By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Director's Cut' Should Be The Next Step In The Evolution Of Remastered Releases/Port

Paatar said:
SKMBlake said:

Xenoblade is actually a remake, the new character models and Future connected is a way for the game to appear more like a prequel to Xenoblade 2 

A remake is built from the ground up new, updating character models does not change the description of remaster or remake. A good portion of remasters update models, textures, etc. a remake is remaking everything. It’s kinda the whole point of calling it a “remake”.

As for Future Connected, it doesn’t matter what you consider it’s “purpose” to be, that doesn’t make it invalid when it comes to extra content. 

It was built from the ground using a new engine

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Paatar said:

A remake is built from the ground up new, updating character models does not change the description of remaster or remake. A good portion of remasters update models, textures, etc. a remake is remaking everything. It’s kinda the whole point of calling it a “remake”.

As for Future Connected, it doesn’t matter what you consider it’s “purpose” to be, that doesn’t make it invalid when it comes to extra content. 

I'll leave this with you https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2020/06/07/monolith-soft-and-nintendo-explain-how-xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-came-to-the-switch/?sh=520972c86210 read it and let me know your thoughts re remake or remaster

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Y'all like to complain about EVERYTHING.

When you buy a VHS, do you demand a free DVD and/or Blu-Ray copy? Nope!
When you buy a book, do you demand the second edition version with the new cover and an added epilogue? Nope!
When you buy a TV, do you immediately go back to the seller to demand this year's model? Nope!
When you buy a Car...okay, sometimes there are very specific options but generally, you don't get this year's model without a special monthly fee.

So why do you all seem to think you're entitled to every version of a game after release? You paid for a product, you got that product. If they change the product for future releases, you're not entitled to it. This is really not as big a deal as you all seem to think. Gamers just like bitching about things and feel entitled to everything.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

mjk45 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I'll leave this with you https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2020/06/07/monolith-soft-and-nintendo-explain-how-xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-came-to-the-switch/?sh=520972c86210 read it and let me know your thoughts re remake or remaster

" we kept finding specifications in the source code that not even the original staff members knew about or had since forgotten."

This is so relatable 

Looks like a remake for me. Use a new engine, new assets for characters models (not only improving the already existing assets, but actually creating new ones), new menus, and have most of the core programming rewritten

mjk45 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is just the old argument if you replace every plank on a boat is it still the same boat. While it is running on a new engine with new models and improved environment geometry and a lot of QOL changes. Yeah animations are the same. The game still feels pretty much the same but they also redid the music.

Nintendo kept the frame but redid everything else. It's a refit. Not a remaster as far too much work was done for that. Not a full on remake as it kept some old code. It's a refit or a remodel.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

For people like me who buy these games the first time around and keep them (as well as the hardware to play them on), the whole re-lease craze/trend has really been a drag. I like new experiences and new games. Also, even if you made them director's cuts, I still wouldn't be interested because I only care about the original version. I suppose that makes me somewhat OCD, but that's how I like to play things: pure. OOT? I play it on an actual N64 via CRT. SMB3? Same deal. Cart, NES console and CRT. So for me, a super HD, director's cut with changed aspect ratios, new scores, characters, voice-over's and whatever... it just isn't the same. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
mjk45 said:

" we kept finding specifications in the source code that not even the original staff members knew about or had since forgotten."

This is so relatable 

Looks like a remake for me. Use a new engine, new assets for characters models (not only improving the already existing assets, but actually creating new ones), new menus, and have most of the core programming rewritten

They at the end called it a remaster and mentioned that the reason they thought xenoblade chronicle gamers would love it was because they drew a line in the sand when it came to changes.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 03 September 2021

Directors Cut are remasters. Just another term for it. GOTY Editions, Definitive Edition, Ultimate Edition etc etc.

Leynos said:
mjk45 said:

This is just the old argument if you replace every plank on a boat is it still the same boat. While it is running on a new engine with new models and improved environment geometry and a lot of QOL changes. Yeah animations are the same. The game still feels pretty much the same but they also redid the music.

Nintendo kept the frame but redid everything else. It's a refit. Not a remaster as far too much work was done for that. Not a full on remake as it kept some old code. It's a refit or a remodel.

It's not rocket science a remake is exactly what the name implies .

Azzanation said:

Directors Cut are remasters. Just another term for it. GOTY Editions, Definitive Edition, Ultimate Edition etc etc.

Not sure I agree, a remaster doesn't have new content a director's cut as we also see in movies has. Zelda Skyward and Mario Kart DX are a prime example of remasters. Whilst Ghost of Tsushima director's cut and Super Mario 3D world are prime examples of Director cuts/Goty/Ultimate editions. Usually the latter has extra content but it's not something new, but it would be nice if every game w company ports for full price would at least have new content also.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar