By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Deck 1 vs. Switch 2 - Which will be better?

Which will be a better overall device?

Steam Deck 1 11 28.21%

Switch 2 26 66.67%

I'm waiting for Steam Deck 2 0 0%

I'm waiting for Switch 3 2 5.13%

Total:39

I don't think Nintendo will even try to beat the specs of the steam deck. It's not a direct competitor anyway. Nintendo will just use hardware that is good enough for their purposes, but it won't be top notch or anything. Battery life will be more important anyway. So if the Switch 2 releases in 2023 or something, it will be on par with the Steam Deck at best if you ask me.

That said, the specs alone won't really determine which of the two is "better". That is entirely subjective. The Steam Deck will be better for me personally as I prefer the freedom I can only get on a PC. I would even prefer the Steam Deck if the Switch 2 gets a massive power upgrade over it, which is very unlikely. That said, if you love Nintendo games over all else, a Steam Deck won't do you any good with that, so a Switch 2 will be the better choice. I like both worlds, so I will get both devices anyway. And there's really no point in a direct comparison.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

I don't expect a Switch 2 any time soon maybe around 2024. So naturally I would hope that it has better specs than what the Deck has but it's Nintendo we're talking about so who knows.

Conina said:
Wman1996 said:

Well, there's virtually no way Switch 2 will have 16 GB RAM.

Why not?

Why should it? RAM is very useful for multitasking apps and assets in video game environments (plus some other things). Nintendo has usually shown they could care less about those two things. 

If Switch 2 is better than a PS4 in terms of specs, or around a PS4 Pro, 16 GB is overkill. Why would Nintendo put that much in it? Putting 16 GB of RAM in the Switch 2 would be like if they launched the Switch with 8 GB RAM back in 2017.

Now if Switch 2 does have 16 GB of RAM, that's cool. I just doubt Nintendo will put that much in there. Capcom had to request for Nintendo to give the Switch 4 GB RAM. So that means the Switch probably would've launched with 2 GB RAM or a weird 3 GB of RAM if Capcom hadn't made their case with Resident Evil.

Nintendo is famous for skimping on certain specs or features in their hardware to keep the costs down. I couldn't see them having a device with 16 GB RAM until Switch 2 Pro or Switch 3.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Isn't Switch's ARM procesor architecture better than the Deck's x86 when you have native support in both?

I mean, if we have a Switch 2 with the same specs as Deck.

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 21 July 2021

Wman1996 said:

Well, there's virtually no way Switch 2 will have 16 GB RAM. So that of course is already one way the Steam Deck will be superior. Switch 2 will probably have 8 GB RAM, maybe 10 GB (like the Xbox Series S). Switch 2 will probably have a slightly faster CPU and slightly better GPU.

The resolution will probably be pretty comparable. I do see Nintendo going above 720p, but not sure if they will go for 1080p. Switch 2 will probably have a 800p or 900p screen.

Overall in terms of horsepower, Switch 2 will probably be a superior device. That will be even more likely if it doesn't release until 2024 or 2025.

Really depends on the memory interface.
DDR5 should have twice the memory density as DDR4... In conjunction with much faster memory transfers.

Odd-ball numbers like 10GB will only be feasible if they go with an odd-ball memory interface. I.E. Each 2GB memory chip has 32bit bus for a 128bit memory interface in total... 10GB would bring it to 160bit.

Or they can do clamshell mode or somewhat... But it's not as elegant or as efficient.

JRPGfan said:

Steamdeck is rocking :
CPU: 4c 8t Zen2 @ 3,5 ghz
GPU: 1,64 Tflop RDNA2
Ram: 16GB LPDDR5 (88 GB/s memory bandwidth)

Thats pretty solid by todays standards.
Remember the Switch is like 197 Gflops to 240 Gflops, in handheld mode.
This things GPU is 7 times faster than the Switchs.

I think Nintendo "could" offer just as much as this, with a Switch 2.
Hopefully they have nvidia working on makeing the chip already, and now they have a goal to aim for (beating the Steamdeck in hardware).

Teraflops tells us absolutely nothing about performance. Nothing.

It's theoretical, not real world.

The RDNA2 chip in the Steamdeck is absolutely more efficient clock for clock, flop for flop than the Maxwell Tegra as well.

eddy7eddy said:

Isn't Switch's ARM procesor architecture better than the Deck's x86 when you have native support in both?

I mean, if we have a Switch 2 with the same specs as Deck.

Nope.
Ryzen is in a different league compared to the antiquated ARM A57 cores.

The Switch 2 however would probably use Denver or such... Even then Ryzen gets an easy home run.

AMD is leading the industry right now... Which has been a blessing for the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X... They aren't using the worst CPU's one can find on the market again.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 21 July 2021

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

The Highly likely scenario is that Switch 2 will have DLSS 3.0 due to a NVidia GPU, the Steam Deck uses a AMD GPU so it wont, Switch 2 will have an advantage in performance efficiency  

Switch is also set up with easy local multiplayer in mind as well, this does give it great flexibility in game features  

Last edited by Rab - on 21 July 2021

Power efficiency of ARM will defeat X86 in tiny tablets. Look at the most powerful single thread chip, a budget mobile 15W chip beating its 125W desktop competition.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html#

On top of that Switch 2 will again have a console low level API vs LINUX/Windows bloat layers.

Dulfite said:
holzi said:

The Switch is simple, it is fast, is flexible and it works.

Steam Deck is the secondary device for hardcore PC gamers, not more, not less. 

Steam Deck will not compete with the Switch. None of them will 'be better'. They cannot be compared that way. Specs simply do not matter.

The whole purpose of this thread, and I thought this was obvious, was to compare specs. I'm completely aware of both of these being targeted towards difference audiences and I think Switch 2 will be successful regardless of how Steam Deck does, but I still thought it would be fun to compare Deck 1 specs with hypothetical Switch 2 specs.

It would help if the thread wasn't so misleading to begin with. What makes a system 'better' is determined mostly by the software available and designed particularly for it.  If this thread is only about comparing specs then you should make that clear from the outset.

In specs probably the Steam deck, Nintendo wants to make profit on both hardware and software. Also the Switch 2 should at least have 6 hours of battery life, so it can probably pull less watts than the Steam deck.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

This is essentially the good old "console vs PC" question, taken to the handheld realm. And the answer is ... it depends