By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

bdbdbd said:

Well, so far what I've seen about Dread, are the problems I had with Other M; auto aim, melee combat. Also, it took roughly 1,5 hours before I ran into anything challenging in Other M, and was quite frankly so bored that I didn't care to try it again after dying the first time.

Basically the only problem with Other M's storytelling was, that I could not skip it. If it can be skipped, bad story may not matter, if the gameplay is fine.

How exactly are you going to know all this with out playing Dread which tbh looks nothing like OM in anyway I'm one of the few who doesn't mind OM despite it's flaws but the two games are worlds apart in approach from what's been shown, OM didn't even have melee combat either it had the dodge mechanic. A lot of the flaws in OM tend to be non mechanical designs like not letting you use abilities because someone says so or the where's wally segments.

Around the Network

In just hoping I can find a Switch OLED on October 8 since my OG Switch sounds like a plane taking off, makes a weird beeping noise, and randomly shuts off due to over heating. I’ve had to get out my WiiU and play some Metroid Prime while I wait.

Yeah I'm not seeing any close similarities with Other M in Dread's gameplay. It's much closer to Super or Fusion, without the awkwardness of D-pad movement in 3D space, the emphasis on dodges, the clumsy jump-on-the-enemy mechanic, having to change your grip on the controller and stand still to use missiles, boring level design, etc.

As someone who disliked Other M, I'm not concerned at all.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 September 2021

CaptainExplosion said:
Vodacixi said:

Wow, Nintendo is REALLY trying this time

Much better than their advertising efforts for other Metroid games in the past decade.

To be honest... Metroid Other M also had a good amount of pushing in its time:

https://youtu.be/12-fbN0uWPo

Vodacixi said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Much better than their advertising efforts for other Metroid games in the past decade.

To be honest... Metroid Other M also had a good amount of pushing in its time:

https://youtu.be/12-fbN0uWPo

Yeah, Other M had some great trailers.

Around the Network

They should do another attempt at third person 3d with out some of the silly decisions that lead to the flaws of OM as third person has extremely high potential, the boss fights like the Nightmare and Ridley battles in OM were actually good and became unforgiving in hard mode where they can kill you in one hit.

Other M effectively killed Metroid for years afterwards as they invested a lot in it only for it to be poorly received. It was actually one of the most ambitious first party games on Wii, just totally misguided in its story and design.

Dread by contrast looks like it will do for the series what Awakening did for Fire Emblem or BOTW did for Zelda and substantially grow the series.

11 days to go!

Nintendo Life played the game for 90-100 minutes, went into it with high expectations and left even more impressed.

Now I just hope I can grab an OLED the day of at GameStop because my overheating Switch won’t last more than an hour.

I watched a few first impressions videos and they are all extremely positive. This is going to be awesome!

Signature goes here!

Can't wait! This is GOTY material.