By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Deck 1 vs. Switch 2 - Which will be better?

Which will be a better overall device?

Steam Deck 1 11 28.21%

Switch 2 26 66.67%

I'm waiting for Steam Deck 2 0 0%

I'm waiting for Switch 3 2 5.13%

Total:39

Well we literally know nothing about the Switch 2, though I am assuming the 4k DLSS rumors were actually about the Switch 2, and it's probably 3 years away so I would assume it'll be a little more powerful than the Steam Deck, though probably in roughly the same range. The 1080p screen and 16gb ram that Steam Deck has sounds about right for what Switch 2 will probably have though.

Doesn't really matter though. Switch 2 will be far more powerful than Switch which is the comparison that matters. Infinitely more interested in what ideas a Switch 2 allows Nintendo to bring to life and how next gen Zelda, Mario, etc will look/play/feel than a comparison with Steam handheld.

Around the Network

JRPGfan said:
Wman1996 said:

Well, there's virtually no way Switch 2 will have 16 GB RAM. So that of course is already one way the Steam Deck will be superior. Switch 2 will probably have 8 GB RAM, maybe 10 GB (like the Xbox Series S). Switch 2 will probably have a slightly faster CPU and slightly better GPU.

The resolution will probably be pretty comparable. I do see Nintendo going above 720p, but not sure if they will go for 1080p. Switch 2 will probably have a 800p or 900p screen.

Overall in terms of horsepower, Switch 2 will probably be a superior device. That will be even more likely if it doesn't release until 2024 or 2025.

Does Nvidia have a arm cpu, able to do that?
Does anyone? even apple with their new "M1" chip, Arm cpu's cores, are weaker no?

Zen 2 cores at 3,5ghz are pretty strong for a handheld device.

GPU is the only area I can see, the Switch 2, really winning.
Nvidia could make a ~1,6 Tflop mobile chip in this power package, and due to DLSS 2.1, they would beat out the performance (visually atleast), of this steamdeck.

Also yeah...  2023-2024 is likely when we'll see a new Switch 2 model.

Nvidia released a video about bringing RTX to Arm processors recently at GDC: https://youtu.be/VBfci5hYN1c

We will see a new tegra based lovelace chipset or a brand new mobile architecture from nivida based around ARM that will most likely  power the Switch 2. It's been about 5 years since the switch release so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a switch 2 reveal in September of 2023 with a release date in 2024. Like they did with the original switch reveal, Lovelace from Nvidia is expected to be released in the 3rd qtr of 2023.

PC > Consoles
SteamDeck > Switch

Dulfite said:
Shaunodon said:

What's the point of having thread titles if people have to click on the thread to find out what it's actually about. 'Which will be better' and 'which will have better specs' are two different subjects.

You should never post something without reading the OP first, unless the OP is a wall of text. This was a short OP and there is no excuse to not read it.

Also, it doesn't say "Which would you prefer" or "Which are you more likely to buy" or "Which has the games you want on it" or anything subjective like that. Better simply means is the hardware's device collectively better or not?

Yeah, see, you're arguing me about something I never claimed, that 'people should be able to comment based on thread title alone', and still ignoring the most important flaw with this thread.

"Steam Deck will not compete with the Switch. None of them will 'be better'. They cannot be compared that way. Specs simply do not matter." That was the original criticism from the other poster.

I did read the OP and still found it to be confusing. "Better regardless of sofware." The only thing that really matters when buying a gaming system is software (what's available, how it performs, how it fits the system etc.). Instead of using that roundabout and misleading language, you could've just clearly stated 'will have better specs' and there'd be no issues with anyone.

Even though I disliked being mislead into this thread and feeling clickbaited after reading the OP, I wasn't going to say anything until I saw others had pointed it out. I tried to help clear it up for you, but you seem defiant to accept no error on your part, so I have nothing more to say.

I mean I would expect the Switch successor to be fairly predictable hardware wise.

GB/GBC - NES range
GBA - SNES/Genesis range
DS - N64/PSX range
3DS - PS2 range
Switch - PS3+ range
Switch 2 - PS4 + range

The Steam Deck is basically a PS4+ tier of hardware, raw compute is maybe a tad less but the architecture being more modern, the CPU is far better, etc. makes it better.

I'd expect the same from Switch successor circa 2023 or 2024 but if they have DLSS 2.2 or whatever, it means the Switch only has to potentially render at a fraction of the pixel count, which makes a huge difference. You could have a game running at only 540p on Switch 2 but it could effectively output to 1080p or higher whereas 540p on the Steam Deck is going to be ... only 540p.

Buuut, by the the time Switch 2 comes out, Steam Deck 2 or even 3 might be out, probably at 5nm, and that will likely be better than Switch 2.