By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Deck 1 vs. Switch 2 - Which will be better?

Which will be a better overall device?

Steam Deck 1 11 28.21%

Switch 2 26 66.67%

I'm waiting for Steam Deck 2 0 0%

I'm waiting for Switch 3 2 5.13%

Total:39

Switch 2 isn’t a thing right now. So this topic is meaningless and fanboyish.

Last edited by Hynad - on 22 July 2021

Around the Network

Nin has been pretty conservative with their more recent hardware, even prior to Switch, so seeing them push the mobile limits would be a surprise. Nin also likes to make money on their hardware, and they'd have to remain under $500 max, which would really be pushing it in the handheld/hybrid/console space. 

We don't know exactly when a Switch 2 might be releasing and that's if Nin sticks with the same form factor again. That's not their style and it didn't work last time when Wii was a hit but then Wii U failed. If something fails hard for Nin they tend to move on and don't look back. This could push them to take a different route again or remain really conservative with Switch 2. Not wanting to risk another Wii U situation, or worse if the hardware was top tier and expensive for Nin. 

We don't have much in the way of reviews to know better what to expect out of the Steam Deck. We don't know how successful it will be. If it is, it's likely you'll see bi-yearly hardware upgrades worst case, so it wouldn't be fair to compare to a Switch 2 hybrid.

While Nvidia has DLSS 2.0 now, AMD recently released FSR. In terms of performance you now have DLSS at the bottom, FSR in the middle, and DLSS 2.0 at the top. While we know DLSS 3.0 is in the works, so is FSR 2.0, so both Switch 2 and Steam Deck would get performance/visual enhancements because of this.

*FSR is BC and officially goes back to Radeon 400 series cards, and works on many series before that unofficially. FSR also works on Nvidia cards! I've seen vids of it being used all the way back to GeForce 600 series cards. That's decade old hardware. 

The big positive is that this will push better hardware and/or pricing for a Switch 2 hybrid. 

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 22 July 2021

What I hope it to be and what it will be based on Nintendo's history are probably so far apart that I won't say a solid yes it will be better lol.

That dock on a Switch 2 needs to be more than a piece of plastic that holds the console. It is a wasted opportunity for docked mode not to utilise it.

Conina said:
Wman1996 said:

Well, there's virtually no way Switch 2 will have 16 GB RAM.

Why not?

Let's look at internal RAM history for Nintendo consoles:

NES had 2KB

SNES had 128KB (64 times more than NES)

N64 had 4mb standard, 8 mb expansion pack (31-63 times more than SNES)

Gamecube had 24mb (3-6 times more than N64)

Wii had 88mb (3.7 times more than GC)

Wii U had 2GB (22.7 times more than Wii, 83.3 times more than GC)

Switch has 4GB (2 times more than Wii U)

Based on this, I expect Switch 2 to have a big leap forward as they usually do that every 1-2 generations, and Switch was a minor upgrade over Wii U.

Shaunodon said:
Dulfite said:

The whole purpose of this thread, and I thought this was obvious, was to compare specs. I'm completely aware of both of these being targeted towards difference audiences and I think Switch 2 will be successful regardless of how Steam Deck does, but I still thought it would be fun to compare Deck 1 specs with hypothetical Switch 2 specs.

It would help if the thread wasn't so misleading to begin with. What makes a system 'better' is determined mostly by the software available and designed particularly for it.  If this thread is only about comparing specs then you should make that clear from the outset.

It would help if people read the first line of an OP rather than just the title of a thread. The first line I specifically mention specs, wanting to compare the specs, as in which console will have "better" specs. We could have avoided this whole silly side conversation altogether.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 22 July 2021

Around the Network
Hynad said:

Switch 2 isn’t a thing eight now. So this topic is meaningless and fanboyish.

Wow, so we aren't allowed to talk about future devices now? There is a lot of people out there that love discussing hypothetical future devices, otherwise we wouldn't have had all those Scarlet/Project Cafe/NX threads. It's fun, if you don't think it is then please leave the thread and don't insult those of us that enjoy this sort of talk by calling our discussion "meaningless and fanboyish."

I see people talking about prices and one thing to keep in mind is Nintendo likes to sell consoles at a profit, and at the rate we are going with inflation a 2023 or 2024 launch is going to have to be more expensive than OG Switch launch to make a profit. Under normal inflation adjustments, $300 in 2017 would be $345 in 2023. But we aren't going through normal inflation. President Biden is telling people it is temporary but I don't believe that whatsoever. Not trying to bring up politics by the way, but it relates to the topic of inflation which greatly influences cost of video game consoles. We may have to spend $400-450 on Switch 2 at the rate we are going and it will "feel" like $300 did in 2017 (to Nintendo) and will "feel" a lot worse to us since our wages haven't gone up even close like the rate of inflation.

Dulfite said:
Shaunodon said:

It would help if the thread wasn't so misleading to begin with. What makes a system 'better' is determined mostly by the software available and designed particularly for it.  If this thread is only about comparing specs then you should make that clear from the outset.

It would help if people read the first line of an OP rather than just at title of a thread. The first line I specifically mention specs, wanting to compare the specs, as in which console will have "better" specs. We could have avoided this whole silly side conversation altogether.

What's the point of having thread titles if people have to click on the thread to find out what it's actually about. 'Which will be better' and 'which will have better specs' are two different subjects.

N. will likely use the Nvidia Orin chipset, which is available as developer samples now and will be on the market in 2022. Probably a cut down version. Nvidia did hire developers specifically for game consoles based on Orin chipset.

CPU: 12x Arm Cortex-A78AE (Hercules) ARMv8.2-A (64-bit)
GPU: Ampere-based

Shaunodon said:
Dulfite said:

It would help if people read the first line of an OP rather than just at title of a thread. The first line I specifically mention specs, wanting to compare the specs, as in which console will have "better" specs. We could have avoided this whole silly side conversation altogether.

What's the point of having thread titles if people have to click on the thread to find out what it's actually about. 'Which will be better' and 'which will have better specs' are two different subjects.

You should never post something without reading the OP first, unless the OP is a wall of text. This was a short OP and there is no excuse to not read it.

Also, it doesn't say "Which would you prefer" or "Which are you more likely to buy" or "Which has the games you want on it" or anything subjective like that. Better simply means is the hardware's device collectively better or not?