By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Nintendo Denies OLED Profit and Any More Iterations

What do you think?

OLED overpriced and Switch Pro incoming 5 10.87%

OLED overpriced, no Switch Pro coming 14 30.43%

OLED fairly priced, Switch Pro incoming 6 13.04%

OLED fairly priced, no Switch Pro coming 12 26.09%

Can everyone shut up 7 15.22%

About Switch Pro 0 0%

And please look 0 0%

forward to 0 0%

Switch 2!!!!! 2 4.35%

Total:46

I always thought that rumor sounded fishy. I'm no expert or anything, but I figure better screen, better speakers, and more hard drive space costs a little more than 10 bucks.

Around the Network

I'm fine with this. If they have to release any different model, I want it to be a successor console. And I want the Switch to last as much as possible.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

heavenmercenary01 said:

Still, hoping for switch's successor in 2023 when you have a pretty strong lineup with major titles in 2022 remains quiete unreasonable to me honestly.
In addition, we have to remind every time that Furukawa said that switch just entered its second half of existance, and they are willing to make switch have longer lifecycle than usual. This will give switch an average of 8 years lifetime. March 2025 will be appropriate because cutting switch's legs right now is the dubest thing that Nintendo can do.

He said that a year ago, actually slightly more than a year ago. I believe it was June 2020. That was 3 years and 2 months after Switch release, so of course that is entering its second half. Now, over a year later, we are in its last two thirds.

Why would we want to keep using Switch hardware, which is just slightly better than Wii U, which was 360/ps3 level until 2025? Why tolerate that? I love the Switch, and I loved the Wii U, but why should we just be content with a device lasting until 2025? That's a crazy long time to wait for an upgrade. 8 years on a 360/ps3 (slightly better) device is ridiculous.

Darwinianevolution said:

I'm fine with this. If they have to release any different model, I want it to be a successor console. And I want the Switch to last as much as possible.

Yep. Solution is keep Switch 1 going after Switch 2 comes out. Have games continue to be made for Switch 1, but also come out on Switch 2. Have games be made exclusively for Switch 2. 1 sales will go down over time but still sell a lot, 2 will grow over time. Still one unified development team and they can maximize profits.

RolStoppable said:

Furukawa has repeatedly stated that the historical 5-6 year cycle isn't smart, that's why Nintendo is looking to give Switch a longer lifecycle than previous consoles, because when the market allows it, why shouldn't Nintendo follow that. So far their actions have backed up these words, be it pricing of the console itself or game announcements which in the past used to wind down from year 5 onwards, but that isn't the case this time around.

Whenever the situation allows it (meaning good hardware momentum), Nintendo times releases to maximize profitability. So your idea that games are supposed to release as soon as they are completed fails to take into account that Nintendo isn't selling only software. Likewise, it's easy to reschedule work on games that are currently in development, so in case there would already be games in development for a Switch successor, their production timeline would get stretched out or put on hold due to higher priority for Switch games in the nearer future.

The reason why selling only 10-15m Switch units in a year would still be fine is because the userbase would still be very active and buy a ton of games. There's much more profit to be made from software than from hardware, hence why rushing out a successor doesn't make sense. Aside from that, Switch's sales momentum is too good to fall to only 10-15m in 2023.

@bolded:  People really need to take note of this.  Super Mario Bros 3 released five years after the NES launched and went on to become the console's biggest selling stand-alone game of all time - by far.  Unlike with the Wii, Nintendo seems to be doing right by the Switch and its potential to keep selling tons of software by not rushing out a successor.  Still plenty of games to be made for the Switch; especially when the console will still be shipping close to 20m units in 2023 with all of the options Nintendo still has left to make sure that happens.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
heavenmercenary01 said:

Still, hoping for switch's successor in 2023 when you have a pretty strong lineup with major titles in 2022 remains quiete unreasonable to me honestly.
In addition, we have to remind every time that Furukawa said that switch just entered its second half of existance, and they are willing to make switch have longer lifecycle than usual. This will give switch an average of 8 years lifetime. March 2025 will be appropriate because cutting switch's legs right now is the dubest thing that Nintendo can do.

He said that a year ago, actually slightly more than a year ago. I believe it was June 2020. That was 3 years and 2 months after Switch release, so of course that is entering its second half. Now, over a year later, we are in its last two thirds.

Why would we want to keep using Switch hardware, which is just slightly better than Wii U, which was 360/ps3 level until 2025? Why tolerate that? I love the Switch, and I loved the Wii U, but why should we just be content with a device lasting until 2025? That's a crazy long time to wait for an upgrade. 8 years on a 360/ps3 (slightly better) device is ridiculous.

Pretty sure Furukawa said it entered the middle of it's life last year, not directly the second half. Longer than usual is 7+ years. He wouldn't say anything like that if he meant 6 years, because that is not longer at all. Splatoon 3 in 2022 to me is still a big indicator of the Switch successor not launching in 2023.

RolStoppable said:

Switch 2 in 2023 would be one of the dumbest things Nintendo could do. The ideal timing for a Switch successor is a launch during the fiscal year where the current Switch platform can be expected to fall below 10m units in shipments and that's not anytime soon.

That's a bit sad on one hand, man. No Nintendo console that is at least comparable to a PS4 until 2024-2025? Well, damn. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

noshten said:

Fudging the truth when making financials statements can land you in hot water

This isn't a financial statement and was done by the PR department also it is vague and uses the term more profitable and rebuts it by saying this is not the case, that statement doesn't tell us anything about the  pricing one way or the other in regard to cost of manufacture, I mean the oled switch giving Nintendo a better return on the hardware doesn't automatically mean an improvement in Switch profitability .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

padib said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I agree they aren't making 40 USD more profit from OLED, but to say this won't increase their profit margins is disingenuous

They are telling us point blank that it won't increase their profit margins, probably because those are the numbers of price versus cost.

Not sure why you would think it's disingenuous, what motivations and what numbers did you have in mind?

They may even be reducing their profit margins due to new costs of parts, manufacturing, distribution and marketing. All we know is that the profit margins won't be increasing versus the old model.

Also, it may be advantageous for them to announce an increased profit margin to investors, so I'm not sure what's disingenuous.

The fact is it's a PR statement not a financial statement and doesn't rule out the OLED switch being more profitable just that we won't see an increase in the Switches profitability and it could be linked to other factors like scale of manufacture uptake etc and since the wording is vague it may be linked with the switch's projected overall earnings.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Dulfite said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-denies-another-switch-revision-is-being-planned/

So, looks like both the profit of $40 per OLED console (in addition to whatever they normally profit from Switch's being sold) is bogus. Also, great news for gamers like me that want Switch 2, as it looks like OLED is their final iteration of original Switch hardware! Or at least "at this time."

I am aware that "no plans for launching any other model at this time" doesn't necessarily mean they aren't developing another iteration and that they simply may not have planned out the launch date for it. I'm hopeful they don't release a Switch Pro, that way we can get a Switch 2 as early as possible (we will need it even more than a Pro if Valve succeeds at what they are trying to do and sales start to slow down). Hoping for 2023 Switch :)

Switch OLED $350

Custom Nvidia Tegra X1 SoC
4 core 4 thread ARM A57 CPU @ 1.0 GHz
0.16-0.24 TFLOPs (handheld) / 0.39 TFLOPs (docked) Nvidia Maxwell GPU (256 cores @ 307-768 MHz)
4 GB LPPDDR4 @ 25 GB/s
32/64 GB eMMC, + MicroSD card slot

7" 16x9 OLED 1280x720 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1
Dock - AC In (power), LAN, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 1.4 Out
Max AV Out - 1080p 60 Hz, PCM 5.1

SteamDeck $400

Custom AMD SoC
4 core 8 thread AMD Zen2 CPU @ 2.4-3.5 GHz
1.02-1.64 TFLOPs AMD RDNA2 GPU (512 cores @ 1.0-1.6 GHz)
16 GB LPDDR5 (88 GB/s)
64 GB eMMC (Gen2x1)+ MicroSD card slot

7" 16x10 LCD 1280x800 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0
Dock* - USB-C (for power), USB-C (to SteamDeck), LAN, USB-A 3.1, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 2.0 Out
Max AV Out - 2160p 120 Hz, PCM 7.1

50$ more (with the steamdeck) gets you:

x 4-7 ? cpu the CPU power

~7 times the GPU power

4 times the Ram size and ~4 times the memory bandwidth.

You can run switch games emulated, that run more smoothly than a switch does, with this thing.

How is it possible, the differnce is this big, if Nintendo isnt makeing a ton of profit on hardware unit sales?