By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Nintendo Denies OLED Profit and Any More Iterations

What do you think?

OLED overpriced and Switch Pro incoming 5 10.87%

OLED overpriced, no Switch Pro coming 14 30.43%

OLED fairly priced, Switch Pro incoming 6 13.04%

OLED fairly priced, no Switch Pro coming 12 26.09%

Can everyone shut up 7 15.22%

About Switch Pro 0 0%

And please look 0 0%

forward to 0 0%

Switch 2!!!!! 2 4.35%

Total:46
Mandalore76 said:
Otter said:

Nothing is stopping a Switch game released in its 5th year becoming its best selling title. There isn't this binary where either Zelda BOTW2 sells 30m or Nintendo Launches Switch 2 in 2023....End-of-life software tends to perform worse but end of Life software which is on 2 platforms have better legs. Both Zelda games to break sales records for the franchise have been cross-gen. Miles Morales has remained in the UK top 10 for most of the year thanks to being cross-gen and launching alongside a new platform. PS4 software like TLOU2/Ghost/FFVII, still had a great year in 2020 despite the launch of a new platform during the Holiday. 

People are forcing a 2023 release vs 2024 into a make or break thing, its simply not. If one year makes sense, the other can't be far off

Being cross gen didn't get Twilight Princess or Breath of the Wild their explosive sales though, being launch games for Nintendo's 2 best selling consoles did.  The reason they weren't Gamecube exclusive or Wii U exclusive were because the system they were designed for was flopping by the time they were ready for release.  If Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword had been held back to release cross gen on N64/Gamecube and Wii/Wii U, it wouldn't have made them suddenly sell 10-20 million copies, and it also wouldn't have suddenly made Gamecube or Wii U successful hardware.

Exactly! They were able to be launch games because they were cross gen. 

Pretty confident that if Majoras Mask launched on gamecube & N64 in 2001 it would have sold a lot more. Same with Skyward Sword in 2012 on Wii U. The point was that software sales do not make a compelling argument against a 2023 release, because software can continue selling into the next generation as well as on old hardware (Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon for exampel..... of course could have sold even better if the Switch was BC or had a port). 

Edit: GTA4 is also a great example of evergreens continuing to sell into a new generation. Every week its in the top 10 based on PS4/X1 software sales. Nothings stopping Nintendo's big hitters from doing the same apart from the eventual release of their sequels like MK9 etc

Last edited by Otter - on 20 July 2021

Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:

Absolutely overpriced. In my opinion, Nintendo is kidding its customers with this price -.-
Nintendo earns an incredible amount and even sells minigames and remasters for full price for months.
they invest little money in most games, as you can see in the last 2-3 years.

Switch Pro will be released at the end of 2023, I think (80%).

2023 would be too late imo, for a Pro.

Basically I doubt there is a pro at all, if Nintendo doesnt launch one this year.
You want to make sure, theres a decent shelf life, for a Pro.... it needs to launch around mid gen or so.
Switch is past that part already.

Otter said:
archbrix said:

@bolded:  People really need to take note of this.  Super Mario Bros 3 released five years after the NES launched and went on to become the console's biggest selling stand-alone game of all time - by far.  Unlike with the Wii, Nintendo seems to be doing right by the Switch and its potential to keep selling tons of software by not rushing out a successor.  Still plenty of games to be made for the Switch; especially when the console will still be shipping close to 20m units in 2023 with all of the options Nintendo still has left to make sure that happens.

Nothing is stopping a Switch game released in its 5th year becoming its best selling title. There isn't this binary where either Zelda BOTW2 sells 30m or Nintendo Launches Switch 2 in 2023....End-of-life software tends to perform worse but end of Life software which is on 2 platforms have better legs. Both Zelda games to break sales records for the franchise have been cross-gen. Miles Morales has remained in the UK top 10 for most of the year thanks to being cross-gen and launching alongside a new platform. PS4 software like TLOU2/Ghost/FFVII, still had a great year in 2020 despite the launch of a new platform during the Holiday. 

People are forcing a 2023 release vs 2024 into a make or break thing, its simply not. If one year makes sense, the other can't be far off

@Mandalore76 already explained why cross-gen Zelda made sense before, but I'll elaborate. 

Say that BOTW2 would be ready by holiday of 2022, but Nintendo decides to sit on the game until holiday of 2023 to coincide with the release of Switch 2.  This is something that would make sense if the Switch were a struggling console.  But just like Super Mario 3 didn't need cross-gen with a premature release of the SNES, BOTW2 would be better served to release in 2022 as intended, making the next entry in the series a full-on Switch 2 project for a 2026 release (for the 40th anniversary).  Nobody is saying that software for Switch will completely dry up once Switch 2 releases, just that it's unnecessary for Switch 2 to release that soon when it's in Nintendo's best interest to maximize profits and software output for the hit system they already have.

Nintendo repeatedly expressing interest in giving the Switch a longer life span coupled with the Switch's sales momentum make a 2023 holiday release for Switch 2 unlikely, despite the fact that it's only a few months prior to March of 2024.  It's certainly not impossible that it could happen, but at this point, I think a March 2025 release for Switch 2 is just as likely as 2023.

RolStoppable said:
Metallox said:

That's a bit sad on one hand, man. No Nintendo console that is at least comparable to a PS4 until 2024-2025? Well, damn. 

I don't see any problem with this.

Very technically there isn't, but it doesn't mean it can't be disappointing. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

archbrix said:

@Mandalore76 already explained why cross-gen Zelda made sense before, but I'll elaborate. 

Say that BOTW2 would be ready by holiday of 2022, but Nintendo decides to sit on the game until holiday of 2023 to coincide with the release of Switch 2.  This is something that would make sense if the Switch were a struggling console.  But just like Super Mario 3 didn't need cross-gen with a premature release of the SNES, BOTW2 would be better served to release in 2022 as intended, making the next entry in the series a full-on Switch 2 project for a 2026 release (for the 40th anniversary).  Nobody is saying that software for Switch will completely dry up once Switch 2 releases, just that it's unnecessary for Switch 2 to release that soon when it's in Nintendo's best interest to maximize profits and software output for the hit system they already have.

Nintendo repeatedly expressing interest in giving the Switch a longer life span coupled with the Switch's sales momentum make a 2023 holiday release for Switch 2 unlikely, despite the fact that it's only a few months prior to March of 2024.  It's certainly not impossible that it could happen, but at this point, I think a March 2025 release for Switch 2 is just as likely as 2023.

I'm not arguing for BOTW2 to be delayed to line up with the Switch 2 (although that could happen organically :p), simply saying that maximising the profits of such a game shouldn't be a reason to argue against a 2023 successor. Games can release the same year of the new console (or the year before) and still sell a shit tonne of units, and even be boosted by the new hardware. Equally, games can release in absence of new hardware and find themselves with a dwindling or fickle audience, particularly with direct sequels like Mario Galaxy 2 for example.

Around the Network

There is no way they are releasing a OLED model to just move on to a new gen soon. Switch pro will def happen sooner or later.

JRPGfan said:
Dulfite said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-denies-another-switch-revision-is-being-planned/

So, looks like both the profit of $40 per OLED console (in addition to whatever they normally profit from Switch's being sold) is bogus. Also, great news for gamers like me that want Switch 2, as it looks like OLED is their final iteration of original Switch hardware! Or at least "at this time."

I am aware that "no plans for launching any other model at this time" doesn't necessarily mean they aren't developing another iteration and that they simply may not have planned out the launch date for it. I'm hopeful they don't release a Switch Pro, that way we can get a Switch 2 as early as possible (we will need it even more than a Pro if Valve succeeds at what they are trying to do and sales start to slow down). Hoping for 2023 Switch :)

Switch OLED $350

Custom Nvidia Tegra X1 SoC
4 core 4 thread ARM A57 CPU @ 1.0 GHz
0.16-0.24 TFLOPs (handheld) / 0.39 TFLOPs (docked) Nvidia Maxwell GPU (256 cores @ 307-768 MHz)
4 GB LPPDDR4 @ 25 GB/s
32/64 GB eMMC, + MicroSD card slot

7" 16x9 OLED 1280x720 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1
Dock - AC In (power), LAN, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 1.4 Out
Max AV Out - 1080p 60 Hz, PCM 5.1

SteamDeck $400

Custom AMD SoC
4 core 8 thread AMD Zen2 CPU @ 2.4-3.5 GHz
1.02-1.64 TFLOPs AMD RDNA2 GPU (512 cores @ 1.0-1.6 GHz)
16 GB LPDDR5 (88 GB/s)
64 GB eMMC (Gen2x1)+ MicroSD card slot

7" 16x10 LCD 1280x800 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0
Dock* - USB-C (for power), USB-C (to SteamDeck), LAN, USB-A 3.1, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 2.0 Out
Max AV Out - 2160p 120 Hz, PCM 7.1

50$ more (with the steamdeck) gets you:

x 4-7 ? cpu the CPU power

~7 times the GPU power

4 times the Ram size and ~4 times the memory bandwidth.

You can run switch games emulated, that run more smoothly than a switch does, with this thing.

How is it possible, the differnce is this big, if Nintendo isnt makeing a ton of profit on hardware unit sales?

I will never understand why people keep bringing up emulation like it isn't a horrible thing. Unless you buy the game first, you should never emulate. That deprives studios of earned money, which deprieves workers of earning higher wages, more days off, bonuses, and more coworkers from being hired to offload overtaxing expectations from project leaders. If we want a healthy video game market with many video games for all gamers, then gamers need to invest in video game companies. I wish this website would moderate suggestions of emulation (unless you already purchased the game in some way), but there are simply too many people here content with illegally downloading games to try to stifle it out I fear.

TomaTito said:
JRPGfan said:

Switch OLED $350

Custom Nvidia Tegra X1 SoC
4 core 4 thread ARM A57 CPU @ 1.0 GHz
0.16-0.24 TFLOPs (handheld) / 0.39 TFLOPs (docked) Nvidia Maxwell GPU (256 cores @ 307-768 MHz)
4 GB LPPDDR4 @ 25 GB/s
32/64 GB eMMC, + MicroSD card slot

7" 16x9 OLED 1280x720 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1
Dock - AC In (power), LAN, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 1.4 Out
Max AV Out - 1080p 60 Hz, PCM 5.1

SteamDeck $400

Custom AMD SoC
4 core 8 thread AMD Zen2 CPU @ 2.4-3.5 GHz
1.02-1.64 TFLOPs AMD RDNA2 GPU (512 cores @ 1.0-1.6 GHz)
16 GB LPDDR5 (88 GB/s)
64 GB eMMC (Gen2x1)+ MicroSD card slot

7" 16x10 LCD 1280x800 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0
Dock* - USB-C (for power), USB-C (to SteamDeck), LAN, USB-A 3.1, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 2.0 Out
Max AV Out - 2160p 120 Hz, PCM 7.1

50$ plus *

You should wait and see how much they will charge for the Steam Dock.

Not just that, but that basic model has almost no memory. PC games aren't optimized and compressed like console games, and most console games aren't done like Nintendo console games. It will require a lot more memory to download games on Steam Deck than on Switch, which means you will need probably minimum of 250, probably 500g MicroSD card, maybe more depending on how many games you want to have permanently on the device. So dock + larger microSD card.

xMetroid said:

There is no way they are releasing a OLED model to just move on to a new gen soon. Switch pro will def happen sooner or later.

If they release a Pro after OLED, then expect Switch 2 to launch roughly 2 years later, which would, quite simply, suck. I don't want times 2 versions of all their big hitters simply because they are constrained by Switch 1 limitations. I want the next big Mario, the next big Zelda, the next big Mario Kart. I don't want sequels to all those games limited by Switch hardware. They won't seem nearly as fresh or memorable as they would if they were made for Switch 2. As excited as I am by Botw 2, I am far more excited by the Zelda made exclusively for Switch 2. I truly hope SM Odyssey 2 (or whatever the next game is) comes out exclusively on Switch 2. The only games I'm content releasing on the Switch, at this point, are ones that haven't already had versions released so far (Metroid Prime 4, Metroid Dread, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, a new Donkey kong game, etc).

Well Nintendo denies new hardware iterations often, even when they're working on them or at least considering them. Didn't they say this in 2019, only months before the Switch Lite launched?
If we still somehow get a Switch Pro, it won't be this year. Switch OLED is out in October, and they're not gonna release a Switch Pro in November or December after constantly denying it this late into the year.
2021 was one of the last possible years to release a Switch Pro. Even if the Switch 2 doesn't come out until 2024 (which is likely), a mid-gen power upgrade 5 years after the platform launched is pushing it. I don't think that's ever happened. I know some people see the Game Boy Color as that, which took forever. But I still see the Color as a successor to the original Game Boy.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima