By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts July 2021 Discussion Thread

I'll be shocked if Xbox Series S/X lands even close to 360 in lifetime sales frankly, unless something drastically changes. It will outsell Xbox One, but the 360 was a monster and had weaker competition.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 652,590 - NS

Total Lead: 1,628,160 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 10,436,928

Switch Total Sales: 8,808,768

July 2021 is the ninth month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 652,590 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 1.63 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 10.44 million units in eighth months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 8.81 million units. Month nine for the PlayStation 5 is July 2021 and for the Nintendo Switch it is November 2017.

The Nintendo Switch did not reach current PlayStation 5 sales until month 10 where it had sold 13.12 million units.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 10 million units sold in month 10, 20 million in month 19, and 30 million in month 23. The Nintendo Switch has sold 89.02 million units through July 2021.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I should add it is all but guaranteed for the Switch to take the lead over the PS5 in next month's update as that is December for the Switch. PS5 needs to sell 2.7 million units in August to stay ahead and that is not happening. PS5 needs to sell about 6 million units from August through December to retake the lead by the end of the year.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison - July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Switch.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

XSX|S Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 1,067,024 - NS

Total Lead: 2,370,388 - NS

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 6,438,380

Switch Total Sales: 8,808,768

July 2021 is the eighth month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Switch when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.07 million units. The Nintendo Switch is currently ahead by 2.37 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 6.44 million units in nine months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 8.81 million units. Month nine for the Xbox Series X|S is July 2021 and for the Nintendo Switch it is November 2017.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 10 million units sold in month 10, 20 million in month 19, and 30 million in month 23. The Nintendo Switch has sold 89.02 million units through July 2021.

If it looks poor for Xbox Series now, wait til we align with Switch's 2020 peak.

That said, Xbox doesn't need to sell as much as Switch to be successful, after Xbone I'd be impressed if it passes 70 million.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If it looks poor for Xbox Series now, wait til we align with Switch's 2020 peak.

That said, Xbox doesn't need to sell as much as Switch to be successful, after Xbone I'd be impressed if it passes 70 million.

Agreed, Xbox will never catch up to Switch worldwide.  A more interesting comparison may be sales in the US between the two.  Not sure if trunks is doing that yet or not.

SW-3707-5131-3911

kenjab said:
curl-6 said:

Agreed, Xbox will never catch up to Switch worldwide.  A more interesting comparison may be sales in the US between the two.  Not sure if trunks is doing that yet or not.

I'm not doing that yet. I'll likely change the WW one to the US at some point in the future. 

kenjab said:
curl-6 said:

Agreed, the US could be an interesting contest.

As I say, my measure for the success of XS is how much growth it can manage over its predecessor. Since 3DS is the next system up in sales from Xbone that we have tracking data for, that's the comparison I'd love to see.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 259,640 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,466,739 - Switch

Total Lead: 11,508,604 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 89,022,722

PS4 Total Sales: 77,514,118

July 2021 is the 53rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 259,640 units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.47 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 11.51 million units.

The 53rd month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is July 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 it is March 2018. The Switch has sold 88.02 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 77.51 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 62 where it sold 91.81 million units.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 116.30 million units through July 2021. The Nintendo Switch is currently 27.28 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

PS3&360 vs PS4&XB1 coming soon ?