By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Deck Does What Nintendon't?

Conina said:
Conina said:

Yeah, especially with a mobile device, I find it annoying to lug around dozens of small game modules that can be lost, stolen or damaged in addition to the handheld when traveling.

Addition: digital games can't be chewed by a dog either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ov0id3/no_gaming_just_staying_home_with_dog/

I'm not sure why but this picture made me sad. Delete it please 

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
Conina said:

Why ain't the Steam Deck a hybrid system?

You can use it as a portable handheld.

You can probably use it as a home console wireless connected to a TV (BlueTooth / Miracast / SteamLink), optionally connecting additional gamepads.

You can use it as a home console connected to a TV with an USB-C -> HDMI cable.

You can use it as a PC with a first party or third party USB-dock (which allows connecting monitor, keyboard, mouse...)

It doesn''t get much more hybrid than that.

I knew it, the PSP Go was the first hybrid console ever! Nintendo copying Sony again!

For the record: I'm not serious. But going by the logic up there, Sony was first. 

As for the Steam Deck. It's a PC. Period. Just like with the PSP Go, you will need additional peripherals to use it with a TV, monitor or whatever. So I wouldn't exactly call that a hybrid. But what the hell do I know.

OdinHades said:
Conina said:

Why ain't the Steam Deck a hybrid system?

You can use it as a portable handheld.

You can probably use it as a home console wireless connected to a TV (BlueTooth / Miracast / SteamLink), optionally connecting additional gamepads.

You can use it as a home console connected to a TV with an USB-C -> HDMI cable.

You can use it as a PC with a first party or third party USB-dock (which allows connecting monitor, keyboard, mouse...)

It doesn''t get much more hybrid than that.

I knew it, the PSP Go was the first hybrid console ever! Nintendo copying Sony again!

For the record: I'm not serious. But going by the logic up there, Sony was first

As for the Steam Deck. It's a PC. Period. Just like with the PSP Go, you will need additional peripherals to use it with a TV, monitor or whatever. So I wouldn't exactly call that a hybrid. But what the hell do I know.

Bold: Definitely not Sony:

https://gamerant.com/portable-systems-connect-tv-before-switch/

Leynos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I'm sure if someone owns a physical copy then the software is their to use whatever they want as long they are not exploiting it commercially. Whatever issues Nintendo (or any developer) had to make it it's not my concern, they were already paid for the software they made

For digital I think you don't really have the ownership of your software there is only have a license for using it as long the publisher revoke it, although I don't know if this license is hardware-specific. I guess it's not

I don't buy for a second most people emulating modern games actually own them. It's just piracy. If you want to emulate Wolf Fang on Bulk Slash on SEGA Saturn. Run Saber on SNES, Ranger X on Genesis then I get it. Those games are stuck on consoles from 20+ years ago. Even PSP I get as Sony is not re-releasing those games.

I know right? Suddenly everyone is into emulating games. Piracy issues aside, Nintendo, as a first party developer, would have taken less risks with their games and green-lit less projects if they were just another third party publisher, or might not have existed at all because they wouldn't be as well-managed as they are today. Naturally, you are more likely to push ahead with risky projects just to sell more hardware. So, "I am going to emulate Switch games on X hardware" wouldn't sit well with me if I was Nintendo, especially that the Switch is strategically weaker than the competition, but that makes its exclusives the only ones emulatable right out of the gate. 

Conina said:
Conina said:

Yeah, especially with a mobile device, I find it annoying to lug around dozens of small game modules that can be lost, stolen or damaged in addition to the handheld when traveling.

Addition: digital games can't be chewed by a dog either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ov0id3/no_gaming_just_staying_home_with_dog/

What kind of idiot leaves them out? Put them back in the case and back on the shelf. Tho seeing Mario Party destroyed warms my metal heart.

Last edited by Leynos - on 01 August 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

HoangNhatAnh said:
OdinHades said:

For the record: I'm not serious. But going by the logic up there, Sony was first. 

OdinHades said:

For the record: I'm not serious. But going by the logic up there, Sony was first

This shitty list left out the  OG. SEGA Nomad.

Last edited by Leynos - on 01 August 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Has anything been said about how much heat this thing puts off? Gaming laptops have been known to get pretty hot. Curious about this thing.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:

Has anything been said about how much heat this thing puts off? Gaming laptops have been known to get pretty hot. Curious about this thing.

The Steam Deck has a modern APU with 15 watt TDP.

Total system power should be around 22 watt (APU + LCD + RAM + SSD) with unlocked fps and probably 12 - 22 watt with locked fps (depending on the game).

So it will use much less power than a gaming laptop and will therefore generate much less heat.

Leynos said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

OdinHades said:

This shitty list left out the  OG. SEGA Nomad.

At least it's still enough to prove my point.

CGI-Quality said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I mean, the reason I said what I said is because you were totally hyperbolic about it: "not even close" to it 5ft away and stuff, and not even "1/4"... And literally all the components inside a modern console operate like they do in a PC (just, again, custom form factor lol) We're talking the way the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, etc. all work is now identical in nature to PCs, and Xbox in particular is just using a customized Windows OS, now...  I think you were a bit dramatic with the "difference" is all I was going for haha!

It wasn't hyperbolic at all. Consoles are not PCs and don't come close to its total functionality. That is period, point blank. It's not a slight against them, it is simply stating what they are. A PC is much more than just Bus/CPU/GPU/RAM, etc. and consoles are not at all identical to them. They were cooked with custom parts based on shelf PC components, yes (and they certainly perform more like PCs than previous consoles), but they still lack many of the things it can do and are tailored made for games. They have a very, very long way to go before they can claim they're enough like a PC for this to make sense, and at that point, you may as well build a rig. 

Looking at the hardware side of things and that's where I become a bit more critical, because yes, while they're powerful closed platforms, they still aren't at a level I would like given how far ahead even a 2080ti is coupled with modern Core/Ryzen procs. In the case of the latter, I get it, because most games don't require more than 8 cores, but that's partially why they don't, because said games are made with consoles in mind. It's also why you don't see more customization on consoles, because the devices just aren't on that level. I could go on and on, but those are the key reasons why the statement wasn't just a shot in the dark.

Also, I'm not sure how you got things mixed up, because I never replied to you. ; - )

Iunno mang, you sounded pretty hyperbolic about it, lol

I mean, I surf the web on a browser, watch HBO Max, etc. on my Series X.  Just the mere fact that a console COULD do what you do on a PC merits its closeness more than "don't come close".  Heck, you recognize I video edit on my PC for my channel, and yet ALL THREE of the consoles can take clips and edit them to post to social media.  It's all down to just the software, man, and we'll have to agree to disagree.  You could easily say, "well software is half the battle", and that's still closer than 1/4

Besides, your PC can't suspend 5 different games and resume them like the Series X, so nyah! haha

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
CGI-Quality said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Iunno mang, you sounded pretty hyperbolic about it, lol

I mean, I surf the web on a browser, watch HBO Max, etc. on my Series X.  Just the mere fact that a console COULD do what you do on a PC merits its closeness more than "don't come close".  Heck, you recognize I video edit on my PC for my channel, and yet ALL THREE of the consoles can take clips and edit them to post to social media.  It's all down to just the software, man, and we'll have to agree to disagree.  You could easily say, "well software is half the battle", and that's still closer than 1/4

Besides, your PC can't suspend 5 different games and resume them like the Series X, so nyah! haha

To ever openly state that PC can't do something that a console can...... What makes that platform so great is you aren't restricted. Alt-Tab already allows one to open multiple games (and leave them open so they could go back to them whenever they want), browsers can remain open, a render in the background, Photoshop, benchmark (3DMark), streaming service(s), etc. Sure, you better have the RAM to do it, but that's not an issue I have and we're talking what is possible. What I just stated is a scenario I have actually been through on my rig. 'Sides, we really shouldn't try to pit my PC against a Series X.

In any event, your console won't ever be a PC. No pretzeling around that. Some of what you mentioned is nice, but that's as far as it goes. And it isn't just down to software. On PC, you have the hardware to do much more with said software and that is one of many reasons the devices will never be 1:1. I can name plenty of things a tablet can do that a laptop also can, but that tablet still isn't a laptop. Sharing functions doesn't make them one in the same.

Indeed, Series X should have to come with a Windows mode.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"