By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Director's Cut' Should Be The Next Step In The Evolution Of Remastered Releases/Port

Director’s cut versions are the new Game of the Year (GOTY)/Complete/Deluxe versions with a few enhancements.

Don’t know why people are “disgusted” or complaining, it’s been happening for a long time.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

I disagree, I think it's disgusting that they re-release old games with new content that isn't available on the original version. Either you're permanently left with the incomplete version or you're forced to pay twice just to get the full game.

I agree with games that have day one DLC, or DLC just a couple weeks after launch.

But to release an edition with extra content *2 years* later like death stranding? Clearly the full game was released in 2019 and it was worth what people were willing to pay. 

Edit: And even in the case of GoT it's over a year after launch.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Leynos said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Can you? This thread may be inspired by Ghost of Tsushima, but it's talking about the practice generally. Dragon Quest 11 definitely didn't have an upgrade option, if you wanted the new stuff you had to pay full price for a 2nd time.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if you could upgrade for a small fee, but there are plenty of examples where that wasn't the case.

TBF on DQXI. The game was rebuilt and essentially remade for Switch Hardware on a different version of UE4. Switch did not support the older version of UE4. The new content was incompatible with the older versions. Rather than scaled down like many UE ports. The S version of the game was built for Switch.

Which is weird cause the game was announced on the Nintendo NX in 2016, it's like they didn't know the hardware back then

Paatar said:
brute said:

Remasters and ports have become more frequent than ever in the past few years. It's a way for companies to make a quick buck and they are popular among fans as can be seen by the sales of certain games.

However (and this may also just be wishful thinking) I believe companies should do what Sony did with Ghost of Tsushima add new content to the remaster, vs just a resolution update or small quality of life improvements. This should be the next step for future remasters and ports. Additions like this will attract positive press and reviews and should increase interest in the release. The extra sales will make up for the extra effort. Plus, they'll have a valid excuse to charge full or near full price for the rerelease.

Most remasters include the DLC (if the game previously had any) but I dont recall any other remasters or ports outside of Ghost of Tsushima to add new content to its release. At least note since RE4 for PS2!

There's a lot of games in the industry--it's impossible to keep track of every single game. But the first one that comes to mind is Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. They added a new story called Future Connected that they didn't charge for. It was included in the remaster. 

Xenoblade is actually a remake, the new character models and Future connected is a way for the game to appear more like a prequel to Xenoblade 2 

brute said:

Remasters and ports have become more frequent than ever in the past few years. It's a way for companies to make a quick buck and they are popular among fans as can be seen by the sales of certain games.

However (and this may also just be wishful thinking) I believe companies should do what Sony did with Ghost of Tsushima add new content to the remaster, vs just a resolution update or small quality of life improvements. This should be the next step for future remasters and ports. Additions like this will attract positive press and reviews and should increase interest in the release. The extra sales will make up for the extra effort. Plus, they'll have a valid excuse to charge full or near full price for the rerelease.

Most remasters include the DLC (if the game previously had any) but I dont recall any other remasters or ports outside of Ghost of Tsushima to add new content to its release. At least note since RE4 for PS2!

This isn't new.  I can think of a few ports that had new content added in the past few years right off the top of my head:

'Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker' heads to Nintendo Switch and 3DS

Nintendo is giving you another chance to play Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker if you completely missed it on the Wii U. The gaming giant is releasing the puzzle game for the Switch and the 3DS -- it's even adding new levels and mechanics to amp it up for the new consoles.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury review – a never-ending fountain of fun

The deal is sweetened by Bowser’s Fury, a short new 3D Mario game that comes bundled with 3D World and feels like a bonus world for the Switch’s native Super Mario Odyssey.

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

Director's cut versions are the new Game of the Year (GOTY)/Complete/Deluxe versions with a few enhancements.

Don't know why people are disgusted or complaining, it's been happening for a long time.

You're right, this is the exact same shit. This should not exist either.

SKMBlake said:
Leynos said:

TBF on DQXI. The game was rebuilt and essentially remade for Switch Hardware on a different version of UE4. Switch did not support the older version of UE4. The new content was incompatible with the older versions. Rather than scaled down like many UE ports. The S version of the game was built for Switch.

Which is weird cause the game was announced on the Nintendo NX in 2016, it's like they didn't know the hardware back then

It also had a hitch in development. Around 2017 or 2018 they said they had to move to a new engine and redo some work. Which caused a delay into 2019. We saw nothing of that version for a long time until close to release.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Absolutely disagree. Director's Cuts shouldn't exist, and remasters should be super cheap. True remakes are acceptable, and are really the only thing of this sort that I want to see more of.

Don't give them more excuses to re-re-release the same games again and again. Remakes, remasters, VR versions, GOTYs, Director's cut... They'll take any excuse to not lower the price, don't give them more.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

SKMBlake said:
Paatar said:

There's a lot of games in the industry--it's impossible to keep track of every single game. But the first one that comes to mind is Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. They added a new story called Future Connected that they didn't charge for. It was included in the remaster. 

Xenoblade is actually a remake, the new character models and Future connected is a way for the game to appear more like a prequel to Xenoblade 2 

A remake is built from the ground up new, updating character models does not change the description of remaster or remake. A good portion of remasters update models, textures, etc. a remake is remaking everything. It’s kinda the whole point of calling it a “remake”.

As for Future Connected, it doesn’t matter what you consider it’s “purpose” to be, that doesn’t make it invalid when it comes to extra content. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]