By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam deck won't kill Switch might hurt Switch oled but not normal Switch.

it won't kill or hurt anything

Will it even outsell the Vita

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 17 July 2021

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

Honestly don't see it selling. Who wants one? Steam and pc gaming is mouse and keyboard, not small screen joypad. I don't know what gabe was thinking honestly.

It had 100,000 reservations in less than 2 hours before the reservation leak got fixed and while the reservations website kept on crashing so clearly... People want one... It's also locked to certain regions as well which excludes Asia region. Also we don't know the number for $399 model not to mention you can only order through Steam.

It really doesn't have to sell Switch levels to be a success...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Thing will be hyped for now and be a whimper when it releases

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's an interesting product. I wont be buying it anytime soon but will keep an eye on it. If its successful and supported I may one day get it a few years from now. I doubt it has any effect on the Switch, but it hopefully pushes Nintendo to make a more powerful next gen system when the time comes. If the steamdeck can have 16gbs of ram on a 399 price hopefully the next Nintendo system has at least 8gb.

lol

I would be suprised if it even reaches 1 million

Around the Network

It wont do either. Valve has been trying to get into the console market for a while. Remember the Steam controller and the Steam Link? Valve wants a Steam console or something akin to it. This is another attempt at that goal. Switch is selling really well so Valve figured they can do the same with their Steam library. I think the issue is that PC folks don't want to move over, and people on consoles are fine where they are at. I figure this will fizzle like all of Valve's grand plans.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Nah totally different audiences.

Steam hardware are for PC users who are invested in that ecosystem and Nintendo for theirs. Granted some PC gamers who also bought Nintendo consoles might instead invest in these new mini portable PC's going forward, it won't affect Nintendo sales in any meaningful way.

Last edited by hinch - on 17 July 2021

The Steam deck won't "kill" it but it will hurt sales. People got the message "this is what is possible" vs. the Switch OLED being based on 7 year old 2014 cellphone hardware (the Deck is using current laptop hardware, not mobile hardware, it is much more powerful for both those 2 reasons).

IGN's Nintendo podcase had 4 people interested in buying the Steam Deck and only one person interested in the Switch OLED.

I think the only issue for Valve is the device is a little big and heavy. Engineering isn't as good as Nintendo's OLED model even if the APU is 10x better. Nintendo just needs to get their Switch 2 out soon and it will match the Deck in performance.

Apple badly needs to enter this space with their M1X product. $600 for a gaming device it would sell crazy with an M1X.

Don't pretend the Steam Deck isn't popular. It has now been pre-ordered to Q3 next year. In a week if you place an order you might have to wait until next Christmas 2022.

Last edited by Alistair - on 17 July 2021

Alistair said:

The Steam deck won't "kill" it but it will hurt sales. People got the message "this is what is possible" vs. the Switch OLED being based on 7 year old 2014 cellphone hardware (the Deck is using current laptop hardware, not mobile hardware, it is much more powerful for both those 2 reasons).

IGN's Nintendo podcase had 4 people interested in buying the Steam Deck and only one person interested in the Switch OLED.

I think the only issue for Valve is the device is a little big and heavy. Engineering isn't as good as Nintendo's OLED model even if the APU is 10x better. Nintendo just needs to get their Switch 2 out soon and it will match the Deck in performance.

Apple badly needs to enter this space with their M1X product. $600 for a gaming device it would sell crazy with an M1X.

Don't pretend the Steam Deck isn't popular. It has now been pre-ordered to Q3 next year. In a week if you place an order you might have to wait until next Christmas 2022.

Standard Switch won't be hurt in any way 

Steam Deck isn't a mass market product, the copies are limited. Even if every game in the world wake up tomorrow suddenly decide Switch is overpriced what can anyone possible do? Wait 2 years until Valve has established their production line (if ever)?

Switch by all means still the only handheld in the console market. It's a monopoly, it can't be challenged anytime soon. Up to Switch 2, then maybe, maybe Nintendo can face a degradation in hardware and software sales, as gamers will have an option to play indies and third parties somewhere else

Until there no chance 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Alistair said:

Standard Switch won't be hurt in any way 

Steam Deck isn't a mass market product, the copies are limited. Even if every game in the world wake up tomorrow suddenly decide Switch is overpriced what can anyone possible do? Wait 2 years until Valve has established their production line (if ever)?

Switch by all means still the only handheld in the console market. It's a monopoly, it can't be challenged anytime soon. Up to Switch 2, then maybe, maybe Nintendo can face a degradation in hardware and software sales, as gamers will have an option to play indies and third parties somewhere else

Until there no chance 

Wrong. "Won't be hurt in any way" is too strong. It changes Switch buyer's expectations, that alone will lead to lower sales. More people will wait for the Switch 2, or avoid buying the Switch OLED, or just hold on if their Switch breaks etc. Not every Switch buyer is interested in a Steam Deck, that is not how it works.