By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam deck won't kill Switch might hurt Switch oled but not normal Switch.

Paperboy_J said:
Alistair said:

The Steam Deck is cheaper than the Switch OLED in TCO because of the cheaper game price (and only $50 more). It is a PC and will work forever regardless of what Valve does. It does not have bad battery life, that's a lie. Can't wait on release when people set Doom Eternal to the same settings as it is on the Switch and the battery lasts twice as long. Same settings means longer battery life. You can expect very long battery life for indie games as promised, up to 8 hours. etc. etc. etc. anyways I won't bother arguing with the Nintendo brains around here... they basically resort to "ours sells better" as if that means anything for arguments, at all.

Then when you are done playing with your Steam Deck, maybe you buy version 2 in a few years, you just set it up as a second home computer for anyone with a mouse and keyboard, your grandma, if you want. This is a $400 computer. Unbeatable.

It's not so much "ours sells better,"  it's more the fact that you guys seem to think that Nintendo is never going to release new hardware ever again, lol.

Comparison one dedicated console with Arm processor from 2017 with a new one will launch in 2022 and uses x86 architecture, it's

dishonest at a best. I will buy the 512 GB version or Aya Neo, but the weaker version maybe have two problems, storage and speed reading of SD card, PC is not optimized for SD reading for games, let see how VALVE tackle this problem.

Last edited by Agente42 - on 19 July 2021

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
Paperboy_J said:

It's not so much "ours sells better,"  it's more the fact that you guys seem to think that Nintendo is never going to release new hardware ever again, lol.

Comparison one dedicated console with Arm processor from 2017 with a new one will launch in 2022 and uses x86 architecture, it's

dishonest at a best. I will buy the 512 GB version or Aya Neo, but the weaker version maybe have two problems, storage and speed reading of SD card, PC is not optimized for SD reading for games, let see how VALVE tackle this problem.

All models do have a NVMe (2230) slot though its not recommended to be user replaced.

Probably due to the way they put the device together which is not designed to be swapped out by the average consumer. Its possible though as Gabe Newell himself replied to someone via email (found on Reddit) asking whether that slot being user replaceable and he replied "2230 m.2 slot". This was before the specs were put up. As did the one of the engineers at Valve (from the unveil video). Its not for everyone though and will likely void your warranty.

And besides A2 Micro-SD's are a thing as are USB storage options.

Last edited by hinch - on 19 July 2021

Somini said:

It won't hurt the switch, it never meant to anyways. It will and has however hurt it's fanatics! Anywhere i go i see them reassuring themselves or bashing the thing. It's funny.

I'm pretty sure the "Switch Killer" phrase was almost immediately getting tossed around by a particular fanbase.  Which is the really funny part considering the OLED preorders still sold out immediately.

Mandalore76 said:
Somini said:

It won't hurt the switch, it never meant to anyways. It will and has however hurt it's fanatics! Anywhere i go i see them reassuring themselves or bashing the thing. It's funny.

I'm pretty sure the "Switch Killer" phrase was almost immediately getting tossed around by a particular fanbase.  Which is the really funny part considering the OLED preorders still sold out immediately.

The PC one?, because I didn't see that being tossed around all that much on reddit (let alone here). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

hinch said:
Agente42 said:

All models do have a NVMe (2230) slot though its not recommended to be user replaced.

Probably due to the way they put the device together which is not designed to be swapped out by the average consumer. Its possible though as Gabe Newell himself replied to someone via email (found on Reddit) asking whether that slot being user replaceable and he replied "2230 m.2 slot". This was before the specs were put up. As did the one of the engineers at Valve (from the unveil video). Its not for everyone though and will likely void your warranty.

And besides A2 Micro-SD's are a thing as are USB storage options.

USB storage lost portable strong position. I love to open my devices and add things or fix them. But it's not the norm for most people. 

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

With the hype of Steam Deck going higher than ever, and what people don't talk about besides the incredible price drops on AAA games is the mods for steam are incredible and downloading a mod is really nice online , there's many different mods like enhancing graphics, changing your character to another character and the notorious NSFW mods . Steam deck is a must have including AAA 3rd party games not found on Switch , it has XBox and few Sony exclusives. They added retro arch to steam . Steam deck won't kill switch too many people love smash bros ultimate and other first party games on switch it won't kill it your girlfriend won't drop animal crossing on switch .you won't drop breath of the wild 2 or monster hunter rise ? many people think this will kill switch oled maybe the oled but not the switch v2 or switch lite. Steam Deck is welcomed and I'm proud Gabe Newell made PC more mainstream and affordable. 

A "Ryzen 5 4500U" apu is basically powerfull enough to run almost all switch games flawlessly.
This newer tech "Van gogh" apu, is better in everyway.

day1, the Steam deck, will run all switch games at 100% speed.

Also due to retro arch/citra/PPSSPP emus, it will also run PSP ,PS2, Wii, Gamecube, 3DS, NES/snes, ect games

Switch OLED $350

Custom Nvidia Tegra X1 SoC
4 core 4 thread ARM A57 CPU @ 1.0 GHz
0.16-0.24 TFLOPs (handheld) / 0.39 TFLOPs (docked) Nvidia Maxwell GPU (256 cores @ 307-768 MHz)
4 GB LPPDDR4 @ 25 GB/s
32/64 GB eMMC, + MicroSD card slot

7" 16x9 OLED 1280x720 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1
Dock - AC In (power), LAN, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 1.4 Out
Max AV Out - 1080p 60 Hz, PCM 5.1

SteamDeck $400/$530/$650

Custom AMD SoC
4 core 8 thread AMD Zen2 CPU @ 2.4-3.5 GHz
1.02-1.64 TFLOPs AMD RDNA2 GPU (512 cores @ 1.0-1.6 GHz)
16 GB LPDDR5 (@ 88 GB/s)
64 GB eMMC (Gen2x1) / 256/512 GB NVMe SSD (Gen3x4), + MicroSD card slot

7" 16x10 LCD 1280x800 @ 60 Hz (SDR)
USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0
Dock* - USB-C (for power), USB-C (to SteamDeck), LAN, USB-A 3.1, USB-A 2.0 x2, HDMI 2.0 Out
Max AV Out - 2160p 120 Hz, PCM 7.1

it has like x4 to x7 times the CPU power, and ~7 times the GPU power, 4 times the Ram size, and ~4 times the memory bandwidth.

There will be switch games, that run more smoothly (less stutter/dips in fps) on this (emulated), than on a normal Switch.

That said, I agree.
It wont hurt Switch sales (barely any).
Because the common user, wont resort to fiddling to get console games playable. They enjoy ease of use, and doing it legally.
However, I could see a group of the more "nerdy" types, that get the Steam Deck, and use it as a Switch Pro.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 20 July 2021

Leynos said:

Which was the "glorified tech demo" for the HTC Vive?

6912 games have Remote Play together support

3540 games have official Steam controller support

25194 games have full controller support, which includes the Steam controller

18464 games have SteamOS support

5737 games have Vive support

5383 games have Valve index support

Millions of Steam users have access to Steam Link (now software based)

Totally bad support track record...