By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts July 2021 Discussion Thread

Nice to see XS still tracking comfortably ahead of Xbone even with supply constraints.

Hopefully this growth is sustainable and the Series can land closer to its venerable ancestor the 360 in lifetime sales. Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5, and Halo Infinite are good start, they'll just need to keep the first party parade going into 2022 and beyond, as well as boosting supply.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 August 2021

Around the Network

Switch already climbing almost as steeply as Wii's only remaining proper holiday, during the slowest time of the year. Wii's days in the lead are numbered in small digits.

Looking at that graph only further solidifies my stance that Switch will never sell DS level numbers, let alone higher. I'm standing my ground: I think Switch 2 is coming in 2023.

Dulfite said:

Looking at that graph only further solidifies my stance that Switch will never sell DS level numbers, let alone higher. I'm standing my ground: I think Switch 2 is coming in 2023.

To outsell the DS is not an easy task. The only reason I'm not saying "Switch will never outsell the DS" is because Nintendo already proved a lot of people to be wrong with their predictions.

The DS is an absolute titan of the industry in a league is shares with only one other system ever. Just staying within 10 million of it after more than four years is a big achievement.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Are you implying these two statements are related in any way?  The prospect of the Switch outselling the DS has absolutely no bearing on when the Switch's successor releases.

Even if hardware sales start to slip, if software keeps selling at a record breaking pace they may well choose to hold off on the successor until 2024.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:
Dulfite said:

Are you implying these two statements are related in any way?  The prospect of the Switch outselling the DS has absolutely no bearing on when the Switch's successor releases.

Even if hardware sales start to slip, if software keeps selling at a record breaking pace they may well choose to hold off on the successor until 2024.

The two are entirely connected. If Switch 2 comes out in 2023, it will be because Switch 1 sales have tapered off. And Switch 1 sales will only taper off if Nintendo starts shifting its development teams to making games for Switch 2, drying up the Switch 1 pipeline. And Nintendo will have planned out at least 1-2 years ahead of time for specific teams to make specific games for specific platforms. It's not like they will tell a development team, "Hey, you know that game you are making for Switch 2 based on upgraded hardware? Well, Switch 1 is still doing really well, can you dumb it down significantly so it releases on Switch 1 instead?" Plus, even if they did, that would diminish Switch 2's capabilities coming out the door even if they delayed its release because that development team will take longer to make their next game than the delay for the console's release.

All systems are gaining and that's with a massive shortage. Imagine when supply is no longer an issue, we could see Switch sales fall off faster than it did for the Wii. We used to call it the cliff, but I prefer the SWiitch!

DitchPlaya said:

All systems are gaining and that's with a massive shortage. Imagine when supply is no longer an issue, we could see Switch sales fall off faster than it did for the Wii. We used to call it the cliff, but I prefer the SWiitch!

As much as you want it to happen, it won't.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

DS remains awe-inspiring. Even with Switch having wind in its sails this and last year, DS has no problem whatsoever topping it. I guess it's an achievement in itself that Switch actually somewhat keeps up, and is the only system ever that even puts up a fight, but I doubt there will ever be another system that sells (pace) as DS in its prime did. I don't see Switch beating DS's lifetime sales, but it will come down to the longevity of the Switch after DS drops off fairly quickly.