By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Director's Cut' Should Be The Next Step In The Evolution Of Remastered Releases/Port

Qwark said:
Azzanation said:

Directors Cut are remasters. Just another term for it. GOTY Editions, Definitive Edition, Ultimate Edition etc etc.

Not sure I agree, a remaster doesn't have new content a director's cut as we also see in movies has. Zelda Skyward and Mario Kart DX are a prime example of remasters. Whilst Ghost of Tsushima director's cut and Super Mario 3D world are prime examples of Director cuts/Goty/Ultimate editions. Usually the latter has extra content but it's not something new, but it would be nice if every game w company ports for full price would at least have new content also.

Mario Kart Deluxe does have new content. It has an entirely new battle mode with new maps and new characters added to the game.

There's also a ton of "remasters" with new content or compiled content in a new package. 

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Azzanation said:

Directors Cut are remasters. Just another term for it. GOTY Editions, Definitive Edition, Ultimate Edition etc etc.

Not sure I agree, a remaster doesn't have new content a director's cut as we also see in movies has. Zelda Skyward and Mario Kart DX are a prime example of remasters. Whilst Ghost of Tsushima director's cut and Super Mario 3D world are prime examples of Director cuts/Goty/Ultimate editions. Usually the latter has extra content but it's not something new, but it would be nice if every game w company ports for full price would at least have new content also.

As mentioned in the previous reply. Plenty of Remasters, Definitive Editions and Ultimate Editions can offer new content and enhanced graphics. Directors Cut is just another Buzz word used to help sell a product by sounding different to previous buzz words.

Mandalore76 said:
brute said:

Remasters and ports have become more frequent than ever in the past few years. It's a way for companies to make a quick buck and they are popular among fans as can be seen by the sales of certain games.

However (and this may also just be wishful thinking) I believe companies should do what Sony did with Ghost of Tsushima add new content to the remaster, vs just a resolution update or small quality of life improvements. This should be the next step for future remasters and ports. Additions like this will attract positive press and reviews and should increase interest in the release. The extra sales will make up for the extra effort. Plus, they'll have a valid excuse to charge full or near full price for the rerelease.

Most remasters include the DLC (if the game previously had any) but I dont recall any other remasters or ports outside of Ghost of Tsushima to add new content to its release. At least note since RE4 for PS2!

This isn't new.  I can think of a few ports that had new content added in the past few years right off the top of my head:

'Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker' heads to Nintendo Switch and 3DS

Nintendo is giving you another chance to play Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker if you completely missed it on the Wii U. The gaming giant is releasing the puzzle game for the Switch and the 3DS -- it's even adding new levels and mechanics to amp it up for the new consoles.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury review – a never-ending fountain of fun

The deal is sweetened by Bowser’s Fury, a short new 3D Mario game that comes bundled with 3D World and feels like a bonus world for the Switch’s native Super Mario Odyssey.

Add Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore to that.

The natural evolution is BC with unlocked res/fps.

If they want to resell a game, remake it from scratch or create new DLC to reignite sales.

Last edited by Otter - on 03 September 2021

Paatar said:
SKMBlake said:

Xenoblade is actually a remake, the new character models and Future connected is a way for the game to appear more like a prequel to Xenoblade 2 

A remake is built from the ground up new, updating character models does not change the description of remaster or remake. A good portion of remasters update models, textures, etc. a remake is remaking everything. It’s kinda the whole point of calling it a “remake”.

That's why it's a remake. New engine, new textures, new HUD, new sound, etc.

Why do you think it runs this poorly on the Switch ? If it was a Wii remaster, it would run at 60fps, as all Wii ports.

Around the Network

Yeah, it's like a DLC without "L", but for the full price. Just more reasons to artificially cut down the content to resell it later on. While some of the latest DCs were actually done for a good reason, just wait until EVERY publisher will have a director's alternative vision done, or at least planned, before launch.

brute said:

Remasters and ports have become more frequent than ever in the past few years. It's a way for companies to make a quick buck and they are popular among fans as can be seen by the sales of certain games.

However (and this may also just be wishful thinking) I believe companies should do what Sony did with Ghost of Tsushima add new content to the remaster, vs just a resolution update or small quality of life improvements. This should be the next step for future remasters and ports. Additions like this will attract positive press and reviews and should increase interest in the release. The extra sales will make up for the extra effort. Plus, they'll have a valid excuse to charge full or near full price for the rerelease.

Most remasters include the DLC (if the game previously had any) but I dont recall any other remasters or ports outside of Ghost of Tsushima to add new content to its release. At least note since RE4 for PS2!

Bold: Isn't this pretty much what Nintendo has been doing this whole time? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe offered a revamped online mode, extra characters, new items, etc. Super Mario 3D World had an entirely different game attached to it, Pikmin 3 has story coop and new side missions that were added (I believe).