By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam deck won't kill Switch might hurt Switch oled but not normal Switch.

OdinHades said:

What exactly do I need hardware support from Valve for? It's a PC for crying out loud. My self-built machine also doesn't have support from any hardware manufacturer and it works just fine and will continue to do so for many years to come.

I think many folks still don't get that this handheld is not a console and is not competing with one.

He seems to believe that meme is actually true for some reason, when it's actually wrong on many levels.

Around the Network

Although I have no interest in getting one myself, I'm kinda just happy dedicated handhelds are making something of a comeback, and are such a hot topic of conversation right now. It wasn't too long ago that everyone was pronouncing handhelds dead.

The Steam Deck is cheaper than the Switch OLED in TCO because of the cheaper game price (and only $50 more). It is a PC and will work forever regardless of what Valve does. It does not have bad battery life, that's a lie. Can't wait on release when people set Doom Eternal to the same settings as it is on the Switch and the battery lasts twice as long. Same settings means longer battery life. You can expect very long battery life for indie games as promised, up to 8 hours. etc. etc. etc. anyways I won't bother arguing with the Nintendo brains around here... they basically resort to "ours sells better" as if that means anything for arguments, at all.

Then when you are done playing with your Steam Deck, maybe you buy version 2 in a few years, you just set it up as a second home computer for anyone with a mouse and keyboard, your grandma, if you want. This is a $400 computer. Unbeatable.

Alistair said:

The Steam Deck is cheaper than the Switch OLED in TCO because of the cheaper game price (and only $50 more). It is a PC and will work forever regardless of what Valve does. It does not have bad battery life, that's a lie. Can't wait on release when people set Doom Eternal to the same settings as it is on the Switch and the battery lasts twice as long. Same settings means longer battery life. You can expect very long battery life for indie games as promised, up to 8 hours. etc. etc. etc. anyways I won't bother arguing with the Nintendo brains around here... they basically resort to "ours sells better" as if that means anything for arguments, at all.

Then when you are done playing with your Steam Deck, maybe you buy version 2 in a few years, you just set it up as a second home computer for anyone with a mouse and keyboard, your grandma, if you want. This is a $400 computer. Unbeatable.

It's not so much "ours sells better,"  it's more the fact that you guys seem to think that Nintendo is never going to release new hardware ever again, lol.

Leynos said:

People still use IGN?

Yeah. IGN is more popular than Nintendo Switch, apparently.

Around the Network
Paperboy_J said:
Alistair said:

It's not so much "ours sells better,"  it's more the fact that you guys seem to think that Nintendo is never going to release new hardware ever again, lol.

Comparison one dedicated console with Arm processor from 2017 with a new one will launch in 2022 and uses x86 architecture, it's

dishonest at a best. I will buy the 512 GB version or Aya Neo, but the weaker version maybe have two problems, storage and speed reading of SD card, PC is not optimized for SD reading for games, let see how VALVE tackle this problem.

Last edited by Agente42 - on 19 July 2021

Agente42 said:
Paperboy_J said:

Comparison one dedicated console with Arm processor from 2017 with a new one will launch in 2022 and uses x86 architecture, it's

dishonest at a best. I will buy the 512 GB version or Aya Neo, but the weaker version maybe have two problems, storage and speed reading of SD card, PC is not optimized for SD reading for games, let see how VALVE tackle this problem.

All models do have a NVMe (2230) slot though its not recommended to be user replaced.

Probably due to the way they put the device together which is not designed to be swapped out by the average consumer. Its possible though as Gabe Newell himself replied to someone via email (found on Reddit) asking whether that slot being user replaceable and he replied "2230 m.2 slot". This was before the specs were put up. As did the one of the engineers at Valve (from the unveil video). Its not for everyone though and will likely void your warranty.

And besides A2 Micro-SD's are a thing as are USB storage options.

Last edited by hinch - on 19 July 2021

Somini said:

It won't hurt the switch, it never meant to anyways. It will and has however hurt it's fanatics! Anywhere i go i see them reassuring themselves or bashing the thing. It's funny.

I'm pretty sure the "Switch Killer" phrase was almost immediately getting tossed around by a particular fanbase.  Which is the really funny part considering the OLED preorders still sold out immediately.

Mandalore76 said:
Somini said:

It won't hurt the switch, it never meant to anyways. It will and has however hurt it's fanatics! Anywhere i go i see them reassuring themselves or bashing the thing. It's funny.

I'm pretty sure the "Switch Killer" phrase was almost immediately getting tossed around by a particular fanbase.  Which is the really funny part considering the OLED preorders still sold out immediately.

The PC one?, because I didn't see that being tossed around all that much on reddit (let alone here). 

hinch said:
Agente42 said:

All models do have a NVMe (2230) slot though its not recommended to be user replaced.

Probably due to the way they put the device together which is not designed to be swapped out by the average consumer. Its possible though as Gabe Newell himself replied to someone via email (found on Reddit) asking whether that slot being user replaceable and he replied "2230 m.2 slot". This was before the specs were put up. As did the one of the engineers at Valve (from the unveil video). Its not for everyone though and will likely void your warranty.

And besides A2 Micro-SD's are a thing as are USB storage options.

USB storage lost portable strong position. I love to open my devices and add things or fix them. But it's not the norm for most people.