By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I know why the Switch OLED is more expensive

Has larger native storage as well right?

Around the Network
Rab said:

Plus the additional padding added to the new dock, these little nubs should prevent the screen scratching FUD present since the original dock.

Source

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
Rab said:

Plus the additional padding added to the new dock, these little nubs should prevent the screen scratching FUD present since the original dock.

Source

TomaTito you naughty boy!! It isn't even out yet and you've broken it already ?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:

TomaTito you naughty boy!! It isn't even out yet and you've broken it already 😢

All in the name of science!

Made it better for ventilation, but the new vents should help in that respect too.

---
EDIT: Hmmm, what is this lower vent for???

... wait, the nub was already there!?

Last edited by TomaTito - on 08 July 2021

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

mjk45 said:
burninmylight said:

So you're saying that Nintendo could have given the Switch an OLED screen for the same price all along, but moving the brightness sensor from the face of the unit to the top was such a costly process (hundreds of millions into research and development) is what drives up the price?

I'm no hardware expert, so it checks out with me.

I'm a Hardware expert so you have to listen to me, Sony accidently ordered millions of Vita OLED screens after they had already changed the Vita screens to LCD  but because the desert where Governments and Corporations love to hide their shit was full of dumped ET carts, they had no alternative but to keep them hidden in the warehouse that warehouse unbeknownst to them also housed another secret, a batch of prototype Virtual boy 2's.

It was during a search and destroy mission to eliminate any remnants of that dark past that Nintendo found those Vita screens and made a deal where Sony got to  save years of R&D costs simply by readying those Virtual boy 2 Prototypes for mass production and branding them PSVR 2 and in return Nintendo received the OLED screens free of charge, but unfortunately Nintendo forgetting to account for the labour costs involved in glueing the Vita screens together and then cutting them to fit the Switch.

Breaking news.. My connections at Nintendo have assured me that using the very best accounting practices that can be procured from the interwebz the actual cost is $100 per unit so in their own words  "Nintendo is once again generously subsidising it customers and should be praised for doing so".

Just got off the phone with my uncle who works at Nintendo (well more of an uncle-in-law; he's Japanese, and I'm not), he made me promise not to tell anyone that Nintendo plans to maintain the same profit margins when it inevitably does a price drop for the Switch in the future by stealthily removing the brightness sensor entirely. The nickel/dime they save per unit is roughly equal to the $50 that will be slashed from each model.

Around the Network

Setting the price is one of the most important parts of marketing any product. The price is higher because they want it to seem like a premium product.

- Bigger and better OLED screen: $20
- Bigger storage: $3
- Better Audio capabilities: $10
- Larger Kickstand: $1
- Improved dock: $6
- Fucking up the expectations of those who were awaiting a "Pro" model: Priceless

burninmylight said:
mjk45 said:

I'm a Hardware expert so you have to listen to me, Sony accidently ordered millions of Vita OLED screens after they had already changed the Vita screens to LCD  but because the desert where Governments and Corporations love to hide their shit was full of dumped ET carts, they had no alternative but to keep them hidden in the warehouse that warehouse unbeknownst to them also housed another secret, a batch of prototype Virtual boy 2's.

It was during a search and destroy mission to eliminate any remnants of that dark past that Nintendo found those Vita screens and made a deal where Sony got to  save years of R&D costs simply by readying those Virtual boy 2 Prototypes for mass production and branding them PSVR 2 and in return Nintendo received the OLED screens free of charge, but unfortunately Nintendo forgetting to account for the labour costs involved in glueing the Vita screens together and then cutting them to fit the Switch.

Breaking news.. My connections at Nintendo have assured me that using the very best accounting practices that can be procured from the interwebz the actual cost is $100 per unit so in their own words  "Nintendo is once again generously subsidising it customers and should be praised for doing so".

Just got off the phone with my uncle who works at Nintendo (well more of an uncle-in-law; he's Japanese, and I'm not), he made me promise not to tell anyone that Nintendo plans to maintain the same profit margins when it inevitably does a price drop for the Switch in the future by stealthily removing the brightness sensor entirely. The nickel/dime they save per unit is roughly equal to the $50 that will be slashed from each model.

They should have used the same Nintendo R&D guys that came up with the idea to duct tape two gamecubes together and call it the Wii, those guys would have stripped everything out of the old dock painted it white and sold it as a new lightweight version, while selling separately a cardboard box containing the hdmi- Lan - ac adaptor sockets as a premium upgrade with the option of an extra ten bucks getting you some Nintendo seal of quality double sided tape to attach it to your new lightweight dock. and those guys would have used a sticker for their brightness sensor that way with any upgrade they could easily replace it with another sticker picturing the latest sensor.

WARNING:  removal of any stickers or use of unauthorised tape will void all the warranties.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 08 July 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

TomaTito said:
mjk45 said:

TomaTito you naughty boy!! It isn't even out yet and you've broken it already 😢

All in the name of science!

Made it better for ventilation, but the new vents should help in that respect too.

---
EDIT: Hmmm, what is this lower vent for???

... wait, the nub was already there!?

Enough space to store games there.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

It's more expensive because it can be, without hurting sales