By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts July 2021 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:

I stopped doing it as PS4 has no chance to top the Wii in the US. It is 6.7m behind lifetime Wii sales. 

Now with the adjustments it may be less, and besides that even if it not reach it it would be interesting to see how close it reaches .. Also why there isn't a way to see the total US sales on the site ? but only for the full North America ?

Around the Network

All systems are gaining and that's with a massive shortage. Imagine when supply is no longer an issue, we could see Switch sales fall off faster than it did for the Wii. We used to call it the cliff, but I prefer the SWiitch!

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS3 Sales Comparison - July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 3 launched in November 2006 in North America and Japan and in March 2007 in Europe. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS3 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 665,651 - PS5

Total Lead: 6,252,962 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales 10,436,928

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 4,183,966

July 2021 is the ninth month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 3 by 665,651 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 6.25 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 10.44 million units in nine months, while the PlayStation 3 sold 4.18 million units. Month nine for the PlayStation 5 is July 2021 and for the PlayStation 4 is July 2007.

The PlayStation 3 did not reach current PlayStation 5 sales until month 16 where it had sold 10.85 million units.

The PlayStation 3 crossed 10 million units sold in month 15, 20 million in month 27, and 30 million in month 38. The PlayStation 3 sold 87.4 million units lifetime.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

DitchPlaya said:

All systems are gaining and that's with a massive shortage. Imagine when supply is no longer an issue, we could see Switch sales fall off faster than it did for the Wii. We used to call it the cliff, but I prefer the SWiitch!

As much as you want it to happen, it won't.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

DS remains awe-inspiring. Even with Switch having wind in its sails this and last year, DS has no problem whatsoever topping it. I guess it's an achievement in itself that Switch actually somewhat keeps up, and is the only system ever that even puts up a fight, but I doubt there will ever be another system that sells (pace) as DS in its prime did. I don't see Switch beating DS's lifetime sales, but it will come down to the longevity of the Switch after DS drops off fairly quickly.

Around the Network
DitchPlaya said:

The Switch is not like the Wii no matter how badly you seem to want that to happen. It's still a popular game console despite the launch of the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 21 August 2021

DitchPlaya said:

You are right, this looks like a cliff, an upwards cliff. Just imagine how massive this would look, if Switch wasn't hit by semiconductor shortages.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in November 2005 in North America and December 2005 in Europe and Japan. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 315,294 – XSX|S

Total Lead: 2,433,224 – XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 6,438,380

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 4,005,156

July 2021 is the ninth month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox 360 by 315,294 units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 2.43 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 6.44 million units in nine months, while the Xbox 360 sold 4.01 million. million units. Month nine for the Xbox Series X|S is July 2021 and for the Xbox One is July 2006.

The Xbox 360 did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 14 where it had sold 7.99 million units.

The Xbox 360 crossed 10 million units sold in month 19, 20 million in month 34, and 30 million in month 43. The Xbox 360 sold 85.81 million units lifetime.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

We all know 360 was a late bloomer, so Series should stay ahead for at least the first 3-4 years.

SW-3707-5131-3911

kenjab said:

We all know 360 was a late bloomer, so Series should stay ahead for at least the first 3-4 years.

It is way too early to say if the Xbox Series X|S will outsell lifetime Xbox 360 sales. But with its stronger lineup going forward I think it is entirely possible. As long as the current momentum continues. Xbox 360 did get a huge boost from Kinect and I don't see anything coming to the Xbox that would cause such a boost in sales that late in its life as Kinect tapped into the casual market.