By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam deck won't kill Switch might hurt Switch oled but not normal Switch.

Honestly don't see it selling. Who wants one? Steam and pc gaming is mouse and keyboard, not small screen joypad. I don't know what gabe was thinking honestly.

Around the Network

I will buy one Steam Deck ( I was looking for a GPD Win 3 or Aya Neo before), but Nintendo Switch is not only a handheld console, it´s a hybrid system with only the base console purchased. The 3 ways of play, the indie market, and Nintendo IP are the pillars of the Nintendo machine. Steam Deck needs some adjustment for good competition ( a dock, more storage, and one detachable controller).

It´s more a niche product when you compare it to the Nintendo system. Some games to work need Windows OS for working. So the steam library does not work 100% before the launching. 

KratosLives said:

Who wants one? 

Me

IcaroRibeiro said:
KratosLives said:

Who wants one? 

Me

I want one. But uses the wait and see approach after the launch. 

It won't effect Switch sales one bit. The hype will die down soon. The first units aren't out until December and waiting lists are already to Q4 2022. Meanwhile the Switch is available to buy. The Switch also just works. Steam Deck has a lot of possibilities, but most people just want to pop in / download a game and go, without looking at specs, tweaks, mods, compatibility with controls etc. Whether Steam Deck can offer that experience is the big question. For enthusiasts it's a great device, yet convenience is what counts in the end.

What effects Switch sales is not having a standalone option. I would buy a console version in a heartbeat.

Around the Network

it won't kill or hurt anything

Will it even outsell the Vita

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 17 July 2021

KratosLives said:

Honestly don't see it selling. Who wants one? Steam and pc gaming is mouse and keyboard, not small screen joypad. I don't know what gabe was thinking honestly.

It had 100,000 reservations in less than 2 hours before the reservation leak got fixed and while the reservations website kept on crashing so clearly... People want one... It's also locked to certain regions as well which excludes Asia region. Also we don't know the number for $399 model not to mention you can only order through Steam.

It really doesn't have to sell Switch levels to be a success...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Thing will be hyped for now and be a whimper when it releases

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's an interesting product. I wont be buying it anytime soon but will keep an eye on it. If its successful and supported I may one day get it a few years from now. I doubt it has any effect on the Switch, but it hopefully pushes Nintendo to make a more powerful next gen system when the time comes. If the steamdeck can have 16gbs of ram on a 399 price hopefully the next Nintendo system has at least 8gb.

lol

I would be suprised if it even reaches 1 million