By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts July 2021 Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:

It's always been remarkable to me, the hate and denial that Nintendo's success inevitably generates. I mean, I don't much care for most Playstation systems but I can't say I've ever felt the need to go out of my way to bash it, hate on its fans, or constantly forecast wishful prophecies of doom. It must be an unpleasant feeling to feel threatened by a product you don't use and which doesn't materially affect your life in any way.

Yeah, it is funny. I remember the weekly sales threads in 2017 practically always had a few posts, gushing about how the four year old PS4 outsold the brand new Switch. As if we never discussed video game hardware sales on this site and the concept of a peak is totally new to us. How often do people say these days: "Look, how the four year old Switch outsells the brand new PS5!" It seems other fanbases don't feel the need to belttle the success of Playstation as often.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

But... I just read in this thread, that the Switch lead is due to japan mostly...

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Crazy that as recently as late 2019 PS4 was ahead, and now the Switch is leading by over 6 million.
For 32 months they danced the double helix, then Switch ignited its afterburners.

Wii did really well in Europe for a Nintendo system, but as its legs were cut short Switch should still be able to leg it to victory.

If Sony really really wanted to, I think they could push PS4 easily beyond NDS sales. But they dont really have a economical reason to do so.
If everything just keeps on going like currently, then PS4 will not do it.

Around the Network

Yeah it'll depend on how long they keep making the PS4 and how it performs in holiday seasons post-replacement, but at this rate there's not much incentive for Sony to push it hard. If I had to guess I'd say it'll be discontinued 2023 but produced at only a low level from here on out to make more room for PS5.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 September 2021