By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs Xbox One

Which is better?

Wii U 38 64.41%

Xbox One 21 35.59%

Total:59
IcaroRibeiro said:
SvennoJ said:

All XBox One games are on Series X, so XBox One has nothing?

If the argument is exclusivity defines whether a console is redundant or not, then yes, Xbone became redundant in the moment Series X launched 

It was redundant even before as it's games were also released on PC.

And that's still true with the XS, if you have a decent gaming PC, XS won't deliver you more games

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

If the argument is exclusivity defines whether a console is redundant or not, then yes, Xbone became redundant in the moment Series X launched 

And that's still true with the XS, if you have a decent gaming PC, XS won't deliver you more games

People should ask less about what the device delivery and more about HOW they delivery. How many PCs have resources to play games at the same level as a Series X? I guess not many 

Like the Switch, they can deliver Wii U, PS4 games and Xbone games with portability.  However Switch deliver PS4 games with less quality assets and lesser frames, hence many people still wanting to play them on PS4/Xbone. It will always be a matter of choice. There are differences between consoles and PCs that make some people leaning towards consoles and other towards PCs

Pointless would be 2 consoles that play exactly the same game at the same way

IcaroRibeiro said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

People should ask less about what the device delivery and more about HOW they delivery. How many PCs have resources to play games at the same level as a Series X? I guess not many 

Like the Switch, they can deliver Wii U, PS4 games and Xbone games with portability.  However Switch deliver PS4 games with less quality assets and lesser frames, hence many people still wanting to play them on PS4/Xbone. It will always be a matter of choice. There are differences between consoles and PCs that make some people leaning towards consoles and other towards PCs

Pointless would be 2 consoles that play exactly the same game at the same way

Considering the sales of GPUs of the level of a 3060Ti/6700XT/2080 or higher and the CPU sales, more than there are Series X, probably even quite a bit more than XS+PS5 combined. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Some people just prefer console gaming to PC, usually for the convenience. In that sense Xbox One and Series allow such gamers to play certain games not available on Playstation or Nintendo in the format they prefer. I'm considering getting an Xbox Series in the future just so I can play games like Hellblade 2 for example.

For me funnily enough it was the Switch rather than the Xbox Series or PC that eventually made Xbone redundant; there were some games like Witcher 3 and Doom 2016 that I wanted to play but couldn't on Wii U, yet they almost all have made their way to Switch.

That said, I personally try to judge each system on its merits or lack thereof rather than whether or not a later system supersedes it. In that respect I feel I must acknowledge there are some great games available on Xbone, there were just never enough of them to convince me to buy the system.

Usually prefer Nintendo, but in this case Xbox One easily. Game selection is much more vast, varied, and quality - even before 90% of Wii U's best titles got ported to Switch. And as I've stressed on quite a bit, I just don't dig that big clunky Fischer Price "Gamepad" and the convoluted Miiverse of Wii U. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

"There was no reason to get an XBox One, while there was a reason to own a WiiU. Admittedly not a big one, but it was there. So, WiiU."

And yet 3.5x more people actually bought the X1 over the Wii U, while the Wii U, with its BoW and its MK8 in all its glory, didn't manage to convince 20% of the previous owners to go out of their way to buy the system.

It is actually fascinating to read this thread; people tend to focus so much on what a platform can do that they ignore what it CAN'T. I mean, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of games that you CANNOT play on the Wii U. I mean, you cannot ask to a CoD, FIFA, AC, or a GTA fan what is their favorite console and seriously expect them to answer "they Wii U".

I thought at this point it was obvious that only the most hardcore Nintendo fans saw value on the Wii U proposition; heck, at this point it should be obvious that not even many hardcore fans saw value on it

chakkra said:
S.Peelman said:

"There was no reason to get an XBox One, while there was a reason to own a WiiU. Admittedly not a big one, but it was there. So, WiiU."

And yet 3.5x more people actually bought the X1 over the Wii U, while the Wii U, with its BoW and its MK8 in all its glory, didn't manage to convince 20% of the previous owners to go out of their way to buy the system.

It is actually fascinating to read this thread; people tend to focus so much on what a platform can do that they ignore what it CAN'T. I mean, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of games that you CANNOT play on the Wii U. I mean, you cannot ask to a CoD, FIFA, AC, or a GTA fan what is their favorite console and seriously expect them to answer "they Wii U".

I thought at this point it was obvious that only the most hardcore Nintendo fans saw value on the Wii U proposition; heck, at this point it should be obvious that not even many hardcore fans saw value on it

What is this about? Do you think I do not know that WiiU bombed? This is about what I deem better, and I have a PS4 on which I can play those games you mention if I wanted to, so yes, there was no reason to own an Xbox One, while there was a slim one to own a WiiU.

The Wii U is a beefed up Wii, which was a beefed up Game Cube, and can play games from 3 generations with some tweaks.
The Xbox One is a beefed up Xbox 360, which was a beefed up Xbox, and can play games from 3 generations with some tweaks.

One got a weird gimmick at launch, that faded out quickly, the other one too. There are a handful of interesting games in one, same as the other one, which all can be played on their successor in a superior version.

Hard to choose

The Wii and Xbox 360 are my #2 and #3 top consoles of all time, and both their successors were a severe disappointment to me, so I view both in a negative light truth be told.

Around the beginning of the 8th gen I assumed I would eventually get an Xbox One once the next gen Halo and Gears games released, but when they did neither impressed me, and it was the first Xbox console I skipped.

Wii U also felt much less fresh and interesting than its predecessor, and the droughts were absolutely brutal. In hindsight I would've been better off sitting out the entire generation and catching up on Switch, but of course at the time there was no way of knowing.

Both fall into a similar category as the Gamecube and Saturn for me; systems with a few genuine gems but a lot of problems. Thankfully Switch fixed just about everything wrong with Wii U and Xbox Series looks like it has the potential to be a much better system than the Xbone.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 July 2021

X1. WiiU got the better exclusives by a very long shot, but X1 have 3º party games covered, that said:
All Nintendo exclusives < All 3ºparty that you just can't play on WiiU, Xbox one wins on my book, for sure.