By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

I can't see a single thing I dislike about Dread so far, it just looks awesome through and through.

gtotheunit91 said:

This game looks better and better with each trailer!! I've never seen Nintendo put so much marketing towards a Metroid game before. I'm hoping Dread will have the BotW effect where it substantially introduced the franchise to a new audience and sales skyrocketed!

Between the Switch Effect, and the amount of promotion and hype it's getting, I think it's a pretty safe bet it will be the highest selling game in series history and reach millions of new customers.

Around the Network

Looks amazing, can't wait to play it

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

I can't see a single thing I dislike about Dread so far, it just looks awesome through and through.

Between the Switch Effect, and the amount of promotion and hype it's getting, I think it's a pretty safe bet it will be the highest selling game in series history and reach millions of new customers.

But there must be something we as fans can do to help just to be safe.

The only thing we can do is be as enthusiastic and vocal about the franchise as we are in this very thread. That and buy the game obviously xD

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

But there must be something we as fans can do to help just to be safe.

Vodacixi pretty much covered it, but there is something we can do; spread the hype, and vote with your wallet by purchasing the game day 1.

heavenmercenary01 said:
Zippy6 said:

I think every game you've listed there looks better visually than this. They might not all be as technically advanced (kirby particularly) but they look polished and combined with their art styles choices create a pleasing looking game. My comment about "looks like it started as a 3ds game" is simply a statement that I don't believe that this game looks like a game built for the Switch from the ground up should look like. It misses the mark for me. Yes it is miles ahead of a 3ds game in terms of models, textures, VFX and everything else, but it is lacking. Materials and shaders particularly are the problem for me. I will have to choose my words more carefully in future, but to me this looks like it could be a remaster not a brand new switch game.

New Horizons is a gorgeous polished art style and visuals so very confused that was one of your examples. But clearly everyone has different tastes.

Nintendo not developing it themselves makes a lot of sense because this doesn't look like it's getting the most out of the Switch at all to me.

Let's clarify things here:

1- That's your opinion and it needs to be respected for sure and personally i can hear your concerns since the environments made me worry at first and felt fade and lacking lightings , but then i understood that artistically that's their choice going for Matte colours and stress enemies with lights (might be a good or a bad choice though).

2- The thing that probably made you think that it started development as a 3DS game is maybe the choice of the engine. Apparently they chose to build the game on the same engine as samus returns which was on 3DS this is why we see some similarities and not a groundbreaking upgrade. But clearly, this game was never meant to be on 3DS since they started developping it after the release of samus returns. The latter launchig quiet late in 3DS's life cycle, it logically couldn't be plausible that they've planned a 3DS launch when starting the development of Dread. So we can go on and say that it has been built from scratch for the switch.

3- No first party game is looking worse than pokémon SW/SH. No first party game will ever look worse than SW/SH, and Dread is far (really far) from being a graphical deception. 

4- I'd like to finish by saying that we're focusing on a passible detail that won't turn people from enjoying the game. You'll get used to graphics in a matter of minutes. you can embrace the artistic direction in minutes also. There are no technical issues , no clipping and no framerate drops with smooth gameplay that's what really matters actually. Gameplay has always been the core of every game over there, and they clearly tryied to do a great job with that.

5- Tastes can't be discussed, if graphics are redhibitoire to you and you see that this game's graphics are lame, then it can't be argued.

Great post.

Around the Network

What is redhibitoire? Is there a new word I'm learning that has always been there but I've just been glossing over?

curl-6 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

That is a generous view of Three Houses because it's the overhead view. That game legit looks just as bad (in some ways worse) as Sword and Shield and just didn't get the flack for it because FE isn't as big of a franchise (even though the 3DS ones look super good for the 3DS, lol)

I completely agree, Three Houses looks frankly atrocious by Switch standards I don't get why it gets such a free pass for it.

We don't care. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

First TV commercial is out:

Here's another one:

https://youtu.be/SXpj_dy0I7E

When Other M was released I was beyond excited. I was so happy to see a return to more the of the 2D elements. The recreation of the final scene from Super Metroid was jaw dropping.

Then the game released, and while I enjoyed much of the gameplay, the story just took all the air out of my sails and I still haven’t gone back to replay the title.

I just hope that for all the fanfare this title is creating that what we get lives up to the Metroid I have loved since ‘87. Everyone watching the trailers seem to indicate that it will, but heading in to Other M I never would have predicted how much I would hate hearing Sami’s say “the baby.”

We’ve got a hit on our hands here (even before it has hit shelves) and I just hope the hype is worthy.