By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam deck won't kill Switch might hurt Switch oled but not normal Switch.

I don't think Steamdeck will be able to compete with any of the console manufactures until they're selling it in mainstream, physical stores and the average joe thinks of it in the same way they think of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. It might do well, relatively speaking, but it won't take them down.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

The Steam Deck addresses a different audience, is more expensive, has a shorter battery life, is heavier and storage is limited unless you buy the extra expensive model and even then games take more space than on the Switch because they won't be optimised for the Steam Deck. Also the Switch is generally more convenient because you don't need to do stuff like install Windows and you know exactly that all games available are able to run on the system, what isn't necessarily the case with the Steam Deck.

The most powerfull handheld was always the least selling. The Steam Deck having high specs doesn't mean anything. It's been said over and over again: the Atari Lynx and Game Gear were destroyed by the Game Boy, the PSP sold just over half of what the DS sold, the Vita was destroyed by the 3DS. It's always "OMG we have the highest specs!" and then they fail. Same with home consoles except for the PS4.

Handheld gamers don't care about specs.

It won't have any impact on the Switch whatsoever.

Different audience indeed, which leaves me kinda puzzled with how high the hype is for this handheld. It's no 4K, no 1440p, it's effectively 720p. Going from a big desktop screen (or multiple) with keyboard, mouse, hotas and what not, to a handheld.

It's a very cool peace of tech, yet as you said, it will require work to get things running smoothly with the control options you want. And some games probably are better left on the desktop when it comes to lots of menus with small text. The thought of having FS2020 on a handheld is very cool, however thinking of actually playing it on a handheld, no way. I mean, I'm 'playing' it right now, listening to the plane engine, my music while alt-tabbing back and forth to check the scenery and distance left to the next airport.

I can think of very few PC games I would want to actually play on a handheld, however I think the same about the Switch. It will be a device to show off for sure, lots of you tube videos incoming with everything people can think of to run on it. But it won't persuade any Switch buyers to switch.

It's definitely gonna cost Switch at least one sale. Probably just one, but that's something.

Leynos said:

Valve has a history of bad hardware support.

What exactly do I need hardware support from Valve for? It's a PC for crying out loud. My self-built machine also doesn't have support from any hardware manufacturer and it works just fine and will continue to do so for many years to come.

I think many folks still don't get that this handheld is not a console and is not competing with one.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Leynos said:
Chazore said:

You made two doom and gloom posts bud, no need to put words in your ,outh when you're doing it for me. 

Don't like it, don't comment and move on. Practice what you preach. 

No one was talking to you. You quoted me. I never spoke to you. I never said Valve sucked. It's just people should keep their expectations in check. You got offended. Poor you. Who cares. Valve has a history of bad hardware support. That's a statement of fact not dooming. Sorry your feelings got hurt over plastic.

Some of us actually have our expectations in check though lol. It's the retards on the net like that troll image you posted from an actual troll that create overhype and misinformation.

I'm not even remotely offended, I just think you're a dude who's very doomy gloomy and have been since you got here. Valve doesn't have a history of bad hardware support though, if you'd actually read where you got that insipid image from, and what Yuri posted on the main PC thread, you would know, but you don't, so I'm calling  you out on that.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

What exactly do I need hardware support from Valve for? It's a PC for crying out loud. My self-built machine also doesn't have support from any hardware manufacturer and it works just fine and will continue to do so for many years to come.

I think many folks still don't get that this handheld is not a console and is not competing with one.

He seems to believe that meme is actually true for some reason, when it's actually wrong on many levels.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Although I have no interest in getting one myself, I'm kinda just happy dedicated handhelds are making something of a comeback, and are such a hot topic of conversation right now. It wasn't too long ago that everyone was pronouncing handhelds dead.

The Steam Deck is cheaper than the Switch OLED in TCO because of the cheaper game price (and only $50 more). It is a PC and will work forever regardless of what Valve does. It does not have bad battery life, that's a lie. Can't wait on release when people set Doom Eternal to the same settings as it is on the Switch and the battery lasts twice as long. Same settings means longer battery life. You can expect very long battery life for indie games as promised, up to 8 hours. etc. etc. etc. anyways I won't bother arguing with the Nintendo brains around here... they basically resort to "ours sells better" as if that means anything for arguments, at all.

Then when you are done playing with your Steam Deck, maybe you buy version 2 in a few years, you just set it up as a second home computer for anyone with a mouse and keyboard, your grandma, if you want. This is a $400 computer. Unbeatable.

Alistair said:

The Steam Deck is cheaper than the Switch OLED in TCO because of the cheaper game price (and only $50 more). It is a PC and will work forever regardless of what Valve does. It does not have bad battery life, that's a lie. Can't wait on release when people set Doom Eternal to the same settings as it is on the Switch and the battery lasts twice as long. Same settings means longer battery life. You can expect very long battery life for indie games as promised, up to 8 hours. etc. etc. etc. anyways I won't bother arguing with the Nintendo brains around here... they basically resort to "ours sells better" as if that means anything for arguments, at all.

Then when you are done playing with your Steam Deck, maybe you buy version 2 in a few years, you just set it up as a second home computer for anyone with a mouse and keyboard, your grandma, if you want. This is a $400 computer. Unbeatable.

It's not so much "ours sells better,"  it's more the fact that you guys seem to think that Nintendo is never going to release new hardware ever again, lol.

Leynos said:

People still use IGN?

Yeah. IGN is more popular than Nintendo Switch, apparently.