By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware July 25-31 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Climb

SKMBlake said:
yo33331 said:

DS in comparison did show it's potential from the get go

Does "from the get go" mean "after having a smaller model with a price cut 2 years after its initial launch" ?

Cause if you recall correctly (and you must certainly not) on 4 DS models (DS, Lite, XL, DSi) the Lite sold 93 million, almors 2/3 of the DS sales. So I wouldn't say "from the get go".

The first two years the DS was behind the Switch even. 

Around the Network
DitchPlaya said:

People in denial over the cliff.

But PS5 sales are all from scalpers.

Lol, "the cliff" that was predicted but didn't happen in 2018, 2019, or 2020?  Sales don't go up forever, so a decline at some point is inevitable.  But, when it does, the people who have been waiting & even hoping for it for 4 years don't get to say, "see I told you so!"  Especially since a "cliff" implies a total collapse in sales.  

yo33331 said:
Kakadu18 said:

The first two years the DS was behind the Switch even. 

No, only the first year was weaker, (holiday don't counts for 1st years because it's only 2 months, so 2005 was weaker but after this it's second year was almost 21M

Yes, as I was saying, the launch of the DS Lite made that possible, not "from the get go" as you said 

DitchPlaya said:

One quarter of sales showing a decline from last year isn't really falling off a cliff.

Definitely can't conclude too much from a few weeks of sales, we need to see more prolonged trends. If there was a cliff, this next 12months would be where we would see it. No more big IPs landing for the first time (unless there's a surprise smash like what we saw with Momotaro in Japan and arguably Animal crossing globally), and a year of astronomical sales setting extremely high peak to fall from. Not sure OLED or the holiday line up will do as much as some are expecting but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm actually more curious to see whether MS having the stronger holiday line up leads to them over taking Sony in the US and gaining ground in Europe.

Around the Network

Sony once again proving their domination in Europe. I think this is one of the biggest leads in a week that the PS5 has had over the Switch.

It seems to be that Nintendo dominates Japan, Sony dominates Europe, while North America and the rest of the world are up for grabs by any of the big three.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

eva01beserk said:

I will reply again but please refrain from adding things I never said like you keep doing. 

1. Yes they do. The console market is very important. It's where the focus of game dev happens. Nintendo can do what ever they want and they always have. Its a free market. But nvidea also has a right to seek more benefits from a partnership. They are both free to stop cooperating when every they want.

2. I at no point related the CPU performance gains to the consoles. That point dint even refrence the consoles in any way. I said in the pc space this point in time resembles the point in time where amd beat intel and everybody was doubting. 

3. Again you keep saying that its selling the console. That dosent help game devs or improves tools or any of the sort for the pc side of nvidea. Put it this way. Assasins creed for xbox and PlayStation are developed with consoles first. But whatever they decide to do can be improve in the pc space since it uses the same tools. Any other title after that can call back whatever technique they used. But now lets talk raving ravids. After that game is done whatever they did will die there. Nothing used on an optimised switch game will be transalted to the latest ampere cards. It's developement that dosent help push nvidea cards. And power has nothing to do with it. I dont even know why you bring that up as I never mentioned power when talking tools like dlss or tensor cores. 

And again I never claimed only consoles push anything. I said its a big factor as they are the focuse of developemnt for the majority of devs. And selling a console is not as good as selling a console and spreading your dev tools. 

I'm going to use quotes so you know I'm not putting words in your mouth. 

1. I don't think you are understanding the point. If Nvidia needs Nintendo they are not in a position to make demands. They are in a position to compromise. Your argument suggests that because Nvidia CAN do something they WILL do something, but businesses are more careful with relationships than that. Especially Nvidia who has attempted to be a part of the console three times now and this is their first success. 

2. " Like amds succes can be atrubuted in some part to ps4 and x1." and "Look what happened to Intel. AMD slowly beat them in performance while everybody was dismising their gains with ryzen. We are seeing the exact same with rdna.". 

Are you saying that AMD's success was helped by the PS4 and Xbox One or no? I'm confused here. Was it only on the GPU side and not the CPU side? Because Ryzen launched in 2017, so either the PS4 and X1 helped with that or not, and, if they didn't, why are they helping with the GPU and not the CPU? For example, why are many games are still optimized for single core performance than multi core? I guess I can concede and say it's a factor because I don't want to say it isn't, but I don't agree that it's a significant factor. Nvidia still leads in both AI upscaling and raytracing by a significant margin (performance/quality wise). 

3. You didn't say power explicitly, but how are developers going to optimize for a Switch 2 if there isn't some power parity? What makes you think that a Switch 2 would be able to pull of something like raytracing when even the Steam Deck isn't going to without severe compromises? Mobile technology simply isn't ready for that, and unless Nintendo has plans to drop the entire concept of the Switch (unlikely), I don't see it happening. 

Look, it's been a cool debate, but I'm going to leave my argument at this. There is verifiable proof that Nvidia will continue making Tegra X1 chipsets, and they will do so until 2025. There is not verifiable proof that Nvidia is planning on stopping the production of the Tegra X1+ chip. In addition, this was supposed to happen in 2021, and we are already 2/3rds of the way through the year. If it happens, it happens and I'll admit I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening. I'll admit that Nvidia probably wants Nintendo to utilize hardware with DLSS, tensor cores, RTX, etc, but not in such a way that they would cannibalize profits and potentially hurt their relationship with the one hardware manufacturer that they've had a success with. Especially since they still hold majority share of the PC GPU market by a significant margin (and, in fact, have been increasing their marketshare since 2018). They aren't in a place where they need to make bold moves like that. 

Mandalore76 said:
DitchPlaya said:

Lol, "the cliff" that was predicted but didn't happen in 2018, 2019, or 2020?  Sales don't go up forever, so a decline at some point is inevitable.  But, when it does, the people who have been waiting & even hoping for it for 4 years don't get to say, "see I told you so!"  Especially since a "cliff" implies a total collapse in sales.  

Do you remember the Wii, how that was going to change gaming and was set to outsell the PS2? Well you might want to check up on its fourth year sales.

DitchPlaya said:

PS5 and XS supply are kicking into gear. They have already been cumulatively been beating the Switch and soon enough the PS5 will overtake it in weekly sales. Switch sales are slowing down but it could be at an unprecedented rate. In normal circumstances, the OLED model would've saved them but it seems for the first time in history, even the Nintendo fans aren't super keen.

Either way, nobody should worry that hardware sales are slowing down. It will mean that the third-party games that are so in vogue now with Switch users will dry up but the first-party is not going anywhere. Its crazy to think how the Switch despite its massive success is going to repeat some of history from both the Wii and the WiiU.

Right, third parties are just going to abandon a 100 million userbase because the hardware isn't selling more than all other platforms combined anymore. Makes sense.

DitchPlaya said:
Mandalore76 said:

Do you remember the Wii, how that was going to change gaming and was set to outsell the PS2? Well you might want to check up on its fourth year sales.

The Switch is in it's fifth year and has a way stronger lineup in it's sixth year than the Wii had in it's last two years combined.