By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware July 25-31 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Climb

Aaaand here come the doomers on cue.

This is the slowest time of year, there's a new model announced, and it's been several months without a big game, its normal for even a wildly successful console to have lulls; I checked the charts, and at this point in its life the PS4 was close to 200k a week.

Also, Switch's trajectory is nothing like Wii or Wii U.

Wii U never got off the ground to begin with, and Wii peaked in Year 2 compared to Year 4 for Switch.

By this point in its lifespan both Wii and Wii U were a desert with regards to software, yet Switch has a packed lineup for the rest of the year and a 2022 already stronger than Wii's 2011 and 2012 combined even with most of its significant games likely not announced yet.

There's no cliff here, it only seems low because we got so used to seeing Switch's insane peak numbers.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 August 2021

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

This is the slowest time of year, there's a new model announced, and it's been several months without a big game, its normal for even a wildly successful console to have lulls; I checked the charts, and at this point in its life the PS4 was close to 200k a week.

Wii U never got off the ground to begin with, and Wii peaked in Year 2 compared to Year 4 for Switch.

By this point in its lifespan both Wii and Wii U were a desert with regards to software, yet Switch has a packed lineup for the rest of the year and a 2022 already stronger than Wii's 2011 and 2012 combined even with most of its significant games likely not announced yet.

Take a step back before getting too excited, or better yet, try finding something better to do with your energy than getting invested in wanting a system to fail.

Yeah, this next quarter is going to be pretty low for Switch too but come October, Switch will be rocking again.  Last year there was pretty much nothing for the entire holiday quarter - just the lasting effect of the pandemic at its worst, Animal Crossing, and September's Mario 3D All-Stars.  This year there is Metroid, Mario Party, Pokemon, Shin Megami and Advance Wars (two of which are 10m+ sellers), and of course, the OLED model.  That's to say nothing of the possibility of Nintendo surprising us with a new DK this holiday.

Switch should at least match last year's 11.57m for the Oct-Dec quarter.

Last edited by archbrix - on 11 September 2021

Doctor_MG said:
eva01beserk said:

That's exactly why. Cuz why would nvidea want devs to optimize games for an architecture thats not relevant? They want their latest campers and tensor cores and dlss to be upfront in development. Its miss oportunity for them. Like amds succes can be atrubuted in some part to ps4 and x1. They became the primary target for all games. And now the consoles have the latest amd tech wich will push the latest tech even more. Nvidea needs Nintendo for that. They cant have amd dominate the console market. 

The main source of these rumors are being pushed by Moore law is dead channel. They have leak some big stuff before. I would say they are trust worthy. 

1: If Nvidia needs Nintendo why would they piss them off by stopping production of just the X1 units while still keeping manufacturing for much older units while the Switch is still at it's height (sales wise)? Nintendo would not want to work with them if they cut off the Switch prematurely. 

2: Nvidia is still the most popular brand of GPU out there. That is where they push their technology. They've offered DLSS technology en masse for anyone who wants to adopt it (as long as they have Nvidia GPU's). In addition, things like AMD FSR are GPU agnostic, so they aren't missing out even if some games do optimize for FSR. In addition, developers aren't targeting PC games the same way they are targeting the console games (that is, optimize based upon specific uniform hardware). AMD isn't getting better optimizations, if they were we would see consistent better performance than NVidia GPU's, would we not?

3: You're basically suggesting that Nvidia, who doesn't want AMD to rule the console market, would prematurely cutoff the Switch, the one console stopping AMD from ruling the console market and a sure fire success, in order to force Nintendo to make a console with unknown success? I don't think so. 

1. Because of the reason I just said. Did you miss it? 

2. Of course they still are. But if you limit your resoning to the last year or 2 you limit your ability to speculate on the future. Look what happened to Intel. AMD slowly beat them in performance while everybody was dismising their gains with ryzen. We are seeing the exact same with rdna. While rdna 2 is still behind ampere you cant say the gap is the same as rdna 1 and the 2000 series. And the comparison would be even worse with the by the 1000 series it was completly one sided. And I'm talking performance here to be clear. 

3. Switch is doing nothing from stoping the amd dominance in consoles. The switch does not get the main games coming on PC and ps and Xbox. It gets its own games with no comparisons and no optimisations on any competition. And all that is being driven 90% by Nintendo themselves and not the vast majority of devs that thrive on the other platforms. And even if the games come they will not be optimised for nvideas current tech they are trying to push like tensor cores rtx and dlss. So it dosent help them in the pc space. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

curl-6 said:

There's no cliff here, it only seems low because we got so used to seeing Switch's insane peak numbers.

If you are refering to my post I never claimed doom or clift for the switch. I said theres a rumor that nvidea is pushing for the succesor. I do agree the switch is doing great. Nintendo themselves dont want or need to hurry up a succesor. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

What with the DS than ? making way more sales than the Switch for those months june, july, august ? and not only once, but three consecutive years.

Another example with successful console. Why Switch is not doing what the DS did back in those years ? instead is doing way less of DS's sales in this period.

And again not only happened once but three times. Why you look the console with weaker peaks ? why you don't compare it to stronger sales console ?

DS did numbers over 2M per month in june and july, Switch is doing only some 1.3 or 1.5M way less than any of the peak periods DS has gotten. So it's not time of the year reason, and it's not the model and it's not the without big game reason. It's the system. It's successful but it has limits.

Why compare to the DS? That's not a normal successful system, it's the second highest selling of all time, with only one other system ever even being in the same league. Doing less than the DS isn't a sign of a system underperforming.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
curl-6 said:

If you are refering to my post I never claimed doom or clift for the switch. I said theres a rumor that nvidea is pushing for the succesor. I do agree the switch is doing great. Nintendo themselves dont want or need to hurry up a succesor. 

I wasn't referring to your post, if it seemed I was then that was not my intention. :)

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Why compare to the DS? That's not a normal successful system, it's the second highest selling of all time, with only one other system ever even being in the same league. Doing less than the DS isn't a sign of a system underperforming.

I am saying that doing 500k in the summer is possible and that the time of the year or the games are not reasons to not do 500k

You just have to be powerful as the DS

Wait, so now not doing 500k in Summer means a system is underperforming? That rules out almost every system ever. You're using frankly absurd standards here.

Thanks for the update. It's good to see both Playstation 5 and Xbox Series getting more love.

And I'm already wondering when will Switch reach the 100 million mark. Maybe early 2022...?

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Wait, so now not doing 500k in Summer means a system is underperforming? That rules out almost every system ever. You're using frankly absurd standards here.

No, you are absurd that are putting words in my mouth. I haven't said that. Just read my previous post .. I said that Switch is successful system. Just not on the DS's scale.

Doing 300K in summer is very good. What I am saying is that the games or the summer can't stop some system selling or doing 500k. If it has that success in it of course ..

Who in this thread was arguing the Switch was on DS's scale though? Why even compare it to DS to begin with? It just comes off as an attempt to downplay as almost every system ever seems low when you put it next to DS.

eva01beserk said:

1. Because of the reason I just said. Did you miss it? 

2. Of course they still are. But if you limit your resoning to the last year or 2 you limit your ability to speculate on the future. Look what happened to Intel. AMD slowly beat them in performance while everybody was dismising their gains with ryzen. We are seeing the exact same with rdna. While rdna 2 is still behind ampere you cant say the gap is the same as rdna 1 and the 2000 series. And the comparison would be even worse with the by the 1000 series it was completly one sided. And I'm talking performance here to be clear. 

3. Switch is doing nothing from stoping the amd dominance in consoles. The switch does not get the main games coming on PC and ps and Xbox. It gets its own games with no comparisons and no optimisations on any competition. And all that is being driven 90% by Nintendo themselves and not the vast majority of devs that thrive on the other platforms. And even if the games come they will not be optimised for nvideas current tech they are trying to push like tensor cores rtx and dlss. So it dosent help them in the pc space. 

1. But you said that Nvidia NEEDS Nintendo. Nintendo isn't fond of people trying to strongarm them into anything. That's why their partnership with Sony failed. Nvidia forcing Nintendo to come up with a new product when Nintendo isn't ready would just cause Nintendo to go elsewhere. 

2. You say that AMD is able to make CPU's now that outperform Intel and state the success of the PS4 helped with that, yet you say that selling older architectures (Tegra X1) doesn't push technology enough for it to be worth it. These two statements conflict with each other.

3. Switch is absolutely doing something from stopping the AMD dominance on consoles by being the best selling game console month after month. Also, ultimately, Nintendo is going to design the console they want based on THEIR needs, not Nvidia's. What if Nintendo wants to make another hybrid device? Do you really think that Nvidia is going to be able to match PS5 or XSX power in any capacity? 

I just don't understand why you think only consoles can push a certain technology. AMD was implemented by PS4 and XB1 because of price. The profit AMD has received from that partnership allowed them to R&D better hardware. It isn't because games are being optimized for consoles. Nvidia is probably making killer profit from their partnership with Nintendo. I don't see why they would end that during it's peak.