By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam deck won't kill Switch might hurt Switch oled but not normal Switch.

Alistair said:

Wrong. "Won't be hurt in any way" is too strong. It changes Switch buyer's expectations, that alone will lead to lower sales. More people will wait for the Switch 2, or avoid buying the Switch OLED, or just hold on if their Switch breaks etc. Not every Switch buyer is interested in a Steam Deck, that is not how it works.

It won't. The currently situation for the handheld market is Switch or nothing. If people want a handheld, they will buy whatever is available they won't just stop gaming and wait. And this is considering demand for Switch is small: It's not, it's crazy high. Why would demand for a hot product decrease if you just don't have any other option left? 

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Thing will be hyped for now and be a whimper when it releases

Yeah we already got that sentiment from your first comment, followed by the other comment you made on one of the articles.

We get it, you think it's gonna die, Valve are shit and will never support anything ever. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Never said Valve was shit. Don't put words in people's mouths. Don't like a post then move on.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

You guys remember those rumours about Switch Pro?

I Remember how a user said a company might have payed news sites to push those fake rumours, to sabotage for Nintendo. Sabotage as in, fans would be dissapointent If it wasn’t true.
Few days ago valve announced steam deck, a powerful handheld gaming device, a week after Nintendo oled was announced. When the dissapointment was still fresh among fans.

Those dissapointed people now flock to pre order steam deck. And call it, ”what a Switch pro should have been”.
Valve is rich enough to pay several big news sites like Bloomberg to push those fake rumours.
First i thought Sony may have done that. But now it seems more likey that was Valve.
Prestigous tech news sites don’t create fake hardware rumours, it damages their reliability, UNLESS they were payed a hefty sum by one of the richest gaming companies in the market.

Or

Im totaly wrong and no company payed for those fake rumours and news sites genuinly want ppl to distrust them

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Alistair said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Standard Switch won't be hurt in any way 

Steam Deck isn't a mass market product, the copies are limited. Even if every game in the world wake up tomorrow suddenly decide Switch is overpriced what can anyone possible do? Wait 2 years until Valve has established their production line (if ever)?

Switch by all means still the only handheld in the console market. It's a monopoly, it can't be challenged anytime soon. Up to Switch 2, then maybe, maybe Nintendo can face a degradation in hardware and software sales, as gamers will have an option to play indies and third parties somewhere else

Until there no chance 

Wrong. "Won't be hurt in any way" is too strong. It changes Switch buyer's expectations, that alone will lead to lower sales. More people will wait for the Switch 2, or avoid buying the Switch OLED, or just hold on if their Switch breaks etc. Not every Switch buyer is interested in a Steam Deck, that is not how it works.

The Steam Deck addresses a different audience, is more expensive, has a shorter battery life, is heavier and storage is limited unless you buy the extra expensive model and even then games take more space than on the Switch because they won't be optimised for the Steam Deck. Also the Switch is generally more convenient because you don't need to do stuff like install Windows and you know exactly that all games available are able to run on the system, what isn't necessarily the case with the Steam Deck.

The most powerfull handheld was always the least selling. The Steam Deck having high specs doesn't mean anything. It's been said over and over again: the Atari Lynx and Game Gear were destroyed by the Game Boy, the PSP sold just over half of what the DS sold, the Vita was destroyed by the 3DS. It's always "OMG we have the highest specs!" and then they fail. Same with home consoles except for the PS4.

Handheld gamers don't care about specs.

It won't have any impact on the Switch whatsoever.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 17 July 2021

Around the Network
Alistair said:

The Steam deck won't "kill" it but it will hurt sales. People got the message "this is what is possible" vs. the Switch OLED being based on 7 year old 2014 cellphone hardware (the Deck is using current laptop hardware, not mobile hardware, it is much more powerful for both those 2 reasons).

IGN's Nintendo podcase had 4 people interested in buying the Steam Deck and only one person interested in the Switch OLED.

I think the only issue for Valve is the device is a little big and heavy. Engineering isn't as good as Nintendo's OLED model even if the APU is 10x better. Nintendo just needs to get their Switch 2 out soon and it will match the Deck in performance.

Apple badly needs to enter this space with their M1X product. $600 for a gaming device it would sell crazy with an M1X.

Don't pretend the Steam Deck isn't popular. It has now been pre-ordered to Q3 next year. In a week if you place an order you might have to wait until next Christmas 2022.

Bold: As if this has any meaning.

People still use IGN?

Kristof81 said:

Atari Lynx, Gamegear, PSP, Vita didn't hurt Nintendo and all of them were far superior when it comes to hardware, compared to Nintendo's counterparts. Besides the Switch is over 4 years old at this point. Even if the Steam Deck is wildly successful, it might be just enough for Nintendo to release a successor to Switch earlier or do the price cut of their current consoles. Either way, the consumer wins.

Moreover, they didn't hurt them despite being there to directly compete with them, which is not the case of the valve handheld.

Leynos said:

Never said Valve was shit. Don't put words in people's mouths. Don't like a post then move on.

You made two doom and gloom posts bud, no need to put words in your ,outh when you're doing it for me. 

Don't like it, don't comment and move on. Practice what you preach. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Leynos said:

You made two doom and gloom posts bud, no need to put words in your ,outh when you're doing it for me. 

Don't like it, don't comment and move on. Practice what you preach. 

No one was talking to you. You quoted me. I never spoke to you. I never said Valve sucked. It's just people should keep their expectations in check. You got offended. Poor you. Who cares. Valve has a history of bad hardware support. That's a statement of fact not dooming. Sorry your feelings got hurt over plastic.

Last edited by Leynos - on 18 July 2021