very out there, so that's strike one.
Strike 2 is that you assume Switch will be on the market for a long, long time. Not happening, at all. Even if we didn't get Switch 2 until 2026-2028, the Switch won't keep huge momentum until then and after its successor launches. Let's entertain that Nintendo waits until 2037 or so for a true Switch successor with only a mid-gen upgrade or two before then (kind of similar to upgrading PCs or phones). Those iterative upgrades will not provide enough interest over so long. And why not make a full-fledged successor if you're going to amp the power by large amounts multiple times in a product's life?
The most optimistic Switch prediction that can't be dismissed as radical in my mind is anything around 165-185 million. 200 millions probably isn't happening, and anything above that is extremely unlikely.

Do you do sarcasm? Read the OP in a not-so-serious way.

It would mean pretty much around half of all households worldwide would own a Switch since the average household has around 3 people living in it and 1 billion times 3 is 3 billion, which is nearly half the world population. Considering the fact that even in the year 2021 40% of households worldwide still have no access to internet, why in the world would those people prioritize getting a 300$ game console over basic needs like food & internet, which still plenty of people worldwide are still struggling to fulfill those needs. Pretty wild prediction tbh

This is wild. This does really read like someone smoked to much of a certain substance.

Around the Network

And then the sales will fall of a cliff!

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Planning to provide a monthly series of charts to show the progress towards your geopolitical predictions?